Dark Souls... On the Go!

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
katelyn3 said:
Dark Souls on a portable console?... I don't know how to feel about that. On one hand, I really loved this game and I spent hours trying to clear the entire thing. On the other hand, I really don't want to be sent to the asylum for screeching at the air whenever I die.

I'm curious to see if they're gonna change anything in the gameplay though, like how they bound controllers to the hands in Skyrim.
I'm also curious about how to adapt the game not having a way to pause. Monster Hunter added an automatic pause feature at closing the 3DS. It will be interesting if they do the same.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
McMarbles said:
Nice. Both "Only Console Games You're Allowed To Like On The Escapist" are on the Switch.
Um...think I missed the memo.

Chimpzy said:
- Donkey Kong Country Tropical Free
They're releasing it for free? Awesome!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
That's cool for those who want it on the go, but I'm way more interested in playing it at 60fps on the PS4 Pro.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
DS1 is one of the worst PC ports I've ever played, let's see how it turns out first. Still haven't bought 3 though, but got Bloodborne from the christmas discount bin for the near future when I'll buy a PS4.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
McMarbles said:
Nice. Both "Only Console Games You're Allowed To Like On The Escapist" are on the Switch.
Dark Souls, sure. But I've never seen a whole lot of love for Skyrim around here.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
McMarbles said:
Dark Souls, sure. But I've never seen a whole lot of love for Skyrim around here.
Skyrim got a whole lotta love, like, 8 years ago. After the 500th iteration it does get a bit stale though.

Not excited for portable Souls, or other switch remasters. If it's a game I liked, chances are I've already played it and replayed it to contentment. Still waiting for Bayonetta 2.

I have been enjoying Fire Emblem Warriors on the 3DS though, seems like a very closely produced game with a lot of the elements of the strategy game included. Gets a bit frustrating at times when you can't just relax and slash things and the objectives get in the way, but is great fun regardless. Can always grind if wanting to do something a bit more relaxed.

The only things that's put me off about the Switch other than waiting for games I like is that it's just not quite as portable...and pulling that thing out of my bag to play in public seems a little, I dunno weird at my age (36). The 3DS is bad enough, but the size of the switch is a different matter..

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Chimpzy said:
- Super Mario Odyssey free mp update.
while the DLC looks fun i wouldn't exactly call it "multiplayer" DLC since you're not actually playing with others.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Hawki said:
Chimpzy said:
- Donkey Kong Country Tropical Free
They're releasing it for free? Awesome!
No, sadly, I just made a typo. Should've been Tropical Freeze. Ehm, oopsie? Would've been nice if it really was a freebie.
Yoshi178 said:
while the DLC looks fun i wouldn't exactly call it "multiplayer" DLC since you're not actually playing with others.
You're right, I misinterpreted that. Mea culpa.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Chimpzy said:
No, sadly, I just made a typo. Should've been Tropical Freeze. Ehm, oopsie? Would've been nice if it really was a freebie.
Curses!

(And yes, this was me using a typo for a joke.)

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
Good. Of all the last gen games getting remasters (because effort is for suckers) Dark Souls is probably the first one that genuinely needs an update. Firstly to remove the clunkiness of the game (in comparison to BB and DS3), and secondly because the original version, while well designed, was optimized by a retarded luddite. And the less said about the PC port, the better.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
Not too long ago I was sitting there thinking about how I'd love to play Dark Souls on the PS4, being finally able to take nice screenshots and stuff and boom! I guess it goes to show how little I'm interested in new games these days when I get way more excited for remakes and remasters.

That being said I can't wait to hear stories about people's Switch pads and Joycons ending up through windows and out of trains when they get ganked by Biggie and Smalls, or Capa ***** and his Doggo Squad!

And on the PS4, I wonder if the trophies for acquiring all spells and weapons are going to include the DLC, because man oh man I still have yet to cut Kalameet's tail...

kurokotetsu

Proud Master
Sep 17, 2008
Sean Hollyman said:
Not too long ago I was sitting there thinking about how I'd love to play Dark Souls on the PS4, being finally able to take nice screenshots and stuff and boom! I guess it goes to show how little I'm interested in new games these days when I get way more excited for remakes and remasters.

That being said I can't wait to hear stories about people's Switch pads and Joycons ending up through windows and out of trains when they get ganked by Biggie and Smalls, or Capa ***** and his Doggo Squad!

And on the PS4, I wonder if the trophies for acquiring all spells and weapons are going to include the DLC, because man oh man I still have yet to cut Kalameet's tail...

I never cut it either! Was actually a bit relieved Kalameet?s tail weapon wasn?t required for the Knight?s Honor trophy. It would?ve like *cough* felt wrong anyways you know? Such a majestic, one of a kind creature...it wasn?t enough to kill him we had to humiliate him too?!? Nah, keep your beautiful tail, sweet Kalameet. Keep, keep, keep.

If I didn?t have other stuff to play yet, I could easily see picking this up again. A bit too soon though for me regardless, as it hasn?t even been two years. I?m curious to see Blighttown though in full HD at a good framerate. It?s one of my favorite locations in the series. Such a vast, yet cozy place.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
inu-kun said:
Being in a suit and shoes in the living room doesn't look very comfortable.
wow.

do you take every advertisement you see as literally as you are doing right now?

i bet you think red bull actually gives you wings too...

inu-kun said:
Also I could just use the laptop to do the same.
wtf does a pc laptop have to do with anything?

you were talking about the PS Vita. don't change the subject.

Rip Van Rabbit

~ UNLIMITED RULEBOOK ~
Apr 17, 2012
Can't have a Nintendo-related thread without a persecution complex, unfortunately.

Anyway -- Sweet, more people get to play Dark Souls. Hope the remaster turns out well.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Rip Van Rabbit said:
Can't have a Nintendo-related thread without a persecution complex, unfortunately.

Anyway -- Sweet, more people get to play Dark Souls. Hope the remaster turns out well.
I wish the US was getting the Collectors Edition that Japan is getting. They are making a box set with ALL 3 games and soundtracks, with included all DLC. It looks amazing!

https://www.destructoid.com/japan-is-getting-a-sweet-dark-souls-trilogy-box-set-482060.phtml

kurokotetsu

Proud Master
Sep 17, 2008
Ezekiel said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
Sean Hollyman said:

I never cut it either! Was actually a bit relieved Kalameet?s tail weapon wasn?t required for the Knight?s Honor trophy. It would?ve like *cough* felt wrong anyways you know? Such a majestic, one of a kind creature...it wasn?t enough to kill him we had to humiliate him too?!? Nah, keep your beautiful tail, sweet Kalameet. Keep, keep, keep.
Chumps! I got seven of them in one save file alone.

I only ever did one run through the DLC. I think it was probably the only weapon I didn?t get, as I remember being a bit miffed afterwards. Too much else to play though, as always.