Dark Souls PC, biggest over-rated garbage ever

A Weakgeek

Feb 3, 2011
kingthrall said:
lapan said:
Since your complaint seems to be entirely related to controlls i'd advice getting a controller. If you already own a console you can just connect their controller.

The game was made for controllers/console originally so sadly Keyboard and mouse don't suit it well.
but that is the point, why would you sell a game that is not adapted properly to the keyboard????
Hate to be the guy, but what about flight sims, racing games and the like which require a joystick or a wheel to be played in an any real fashion.

Mirroga

Jun 6, 2009
Wait are we judging a game 100% because of its controls that can actually be fixed by changing the keys or adding controllers? Is this what civilization has become?

If it still bothers you that much, I kind of agree but not entirely. To me, the keyboard has never been a good controller for hack and slash and fighting games or any games with buttons that require intricacy and finesse in doing combos.

47_Ronin

Jul 30, 2012
kingthrall said:
The good things

Atmosphere, Combat, Graphics were decent (which I dont honestly care about).
Well, next time better read a review, because those aspects (+Story) are this game's strongest points. I don't see why you would buy DS if you didn't care for these things, no matter the bad control scheme.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I don't know why you'd want to use WASD anyway. Contrary to popular "PC enthusiast" belief, it is not the best control scheme ever. I loves me some PC gaming (just look at my avatar - that's my PC), but for a lot of games I use a gamepad. 3rd person games where you have an aim/sight are ok with M&K (like Dead Space), but in games where the camera orientation has no relevance to character (or at least, 80% of the time it doesn't) then almost always a gamepad is going to be superior.

Dark Souls is a game that is far better to play with a gamepad.

I will say that they should always try to make the game play at least respectably for M&K, though. I haven't tried it on PC yet, but when I do get it I'll be using a controller.

I think it sucks that FROM didn't bother to tweak the game for the PC, but on the other hand, the only reason they even released it was because of a gamer petition. So basically, they did us a half-assed favour. Can't be too mad about it.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Over-rated?

People have been nitpicking the PC version since its announcement.

Razorin Faust

Jul 7, 2010
Normally, I would siding with OP if it was a normal case.

But Dark Soul is very different on that matter, as previous post and even The Escapist say, this a actually a open hand toward the PC playerbase. They more or less took 6 month to port the game, without any PC experience.

I wanted to have a stab at this game, and they given me the chance. Even if in the end it's a shame the Xbox controller is the only way to enjoy the gameplay.

It's 39.99 ? on steam, for a new release with added DLC, unlike the console version at launch wich was 49 ? (If I recall correctly).

Even if the port is a shody job, they did it quickly, they sell it cheaper, and even better they had the courtesy of telling us this will not be a perfect product WAY before releasing it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
kingthrall said:
but that is the point, why would you sell a game that is not adapted properly to the keyboard????
Bcause PC gamers begged and petitioned for it, even though it was a game already poorly suited to keyboard controls?

Which begs the question: Why did PC gamers beg so much for this game?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Mirroga said:
Wait are we judging a game 100% because of its controls that can actually be fixed by changing the keys or adding controllers? Is this what civilization has become?
Civilisation? No. PC gaming? Yeah, pretty much.

Feb 24, 2011
the reason that the port sucks is because the port was made in japan, the japanese gaming market is mainly console based so the developers there don't have a lot of experience with PCs.

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
Heh, funny thing. Ya see, my controler is in repairs right now and I'm still enjoying DS:pTD. Guess I'm a freak of nature for being able to play with default keyboard setting. Or just not enough "PC master race!".

Seriously, as others have already said: we all knew this port is gonna be shit way before it came out. And for some reason everyone has forgotten how great a port Saint Rows 2 was :D

It's kinda ironic that I didn't even bother signing DS petition and now I'm enjoying the heck out of it and defending it on the net, sometimes even against those who signed.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Jandau said:
lapan said:
A sensitivity option would have been useful indeed.
There is one, but the sensitivity is inconsistent and the mouse control is imprecise for no apparent reason. Hence, the frustration

lapan said:
Did you have any success with eternal key remapping tools like xpadder?
Nope. The biggest problem is that the right analogue stick is messed up (X and Y axises are switched and then reversed).

But all that is besides the point, which is that the port is pretty bad. This is pretty much an objective fact. There are good ports, there are adequate ports and there are bad ports (and then there's Resident Evil 4, but that's another story). I am not saying Dark Souls is a bad game (or that it's a good game), I'm saying that the PC version was ported poorly. Reasons can be clearly listed, from bad controls, inadequate visual prompts all the way to a lack of basic graphical options.

Dark Souls is a bare-bones port with features that are not fully functional.

Personally, I hope they fix at least the controls and add basic visual options, since I'd very much like to see what the game has to offer...
The X/Y thing is because it's games for windows bullshit at it's finest, I tried to use a controller for L4D2 and it did the same thing because I was using a DS3 and not a 360 pad (I don't like the 360 pad, I refuse to buy one just for the PC.)

I used an app called DS3 tool that lets you emulate a 360 controller, google it and you should find it. It did fix my problem, now I can use my controller for anything, though it feels a touch stiff.

OT: Meh, if you have such a big problem with the controls use a controller. It isn't perfectly optimised, no, but then as it's been said short deadline and lack of dev experience. Also port. If you own a PS3 or 360 you may have been better to try it there but either way Dark Souls is a very good game, but maybe a very bad port. I don't know, I barely play PC games, my PC is too weak and feeble at the moment and I don't have the £800~ for a good rig.

-patiently waits to be shouted down-
-also patiently waits for threads about things that are not: sexism, boring, dark souls port-

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Oh hey look more smug jabs at the pee see mastur race. Totally didn't see that coming. This thing isn't even a port, it's a $40 emulator. Yea they have no experience, but if you're a professional asking for twice what the console versions are going for on Amazon, that doesn't cut it. And plugging in a controller would probably be better, but if someone already has a controller, they more than likely already have an Xbox 360 and would have got the game for the Xbox a long time ago. What that says is "Just go buy a $40 controller for your broken $40 game you entitled PC gamer fuckwit"

Verzin

Jan 23, 2012
it's terrible with keyboard an mouse. Almost unplayable. If you buy the PC port get a controller or you will regret your purchase.

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
A little of topic here, but...

What is all this talk about From Software not knowing how to develop for PCs? I don't really understand what this means. Aren't console games built the same way as PC games? They are all written with various C languages, Lua, Python, XML, SQL, etc. The only difference is the constraints of the hardware. I could see there being a problem regarding publication, but the technical side of things..? They are just being given more elbow room when developing for PC. Unless the issue is that they don't understand the 'standards' of PC gaming, but I find that hard to believe.