Dark Souls: Pretty, Hard

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
It looks pretty cool and all, but I can't stand difficulty in games.
I guess I'll have to decline...

Saargston

Feb 17, 2010
Mxrz said:
The checkpoint system has me worried the difficulty has been toned down. Bandai having some questionable involvement doesn't help. DS is my absolute favorite game this gen, but I'm wary. I'll probably skip professional reviews of it for fear of spoilers, and the way you guys tend to overstate difficulty.
Well, the game is open-world. They'd have to use checkpoints. Plus, they limit the amount of health and magic potions you can carry, so you won't be able to rely on grass and spice farming to live.

Subtitled

Aug 17, 2011
Demon's Souls was only as hard as the person playing it was lazy/stupid.

Okay, perhaps that's not an entirely fair generalization, but the radical hyperbole most gaming outlets use to describe it isn't exactly fair either.

In any case, I am looking forward to this.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Demon's Souls was not THAT hard. The difficulty mostly rose from traps, the fact that the best items can be lost forever if you don't have a guide, and that you can only discover an enemy's weakness by trial and error or using a guide. Basically, the majority of deaths came from the game not informing you of jack shit.

Oh, and I hope they don't include more worlds like the tower of latria and the valley of defilement. Not only were those places ugly, they used extremely annoying enemies and traps. Latria had octopus guys who had a paralyze attack that couldn't be blocked and could only be dodged by hiding behind a pillar, and there were holes in the floors where it was too dark to see properly unless you got close, at which point your character would block your view of the hole. The Valley of Defilement had a poison swamp that only you were affected by which severely limited your movement capabilities.

EDIT: Is it just me, or does Dark Souls' combat look like it plays the exact same as Demon's Souls'? That's not encouraging.

AperioContra

Aug 4, 2011
You know, another challenge like Demon's Souls really sounds like it will hit the spot. I played as Mage, for the record (because I'm always a Mage) apparently it was the wrong decision because people said that It would be easier to beat the game wearing clothes made of bacon. But after a while I got so lost, I can't even remember the last time I was so involved with my character. That was a game that hit all the right buttons, minimal cut scenes, actions and gameplay actually taking up more of the perceived narrative, and the dreadful walks through dark corridors as you hear nothing but the shuffling of feet and stone. Not to mention it had amongst the most creative and fun boss fights I've ever encountered. If you can play Demon's Souls and you haven't, do yourself a favor and just push through it. It was hard, but very rewarding. Just one small, insignificant *****:

I Fucking Hated World Tenancy and am glad to hear that it's becoming part of the past. I guess I just have a philosophical issue with any type of moral choice system, plus I didn't think it was right to put in a mechanic that made the game harder the worse you were at it.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Subtitled said:
Demon's Souls was only as hard as the person playing it was lazy/stupid.

Okay, perhaps that's not an entirely fair generalization, but the radical hyperbole most gaming outlets use to describe it isn't exactly fair either.

In any case, I am looking forward to this.
This. My grandma could beat it, with patience. Half of the "difficulty" is trial and error or not grinding enough, and the other half is the lack of check-points and the fact that you lose all your souls. If it had auto-save spots, the game would be unremarkable in terms of difficulty.

Which is why I won't be getting the second one.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Worr Monger said:
The constantly touted difficulty of this game is actually what's keeping me away.... I like a challenge.. but some games can be annoyingly-hard. I especially hate annoyingly-hard games accompanied by a checkpoint save-system.

Otherwise it looks cool.... Guess I may never know.
To be honest, it doesn't fit in annoyingly hard it just really REALLY punishes those who rush in sword swinging. If you approach the game with patience and caution it can be beaten. But it is challenging in a good way.

srawcripts

Jul 30, 2011
'Hurt me more!' Who does like hard and painful? That is why people like the first game and hopefully like the second.