Dark Souls rage/ rant thread

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
There's a great farming method I've come privvy to.

The door that requires that seal Andrei the blacksmith has to open it? There are a group of bandits or something behind there. If you run through that wooded area, thjen run back and walk into the space between the stairs and the cliff, the stupid AI will run up the stairs and fall over the cliff.

All four of them falling off gives you a total of 10k souls. Go to the bonfire right up the stairs (there's a fake wall next to the door, hit it with your weapon) rinse, repeat.

I made over 100k souls in under twenty minutes.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Vault101 said:
Im a noob...how do I get humanity? do I just need to grind for it?
Either find a item that give humanity or farm souls until you get some.

I don't die often enough is my problem.

silenticecream

Nov 3, 2011
MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD

Apologies, I am clueless as masking the spoiler. Any brief guides would be much appreciated ( I am willing to look like a tool). Anyway...the stray demon. Fairly minor spoiler if you don;t know what I'm referring to, but still...apologies for the spoiler

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I've given up on the game until well into next year. When I run out of other stuff to play. I just can't figure it out. Yes, I'm the guy who said he hit level 50 and still doesn't know how to use magic. I attuned it, equip the staff, and when I hit the spell button, my character literally scratches his head. I came across ghosts that floated above water that, no matter what I did, I couldn't damage them but they could trash me. Other players have insanely powerful armor and weapons. Bosses change tactics halfway through the fight and beat me into the ground (my favorite was I literally had to tap a boss and she would have been done, yet she killed me because I couldn't hit her all of a sudden). What finally made me utterly quit though was when I got the Black Cat's Eye. "Use this item to invade the murderer's world." I try to use it, nothing happens. Try to use it while alive, nothing. Try to use it at a fire, nothing. Ask my friend how to use it: "It says how to use it in the description. It's right there!" No. No it's not. I've read it ten times and all it says is, "Use this item to invade the murderer's world." My friend refused to help me because he said it was right there.
So I decided I'm done with this game until I run out of other stuff to play. Then, I'm finding a guide so I can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
YOU THINK THATS BAD

No not really, I'm just stuck in blight town because I suck.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
Sniper Team 4 said:
I've given up on the game until well into next year. When I run out of other stuff to play. I just can't figure it out. Yes, I'm the guy who said he hit level 50 and still doesn't know how to use magic. I attuned it, equip the staff, and when I hit the spell button, my character literally scratches his head. I came across ghosts that floated above water that, no matter what I did, I couldn't damage them but they could trash me. Other players have insanely powerful armor and weapons. Bosses change tactics halfway through the fight and beat me into the ground (my favorite was I literally had to tap a boss and she would have been done, yet she killed me because I couldn't hit her all of a sudden). What finally made me utterly quit though was when I got the Black Cat's Eye. "Use this item to invade the murderer's world." I try to use it, nothing happens. Try to use it while alive, nothing. Try to use it at a fire, nothing. Ask my friend how to use it: "It says how to use it in the description. It's right there!" No. No it's not. I've read it ten times and all it says is, "Use this item to invade the murderer's world." My friend refused to help me because he said it was right there.
So I decided I'm done with this game until I run out of other stuff to play. Then, I'm finding a guide so I can figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Ghosts can't be hit unless you're cursed, or using special blades.

The black eye orb allows you to PvP against the NPC, which means you must have humanity and you must be in the relative area that the NPC is in. Which would be Anor Londo. Just like normal PvP.

To use magic you simply wield the catalyst and press the button. If you're using fire magic you use the fire glove instead.

I can understand your friends response in some ways. I put my name and skype tag on the wiki forums volunteering to answer questions for new players. Next thing I know I have 12+ random people asking me stupid question after stupid question. Most of the answers were literally in the item description.

That said, there are a ton of little things that a curious person would understandably want to know. Of course the game won't tell you.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
I never actually found Blighttown itself too bad. What I found hilarious (and pretty infuriating at the time) was getting out of Blighttown after beating its boss. I had about 15k souls (still a decent amount by that point I suppose) and it was my first time escaping Blighttown using the waterwheel. First time I made it up, died by falling off of a narrow tree branch, second go make it back to where I was, reclaim the souls, and fall off the same tree branch while trying to carefully walk back to the wheel, third time's the charm right? Nope, because I roll too far off the wheel and I plunge to my death. I have to admit that I was actually mad at the game after this, but looking back it was pretty hilarious.

KelsieKatt

May 14, 2008
Sniper Team 4 said:
I've given up on the game until well into next year. When I run out of other stuff to play. I just can't figure it out. Yes, I'm the guy who said he hit level 50 and still doesn't know how to use magic. I attuned it, equip the staff, and when I hit the spell button, my character literally scratches his head.
Are you sure you have enough Intelligence to use the spell?

Also, are you positive it's actually a sorcery spell? There's 3 different schools of magic, Miracles, Pyromancy and Sorcery, every single one requires a different item to cast it, and you have to have enough Faith or Intelligence to do so.

Miracle=Talisman
Sorcery=Catalyst (aka Staff)
Pyromancer=Flame Glove

Blemontea

May 25, 2010
BLIGHTTOWN!!! The Monsters are hard as shit, and the Frame Rate falls down a bottomless pit. The Dredglings have a Cling attack that knocks me down to quarter health, the trip up to reach the second zone is so hard i might as well kill myself. The second half is so long and has no bonfire, and the poison darts are something to admire. Tell me how did you see me with that bag over your head, oh look now you fell down a hole and your dead...

Yay for Rhymes, in short i hat blighttown, I dont even care about souls anymore i just want to get out of their. I already got a kick as shield and a new pyromancer spell, LET ME LEAVE.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Scorched_Cascade said:
I haven't actually raged over this game yet. That said:

I just finished grinding up 400,000 or so souls to take me from level 50 to level 69, I needed the stat points to use the Greatsword of Artorias (it just looks really pretty, okay?)

Wielded it to find out that damage wise it's slightly worse than the sword I was using...but it's a good investment for when I level up more the stats (c/c/b/b params) while the sword I was using had no param bonuses [sub][sub][sub]or so I justify the grinding to myself anyway[/sub][/sub][/sub]

I'm going to use it to introduce myself to a certain necromantic-lord boss. The added holy damage will ensure his minions don't get back up.
I know the feeling. I use Priscilla's Dagger. Yes, it is not a good weapon. But I'm a dex build and it looks so pwetty. And goes great with my armor. The added difficulty is worth it.

Condiments

Jul 8, 2010
silenticecream said:
Spoilers

Apologies, I am clueless as masking the spoiler. Any brief guides would be much appreciated ( I am willing to look like a tool). Anyway...the stray demon. Fairly minor spoiler if you don;t know what I'm referring to, but still...apologies for the spoiler
You can cover spoilers by doing [ spoiler ][ /spoiler ] (except don't have the spaces between the word and brackets.

Anyways, what moves are you having trouble with? The fight has little room for error, but can be easy once you know what moves to watch for.

Sram

Sep 3, 2011
I cut off Priscilla's Tail because of the Dagger solely for Knights Honor achievement and killed her right afterwards. Too bad I had to loot it before killing her, so no Dagger for me. Well, see you again in NG++ :(

silenticecream

Nov 3, 2011
Condiments said:
silenticecream said:
Spoilers

You can cover spoilers by doing [ spoiler ][ /spoiler ] (except don't have the spaces between the word and brackets.

Anyways, what moves are you having trouble with? The fight has little room for error, but can be easy once you know what moves to watch for.
Many thanks. I grew weary of the one hit kills (following the initial fall). Dark souls rewards patience and perseverence, but this does not lessen its inherent tendency to madden (hail mary?)

wolfcrux

Oct 6, 2010
Other players invading is what gets me most furious about this. Just hit SL120 on NG+ and trying explore the world alive tends to get you invaded ALOT. Especially in peak hours.

That'd all be fine and dandy aswell because it's part of the game, but I suck sooooo much at pvp it's a little scary :)

Crises^

Sep 21, 2010
lost 40k souls and 13 humanity in blighttown :( This is what makes em love the game that it actually punishes you for dieing. I'm thinking of doing a no level play through with a rogue character :) some time should be fun.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
On my new playthrough, I'm playing as a pyromancer and spending the majority of my souls into upgrading my equipment and buying new spells, instead of leveling. That means I've been doing a shitload of actual fire damage, but a mediocre amount of melee damage.

sifffffff

Oct 28, 2011
I place my summon sign down and cannot get summoned or I'll get summoned one time in an hour. I just want to throw lightning!

You guys are nuts though. Blightown is easy. The Orges, lure out one at a time, circle around and back-stab them.

The lizard-men telegraph their unblockable grab, backstep it and punish them.

The toxin dart dudes don't respawn, learn where they are and use the spider shield to block their darts as you close in on them.

The only enemy I have trouble with is the fire-dogs. Keep your guard up and don't be aggressive.

The fire spider guys are simple. Just keep hitting them and it'll keep them in stunlock.

You don't have to fight the mosquitos because they move too slow to actually keep up with you.

The Orges in the swamp with boulders are easy to avoid and you probably should because you'll get gangbanged if you try to take them on.

The slugs are only dangerous if you get swarmed. Keep your guard up. Also you can farm them for green titanite and large titanite.

The second bonfire in the swamp is literally right after you enter the swamp. When you get to the bottom of all the ramps and hit the swamp hang a right and follow the right wall. It's in a culvert.

Also before you go to the swamp head back to the undead asylum and get the rusted iron ring. It makes it so you can move normally through the muck.

Finally don't worry about being poisoned by the swamp. Keep an eye on your health and heal when it gets low. If you run out of flasks while poisoned run back to the bonfire and use it. As I've said it isn't far away.

Panzervaughn

Jul 19, 2009
Vault101 said:
You build humanity by killing a number of enemies in a zone where the boss is STILL ALIVE. You cant go farm lowbies for it. Resting doesnt reset your Kill-counter, but dying does.

silenticecream said:
The lag in blighttown is....unexpectedly unpleasent. Is this typical?
Everyone lags in blighttown, Try looking away from the vast parts when you can.

My rage-
I just finished Sen's Fortress for the first time.
Took two steps in, got killed by an arrow trap the first time, creeped my way across the first walkways, got killed by arrow trap in front of chest, Killed trying to outrun boulders several times, killed after discovering bouldertrap likes to reset its goddamn position after i aim it away.

I fucking SMELLED that mimic, "this chest is askew.. i expected a pressure plate here... Ima pop this open and lean hard on my shield butto.. WHAT. OW. NO NO SPIT ME OUT FFF"

And that second bonfire is hidden pretty well. had to Internet that up after getting sick of dying to that jump between towers near the Boulder-hucker, and boulder-hucker himself, onyl to find out it respawns anyway. At least now, im very very good at Sen's Fortress, as ive had to run its entirety flawlessly several times now. =D

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Panzervaughn said:
Vault101 said:
You build humanity by killing a number of enemies in a zone where the boss is STILL ALIVE. You cant go farm lowbies for it. Resting doesnt reset your Kill-counter, but dying does.

silenticecream said:
The lag in blighttown is....unexpectedly unpleasent. Is this typical?
Everyone lags in blighttown, Try looking away from the vast parts when you can.

My rage-
I just finished Sen's Fortress for the first time.
Took two steps in, got killed by an arrow trap the first time, creeped my way across the first walkways, got killed by arrow trap in front of chest, Killed trying to outrun boulders several times, killed after discovering bouldertrap likes to reset its goddamn position after i aim it away.

I fucking SMELLED that mimic, "this chest is askew.. i expected a pressure plate here... Ima pop this open and lean hard on my shield butto.. WHAT. OW. NO NO SPIT ME OUT FFF"

And that second bonfire is hidden pretty well. had to Internet that up after getting sick of dying to that jump between towers near the Boulder-hucker, and boulder-hucker himself, onyl to find out it respawns anyway. At least now, im very very good at Sen's Fortress, as ive had to run its entirety flawlessly several times now. =D
Yeah, after that you tend to poke those each time "just in case" instant death otherwise.