Dark souls Vs. Skyrim

Jesse Willadson

Jan 14, 2012
Which one do you prefer? I know its not entirely fare to compare them, as they aimed to do different things but they do share similar qualities: exploration, telling a story through the environment, and a living breathing world

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
Eh, it really depends on what I'm in the mood to play. If I want npc interaction and structured quests, I go with Skyrim. If I want intense, methodical action in a lonely and dangerous world, I go with Dark Souls. Bethesda and From Software both did excellent work with their own formulae, rough edges notwithstanding.

Popadoo

May 17, 2010
I can't decide, I CAN'T DECIDE. I think it's because they're so different. On paper they sound very similar, but they couldn't be further from each other.

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
Well i wouldnt say dark souls was set in a "living and breathing world". Your character and all others are dead. Exploring SOME version of hell.

EDIT: To answer your question, dark souls. Feels more focused to me. Which i like, too much empty in skyrim.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Skyrim has a much better world if you ask me and better NPC interactions. As well as more varied game play. Dark souls is a game I play if I am bored of everything else I don't think I have finished it yet. Overall I would say Skyrim.

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
TheKasp said:
Do we need this shit again? We had literally the same around the time they released and even though both classify as wRPGs and are so in the same genre I won't compare them.
The OP's just asking for personal preference, not mechanical analysis. Chill.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Dark souls . But only if you like challenging games . They are hard to compare but honestly i had more fun with dark souls . Sure skyrim had more freedom , but sometimes too much freedom is a bad thing . Plus i prefered the atmosphee of dark souls . It was pretty and dark at the same time .

Poerts

Nov 18, 2009
Skyrim. One of The main reasons I play videogames is for exploration, and Skyrim focuses more on that. I still completely adore Dark Souls, though.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Depends on whether you prefer psychotically difficult action JRPGs or hiking sims with RPG elements.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Skyrim when you feel like exploring, Dark Souls when you feel like fighting a boss, GTA when you feel like running over hookers, Mario when you feel like doing shrooms with a hairy Italian plumber...

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Considering that Skyrim is the one that people shouted about how many hours it took away from them and Dark Souls was the one I ended up putting more time into and I'm STILL not done with it, I'm going with Dark Souls. Also the combat feels like its more than just run up to the guy and hack away.

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
Despite having only a few NPCs, Dark Souls feels much more alive than Skyrim. The game feels much more well executed, but that's probably because none of the content is randomly generated. They both have a great amount of choice when it comes to combat, but Dark Souls actually feels fulfilling and fun while Skyrim falls on its face.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Defense said:
The game feels much more well executed, but that's probably because none of the content is randomly generated.
Hey, man, don't judge random content based on Skyrim :D

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Dark Souls. I sunk a lot of time into both, but Dark Souls had the best gameplay of any game I played last year.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Dark Souls. I loved faffing about in Skyrim, but it's just plain soulless in more than one way. The world huge, with lots to do, but nothing I do seems to matter a damn thing.