Dark souls Vs. Skyrim

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
The7Sins said:
QWOP though simple is challenging due to it's different control scheme (a control scheme that only PCs can bring mind you) that forces you to try harder and harder to get the best time possible.
Dude, what? Its four buttons. Left trigger, left bumper, right trigger, right bumper would be enough to play QWOP.

OT: I don't even know. I finished skyrim, but I think it was the bugs that finally killed it for me. Dark Souls was just too damn punishing, I enjoy it more, but damn. You only lose 50,000 souls once before going "fuck this" and quitting.

Edit: If you're sane, anyway.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Skyrim, it's a great game to play when you're watching a movie or in my case anime. Dark Souls is fun, but I prefer DMC when I want a game to kick my ass.

electric_warrior

Oct 5, 2008
Skyrim, but only just. The world just feels more complete, even if the combat isn't as good. Actually, nah, I can't choose. They're both so very very good.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Dark Souls is a game I play when I want to be challenged.

Skyrim (and every other TES to come) is a game I play when I want to walk around an absurdly large world, hacking away mindlessly at monsters.

Two different games for two different kinds of fun.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Joseph Alexander said:
Kahunaburger said:
Depends on whether you prefer psychotically difficult action JRPGs or hiking sims with RPG elements.
the souls games aren't JRPGs, despite being from japan.

A RPG from Japan is a JRPG. It is a regional qualifier, not a genre.

kommando367

Oct 9, 2008
Skyrim

Dark Souls's level design is about the only thing I like about it. It's not even that challenging after the first parts (except for Anor Londo Archers and Bed of Chaos) because there are so many ways to break the game, it's not even funny. That, and the fact that I can't pause the game.

Skyrim is a huge bundle of awesomeness that actually is kind of challenging... on master... sometimes... There are still quite a few ways to break the game, but I don't see everyone praising it's "challenge" like dark souls.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Joseph Alexander said:
Kahunaburger said:
Depends on whether you prefer psychotically difficult action JRPGs or hiking sims with RPG elements.
I am pretty sure it's a genre. Or that is what most people say in witch case I guess you could say not for me witch is Ok I guess, but your definition is going to be diffident than most people.

If you take it as a regional qualifier then ok, but most people seam to think of it as a genre.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Eddie the head said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Joseph Alexander said:
Kahunaburger said:
I am pretty sure it's a genre. Or that is what most people say in witch case I guess you could say not for me witch is Ok I guess, but your definition is going to be diffident than most people.

If you take it as a regional qualifier then ok, but most people seam to think of it as a genre.
I fail to see how a role playing game from Japan isn't a Japanese role playing game.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
They just seem such VERY different games to me but they are both equally awesome. Something that Skyrim has over DS is the fact that its easier (I play on Master) to pick up and play and feel like you have gotten somewhere in the time you have played it. DS makes you work a lot harder for the gratification. I can't imagine someone with a full time job enjoying Dark Souls for example. That said you feel bloody amazing when you kill something in Dark Souls. The combat system is also a whole lot better than Skyrim's.

Like someone else said they are two different kinds of fun.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
I fail to see how a role playing game from Japan isn't a Japanese role playing game.
Because, and I am just guessing, it started out as a regional thing but the games as whole move apart in there game play and story structure. If I say I liked Marrowind what other games are like that? Are you going to recommend me FFXwhatever? Or Skyrim? I mean I guess you could keep saying it's a regional thing but keep in mind that a lot of Idaho potatoes are grown in Washington, Oregon, Colorado, and Maine. What I am trying to say is it grew out of being a regional thing some time ago.

Kilo24

Aug 20, 2008
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Eddie the head said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Joseph Alexander said:
Kahunaburger said:

The same way that Call of Duty isn't a shoot'em'up despite shooting up many enemies, that Bejeweled isn't a turn-based strategy game despite having both turns and (some) strategy, and that every game in the world isn't a role-playing game despite you having a role to play.

When it boils down to it, calling something a JRPG's a comment on genre and mechanics, not origin. It's usually accurate enough to also assume origin, but here it's misleading.

On-topic, I'd nominate Dark Souls myself. The mechanics and places are very carefully designed, unlike Skyrim's. Combat is worthwhile, equipment is much more meaningful, and the game doesn't become a joke past a certain amount of playing.

There's far, far more content in Skyrim, but none of it matches the quality of Dark Souls's. Dragons may be an exception, but they become overused extremely quickly.

That being said, the heavy moddability of Skyrim is a huge benefit. What people have done with Morrowind and Oblivion has been rather impressive, and Skyrim looks to be no different. It still is incredibly unlikely to fix the core issues of the game to the point of Dark Souls's quality, though: that would require more attention than most modders are willing/able to commit and better access to the basic engine than modders can get.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
They are both fantastic games. Skyrim is so broad and open, it really gives you so many options. It may be a game with fighting and dragons, but it only needs to be a game ABOUT fighting and dragons if you want it to be. Dark Souls, on the other hand, is a very focused experience, and it is less about what you do and more about how you do it (you still need to kill the *Boss X*, but how you go about it is a fairly open affair.

I think they are just polar opposites of each other in a lot of ways. Skyrim is about what you want to do, but offers a less focused experience, whereas Dark Souls is about how you want to do it, and offers a very satisfying and extensive experience in that regard. So one isn't really 'better' than the other, because they both do very well in their own field, it is more about what you are in the mood for. If you want engaging combat, and a fairly linear story, then Dark Souls is better, if you want to make your own story within the game world, or you want to create a character that isn't forced to comply with a restrictive game progression, then Skyrim is better (also, dragons).

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
1nfinite_Cros5 said:
There's all sorts of weird things in Skyrim...like when Giants hit you, you fly into space.
That was actually a bug that Bethesda intentionally left in because it was funny. Several of Skyrim's bugs were purposefully left in due to the humor they caused.

In fact in the Fall of the space core DLC made by valve if you let a giant hit the space core it flys back into space.

WaReloaded

Jan 20, 2011
I'm a fan of both games, I enjoy Skyrim because of how open-ended the game is, the lore, the environment and how genuinely interesting some of the NPC side-quests are. Whereas I enjoy Dark Souls because of how challenging the game is, how rewarding it feels to get past certain areas, how the combat requires patience and strategy and the whole, dark and Gothic feel of the world.

DesertMummy

Jan 6, 2011
Dark Souls because quality over quantity. Skyrim does have a lot, and I mean a LOT of stuff to do, however, it lacks that on key aspect of gaming, and that's fun. I mainly play games for the story, and neither of these games have much of a story, however, I liked Dark Souls tons better than Skyrim, which when I played, felt like a chore.