Darksiders 2 Preview

Scarlet Mongoose

Mar 26, 2011
I've always thought that Darksiders reminded me of Legend of Zelda + Legacy of Kain.

And think of this:
War = Platinum haired warrior whose sword fed on the blood of fallen enemies. Wears Red, Gold, and Black armor.
He's Kain.

Death = Black/purple haired, pale skin warrior. Reaper of souls. Wears tattered garments.
He's Raziel.

And I don't see this as a bad thing, either. It makes me happy as hell.

Scarlet Mongoose

Mar 26, 2011
EvilPicnic said -
"I never played the first Darksiders, but did a little research just now (i.e. Wikipedia) cos this trailer looked cool, and apparently there is no Famine in Darksiders; he's been replaced by a new horseman called 'Strife'. Which is a bit crap."

The Horsemen of the Apocalypse =
The only one who is ever actually named in the texts is "Death".
The others, "War", "Famine" and "Pestilence" are titled based on attributes, whether proper or improper.

"War" makes sense, to an extent because of the rough translation "Its rider was given power to take peace from the earth and to make men slay each other".

"Pestilence" is an incorrect modern title. In the texts, the most common translation titles the Horseman as "Conquest".
Due to the sentence "and there before me was a white horse! Its rider held a bow, and he was given a crown, and he rode out as a conqueror bent on conquest."
Which is different to some extent depending on the translation. But Conquest remains.
So, I'd have rather seen "Conquest" as opposed to "Fury"

"Famine" should be titled something like "Balance" due to his carrying of weighing scales.
But this is in reference to a lack of supplies, like oil, not just food.
So, hardship, or "Strife" makes sense.

Hope that helped.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
SilverHammerMan said:
Just gotta say, "Death Lives" is a pretty good sub-title/tagline. I wish I'd thought of it.
And that trailer did manage to suck me in.
Personally I prefer "Death will be our savior" from the reveal trailer but that was probably too spoilery about the
survival of the Third Kingdom

EvilPicnic

Sep 9, 2009
Scarlet Mongoose said:
"Famine" should be titled something like "Balance" due to his carrying of weighing scales.
Actually, (although it could depend on translation - I'm using KJV) the passage specifically mentions oil and wine as being not affected by the scarcity, which adds further to it being a 'famine' of food, as far as I can tell (I am not a theologian).

But I couldn't give a flying fuck - biblical accuracy doesn't bother me, I would just prefer it to stick closer to the Durer woodcuts (which introduced Pestilence instead of Conquest) that more than anything have cemented the Four Horsemen as cultural icons.

Scarlet Mongoose

Mar 26, 2011
EvilPicnic said:
Scarlet Mongoose said:
Actually, (although it could depend on translation - I'm using KJV) the passage specifically mentions oil and wine as being not affected by the scarcity, which adds further to it being a 'famine' of food, as far as I can tell (I am not a theologian).

But I couldn't give a flying fuck - biblical accuracy doesn't bother me, I would just prefer it to stick closer to the Durer woodcuts (which introduced Pestilence instead of Conquest) that more than anything have cemented the Four Horsemen as cultural icons.
1) If you "couldn't give a flying fuck", then don't reply.

2) The price of wheat and barley are raised due to the scarcity, but Oil and wine are still unobtainable.
The preservation of oil and wine could symbolize the preservation of the Christian faithful, who used oil and wine in their sacraments.
I'm fine with the Horseman being referred to as "Famine". I merely intended to point out that balance also works as a descriptor, and "Strife" even more so.

4) The only name I take issue with is Conquest/Pestilence. Pestilence is NOT the proper name.

5) The most common translation of the first Horseman is "Conquest"

You can check that, if you wish, in the texts of "An Introduction to Reading the Apocalypse"
http://books.google.com/books?id=6QwXC6o8jIoC&pg=PA90#v=onepage&q&f=false

6) the King James Version of the bible is widely regarded as the absolute worst translation ever put to paper. It's full of pretty words, but a very poor translation.

7) The famous woodcut is from 1498. The Book of Revelation was believed to have been written around 95 AD. I'll go with the earlier source material.