Darksiders Not Dead, Nordic "Committed" to Continue Series - Update

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Darksiders Not Dead, Nordic "Committed" to Continue Series - Update

Comic book artist and Darksiders franchise creative director Joe Madureira has posted on Facebook that the franchise is not dead, and he's hopefully news can be shared soon.

Update: In a statement sent to RPS, [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/05/13/darksiders-3/] Nordic Games issued the following response:

With regards to Darksiders 3: of course we've always been busy in the background, talking to a lot of former team members about a continuation of the series, but we are not ready to announce anything officially. Joe Madureira is spot on in saying that DS is not dead and we are committed, though.

Before we can say something about the 'how' and 'when' of publishing/financing the sequel is concerned, we are still busy in properly figuring out the 'who' part of this large-scale project. All I can say is that we can and will not settle for second-best solutions in the case of Darksiders.

Yep, it seems Darksiders 3 will be happening at some point in the future -- it's just we don't know who'll be developing it or when it will be out. But at least fans can rest easy and know the franchise will be back.

Original Story:

Last time we heard about Vigil Games' action-adventure RPG franchise Darksiders, it was Posting on his official Facebook page answering fan questions, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123462-Nordic-Games-Snags-Lions-Share-of-THQ-Properties] comic book artist and former Darksiders creative director Joe Madureira claims DS is not dead, and that's he's hopeful he can share news about it soon.

Darksiders-- DS is not dead!!! The new owner, Nordic seems very committed to continuing the series. As far as my involvement, I can't say at this point. Hopefully we will all have exciting news about the franchise soon!!!!!!

It seems franchise fans might be able to continue the Darksiders story after all. Of course, this is with the assumption that Nordic will continue where the last game -- Darksiders II -- left off, and not start from scratch to reboot the franchise. For those curious, The Escapist's review of Darksiders II calls it "a great game with a wealth of content, combing elements of numerous other games (and well) from within an interesting world ready to explore." [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/9863-Darksiders-II-Review.2]

Do you want to see more Darksiders games? What improvements does the franchise need in order to hang with the other RPG giants? I'm hoping that if and when the franchise returns, we'll finally get to experience that Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse co-op that Vigil Games originally envisioned.

Source: NeoGAF [https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=849860498360707&id=157043750975722&notif_t=notify_me]

opiwankenobi

Oct 10, 2008
Glad to hear that, I really liked the first two Darksiders games and would love to see more of the universe.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
Yes, this is good news. I never quite understood why the Darksider games never did that well, as I enjoyed them a lot.
I do think that Darksiders 1 was better than 2, though. Not because of the combat or mechanics, but because of the apocalyptic setting. Dungeons that combined both the elements of fantasy and modern times, set in libraries, garages, and town squares. It really felt as if the world had been conquered by demons.
In darksiders 2, however, while the environments were more varied and colorful, they weren't as relatable. There are only so many dark fantasy castles I can explore before they all feel the same.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I thought the first one was, okay, not bad but not worth the full 60USD.

But, the second game is another story.
I ADORED it.
Totally worth the pre-order.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Tanis said:
I thought the first one was, okay, not bad but not worth the full 60USD.

But, the second game is another story.
I ADORED it.
Totally worth the pre-order.
Yes. It's one of the best games that I've ever played. Holy shit that game is awesome. I actually installed it again last night and I was thinking about the franchise and whether it has a future or not. I'm so glad that we might be getting another one.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
I picked up both games not too long ago on Steam and completely loved them. The second one was a marked improvement over the first and I hope they can reach new heights with the third instalment. It doesn't need coop for me, not yet anyway, but I can see it being a cool addition in the fourth game.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
One particular jimmy somewhat unrustled. I loved both games. The ending of the first got me so stoked for the sequel, which in turn delivered on every level (except changing two of the Horsemen from Pestilence and Hunger to Strife and no idea what).

Will be following the developement with great interest.

Lenny Magic

Hypochondriacal Calligrapher
Jan 23, 2009
I don't really take that answer to mean anything besides Joe Mad being hopeful for some Darksiders news soon, and open to the possibility of working with Nordic.

Of course I don't doubt Nordic are trying to do something with it, but being only a publisher (and quite a small one at that) it all depends on which studio they hire to develop it. As much as I hope that studio would be Crytek USA (Where a lot of Vigil people went when nobody bought it), I wouldn't count on it being someone outside Europe.

layne

Jun 14, 2013
Such good news! Fingers crossed that we'll get another chance to play in the Darksiders universe.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
good to hear

this seires is much more worthy of keeping around >.> unlike some OTHER games of late starting a washed up basket ball player/actor/rapper

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
I don't know, when they decided to change up the Four Horsemen to remove Famine and Pestilence, they removed two potential characters with what could have been possibly very fun and/or interesting gameplay mechanics. Otherwise probably best that the Darksiders the beat-'em-up formula too closely if it wants to stay interesting.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
If they don't pull up shit like that other company did with Nosgoth Online,
I'd love to have 2 games with Conquest and Famine.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Sounds pretty good to me because it's not like we have any other modern Zelda games, and these guys do aim to improve new installations so things should only get better.

That being said who knows what kind of team they will get now that everyone has moved around.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Great news! I just got Darksiders II.

Though... we need a better acronym for the series. I have way too many "DS" games already - Darksiders, Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Dark Sector, Deathspank, Dead Space, etc.

Aug 19, 2010
I liked Darksiders alot, but how about they get around to making the sequel actually playable for PC before jumping on a third installment?
Seriously, the optimization for that is so whacked that messing up so severely should've taken effort for anyone else...

After screwing with it for 4 hours and getting it to a playable state, the framerate chugged so bad it hurt my eyes. Seriously, jumping from 20 to 60 and back again every second or so ain't fun.

Times like these I wish I had a console...

Lenny Magic

Hypochondriacal Calligrapher
Jan 23, 2009
mechalynx said:
I loved both games. The ending of the first got me so stoked for the sequel, which in turn delivered on every level (except changing two of the Horsemen from Pestilence and Famine to Strife and Fury).
Originally Strife (Mercy Pistol), Fury (Abyssal Chain) and Death (Scythe) were meant to make appearances throughout the first game to give War one their weapons. Though for whatever reason they were cut.
Dr.Awkward said:
I don't know, when they decided to change up the Four Horsemen to remove Famine and Pestilence, they removed two potential characters with what could have been possibly very fun and/or interesting gameplay mechanics.
I would guess the biggest reason for the changes would be that there isn't a lot you can do with Famine's or Pestilence's weapons and powers of choice in a hack and slash game. Admittedly a Bow would have been interesting (though probably harder to incorporate into a Hack-Slash combat system) and although I'm sure it could have been used mechanically for something I'm not sure how you are supposed to use weighing scales as a weapon.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Great! I loved both Dark Siders, though I never got the DLC for 2 because I heard it would kill the game due to a bug that was never patched... or maybe it was patched. Either way I can't wait for the next game. Even if it's just one more installment to end the story, I hate the fact the story is still dangling over a cliff.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
You know what I would like to see? A developer that finished one game and story before thinking about the next. If you're not positive you're gonna have the funds to make another game....DONT MAKE A CLIFFHANGER! Its EXTREMELY rude towards your buyers and fans.

I'd also like to see stories getting actually finished, instead of eternal sequelmania. Its actually possible to make a sequel that BUILDS on the original story and universe, instead of continuing from a cheap ass cliffhanger. Think PRODUCT instead of franchise. If you make a smashing product you will have gained both the potential possibility to make a sequel in an established universe, AND the goodwill of your customers who know you can actually finish what you start.

The AC universe is probably the best example of how NOT to do it. A more longwinded sequelitis cannot possibly exist. The perfect example of how to actually do it is probably the GTA universe. Great characters, decent stories, that END. And a new game with new stuff. Fucking cliffhangers...I'd like to find the idiot that came up with that concept and...well, throw him off a cliff.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
as a Madureira and Darksiders fan, this is some of the best news to come out this year :D
I'm eager as hell for another installment :)

I hope the new one centers around Fury so somebody can finally teach Konami how to make a proper Castlevania game