Darkspore Gone Forever Due to Abandoned DRM - UPDATED

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
blackrave said:
So how long until C&C4 follows same route?
[yes, I'm out of my happy denial pills]

P.S. That is why I have images of all games I bought on Steam, I don't use or share them further, but they are there just in case ;)
EA does make you go through alot of those pills. On the bright side atleast C+C4 was bad to begin with...
As for steam, anyone with any brains keeps a backup of their games just incase.

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
So, if I want something that won't get stolen from me in the event of the people who made it suddenly deciding they just can't be arsed, my best option is piracy.

tetris42

Jul 1, 2013
It is a good thing Piracy exists for without it we would have lost a game to the ravages of time. It's beautiful really that when corporate greed eventually implodes on itself it is those painted as villains and crooks that are the ones actually preserving and chronicling the mediums history.

Grim Fandango is all I have to say, without piracy this game would have been lost in the Lucas Vaults.
Even if EA doesn't throw in a patch to fix this before long, I'll bet anything that someone bypassed this DRM within the first month at the most after this game was released and uploaded it long ago. I also bet that the few that have actually bought this and those that are still buying this will probably start using whatever crack that is.
It's really funny how the only way that you can play a game that had always online DRM to avoid piracy is through a pirated version, lovely lovely irony.
So, if I want something that won't get stolen from me in the event of the people who made it suddenly deciding they just can't be arsed, my best option is piracy.
I registered to post here, because these comments were driving me crazy. I can only assume the people posting this stuff have not actually tried to get the game working. Here is the reality:

THERE IS NO WORKING CRACK FOR DARKSPORE

This game is DEAD. If the EA servers are down, YOU CAN NOT PLAY THIS GAME.

Everybody stop claiming piracy is a crutch to fix this problem. It hasn't saved Darkspore, going on 2 years after the fact. Maybe one will be developed in the future. Unlikely, but who knows.

To head off the knee-jerk reaction crowd, here's some proof I've done my homework:

This link? [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EoP0zFRHnA]

FAKE. It's some scamming technique to get people to register on some site to get the password. I've done some more research on this, but I'm not sure how much I should post to risk being banned for promoting piracy on the Escapist (as insane as that sounds given the context).

I just felt compelled to put a stop to the misinformation. Unless a working crack gets made for this game, it is 100% dead and a total casualty of DRM. I'm pissed too, because I was curious about this game, but looks like I waited too long to give it a try. I think it's totally asinine there should even BE a window of time to play games single player.

EDIT: I misread and didn't realize EA decided to allow the game to keep functioning, so for now, the game is not dead yet. Everything else I stated is true however, as soon as they turn the servers off, this game is dead.

Above

Oct 3, 2009
Diablo1099 said:
CriticalMiss said:
Maybe not being able to play it is part of the experience? And I'm not entirely suprised that EA have a hand in this and are even still selling it.
That last part HAS to be illegal.
Selling a game that is literally unplayable? and the makers even stating so?
I'm just waiting for the one guy who will try and Sue EA (With good reason too.) for not being able to play the game,but it still being sold,then for EA To have their army of Lawyers with the ability to warp reality and somehow win the case, if this happens,i will destroy everything involved with EA and record it.

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
This is exactly what would have happened to the XBOX One if we didn't complain.

It is a good thing I don't really bother with most EA games and don't find them appealing or I'd be in for a world of hurt all the time. Sadly, there is that occassional game from EA like Alice: Madness Returns and Mirror's Edge. Not too much, though, since EA chased jocks and gunbros so much.

Hey EA. Remember the day when the game you bought was the game you owned? That was fun as heck.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Irridium said:
Well at least they'll be able to get together to file a class-action lawsuit!

Oh, wait, that's right. EA made everyone give up that right with their EULA.
XD

Though that's another place where gaming culture's anti-consumerism shows: disdain for class-action lawsuits.

CyberMachinist said:
About that I only said the Alamo bit because I was thinking about the phrase "Remember the Alamo" To be honest I don't know much about the Alamo except it had something to do with a last stand by Mexican soldiers.... or was that American soldiers? I think i got a bastardized version of it or something.

And you just described the irony i was saying, back towards me, that something likely forgettable like this game would end up being remembered, albeit as an example for bad practices.
But that's my point: I don't think people are going to remember this Alamo.

And that's not really irony except in the " rayiayaaaaaaaaain on your wedding day" sense.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I thought they weren't going to do the always online bullshit anymore. Right? Can't they patch it out at all?

I'll be generous this one time and wait for them to do the right thing. Don't blow it EA.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
So, they suddenly changed their minds and fixed it? Seems bitching on the internet does get shit done...

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
what is this game and how come in ever heard of it?
and no, its not bugs, its features. it is a feature from EA that makes you stop wasting your time playing it. how do you not understand - now you can pay money to EA and still dont have to play the game. everyone wins right? they dont even have to make some arbitrary excuses for you not playing like either.

zidine100 said:
Oh look "Error 3" what a great error message.

a great way to cover up the fact that we pulled the servers without telling anyone.

Unless you give us a reason, not just a random number, then thats what im going to assume.
numbers are fine. as long as there is a list to decode them. what is worse is how printers work. it broke down. the message i got was "printer error". well duh it does not work, tell me why. but no, it never did. and there are plenty of those in games. best are when the games own error module cant figure it out. i saw a couple "crash unknown" messages. at least nubmers allow us to look things up. like we all know what error 404 is.

rodneyy said:
i may be wrong but i think he was taking the piss dude.
if he was taking the piss he should have been doing that in the toilet and not on the internet.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
MrHide-Patten said:
And thus ladies and gentlemen; I give you Exhibit A on why the Xbone would've been shit..ier.

what do you mean would have been? they'll just flip an extra restriction on every time you complete a game and 'train' you to use the console better

because obviously the customers are dumbasses, bar none.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
Phrozenflame500 said:
Cognimancer said:
Darkspore Now Requires a Third-Party Crack To Play
Fixed it for you. Remember folks: cracking is 100% legal as long as you own a legal copy and didn't pirate it like a bad boy.
Actually its *more* illegal than piracy in the US, thanks to the fucked up nature of the DMCA.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Can't say I feel bad.
I have no idea that there were people foolish enough to buy a game with such an online requirement...then again people bought Sim City 5 in droves.

Do people honestly don't get it?

DoveAlexa

Oct 28, 2009
I bought this game way back when, and its pretty boring. It had a cool concept, but you get buried under a deluge of useless items you pick up and have no learning curve to allow you to gauge what you need and don't. On top of that, it was a boring process going through levels over and over and over again, to just level and to level all your other characters they shovel onto you -- 'procedural generation' notwithstanding. Just not very good, totally boring.

Worst of all, I had to buy it TWICE since me and my husband wanted to play with just having to use the same account. THEN my account didn't work and I had to spend a day in EA customer service to get it running. Terrible horrible DRM penalty for having dared to PAY FOR the game.

I didn't even touch the game again after the first 2 weeks because I didn't want to have to deal with the DRM, and never reinstalled it in all these years.

And to the dicksauce above me, so SUE me and burn me as a witch for giving a game a chance. I didn't even know about the DRM till it was being installed. The game wasn't exactly a huge deal enough for me to know. FFS...

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Interesting. Curious as to whether they reversed the decision because of the press it was getting. Either way, Darkspore can STILL be used as an example for why always online DRM is an issue.

Ympulse

Feb 15, 2011
wombat_of_war said:
could be EA taking advantage of the error situation to test the waters for how consumers would actually react to phasing out a game, by using one thats not a huge seller
My money's on this. Veiled mistakes are experiments to test the waters, as the top-ring of execs are old guard and don't understand transparency and why it's good for a gaming company.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
The Lugz said:
MrHide-Patten said:
And thus ladies and gentlemen; I give you Exhibit A on why the Xbone would've been shit..ier.

what do you mean would have been? they'll just flip an extra restriction on every time you complete a game and 'train' you to use the console better

because obviously the customers are dumbasses, bar none.
That's why I added "...ier" at the end.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
Kumagawa Misogi said:
REMEMBER DARKSPORE!
Remember Darkspore? That's the absolute last thing I want to do.

I played the demo for Darkspore and the only fun I had was coming up with humorous combinations of insults to explain just how bowel-shatteringly awful it was. The only saving grace was that it had a demo. Alarmingly, even though a demo was present people bought the game, this is obviously a serious fault in human behavior.

I'm glad it's dead and DRM is the hero of this story.