Darkspore Gone Forever Due to Abandoned DRM - UPDATED

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Typical EA action, and yet they keep using their DRM, they'll never learn and the fact that they are still selling it is just a blatant scam.

Now excuse me, I go back to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC, at least that one doesn't make use of DRM.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
There should be a promise of an off-line patch. That every game that now has an off line component but runs partly online parts will come with an off-line patch when the product is put to sleep.

Spartan448

Apr 2, 2011
So Darkspore essentially dies, and Steam drops the game, but Origin keeps it up. AFTER Steam drops the game, EA suddenly pledges to fix the game again. Anyone else think it seems like EA is just trying to get their games off Steam in a way that won't anger gamers?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Skops said:
they're still selling on Origin for $19.99. You would think they wouldn't still sell a game that no longer works...
My local Wal*Mart has been selling Tabula Rasa since it's release, long after the game bombed and died. I occasionally walk by and see the collectors editions languishing on the shelves. (Waterford Connecticut if anyone wants to gawk, still probably there).

In short, nothing surprises me when it comes to video game sales.

-

As far as the issue itself goes, I was not impressed with "Darkspore" it wasn't what I expected and had far too limited content. As awesome as the "Spore" idea was, it seems they were never able to implement it or it's technology well, even in this spin off.

When it comes to servers and always-on DRM, this does show the problem with the current trend. It's going to become an even bigger issue in the future when games people actually like wind up going down, especially those that are at their core a single player experience and something someone might want to boot up in 15-20 years (basically this Generations equivalent to "Planescape Torment" and other classics....)

EA relented apparently, but I suspect it was done due to complaints/concerns and fear over legal action. Truthfully I've been waiting to see how things play out over the next decade or so. Right now the idea of a EULA is becoming increasingly debatable, since you don't generally agree to it before paying money. With digital services you typically agree to the terms of that service, but the documentation for the game isn't even available when you buy it even if it's referenced (which can be an issue in Contract law, one of the reasons people use Notaries for contracts is to act as a witness that everything was above board and all referenced documents were present and understood). For the most part computer game companies have been trying via EULAs and such to require legal disputes be handled in California which is very friendly to them and has tons of precedents to this kind of thing. Something which has come under fire from other states in particular, in Connecticut Blumenthal has had some serious problems with E-businesses for example during his time. If enough complaints happen I think it's inevitable companies like EA are going to get forced into the more general legal shark tank and be ripped to shreds, I could be wrong but I'm guessing that even if it was fairly unpopular they aren't ready to try and pull that trigger yet even for the limited audience of something like "Darkspore". The cost of the servers being less than the cost to fight legally if enough people were to complain.

That said I've been of the opinion for a while that with games costing tens or hundreds of millions of dollars anyway that we should have laws in place requiring that any game that requires online support or a server, for DRM or otherwise, should be required to be backed by a trust fund set up to keep the game operating in perpetuity. A trust fund more or less being a giant pile of money that only lets someone draw on part of the interest and continues to grow. Oftentimes set up by rich folks to provide for their stupid children so they will always have money. In this case a trust large enough to support the continued function of the servers and needed updates and fixes for the game
(ie enough money for servers and keeping a couple of people on staff). If this was ever to be adopted it would be interesting, and it would of course raise the question as to whether game companies think they could sell their
product for higher prices to cover this aspect of development, or if they would abandon things like always-online DRM.... it also creates some interesting visions of hundreds of scattered micro-trusts paying people to watch over and maintain games that nobody plays far into the future. :)

David Dabney

Aug 31, 2013
Okay - while perusing the 'official' Darkspore site, I noted the download link for the game. And downloaded it. FOR FREE. People - is it POSSIBLE that EA actually has left the servers up so people who DID put out their cash can play? And as for all of those whining on about the DRM aspect; dude - did you buy a copy of GW2 or WoW or another 'online only' MMO... EVER?

Hey, it costs money to run servers, have staff to keep your little world functional, et. al. As such, if the game is worth it (I'm still downloading as I type), perhaps EA will assign it a F2P server status (like a LOT of games I've checked out over the years) and offer a in-game 'store' to make cash purchases of some powerful item - thus paying for their servers and such and allowing people to at least check out the game...

As a fan of SPORE I'm DEFINITELY interested in seeing what this horse will do, online connection notwithstanding. If I don't like it - I'll simply uninstall it, and my world doesn't change for the worse. Some of you on this forum seem to have some sort of entitlement complex based off your purchasing ability - so, what you folks seem to say is; 'If I can't do it when I want and how I want, I should get my money back"?

THEN WHY DID YOU PAY THE $20 FOR A GAME THAT YOU WANT TO PLAY BUT YOU DON'T WANNA PAY FOR YOUR INTERNETS?

Damn, man - install it on a laptop and go to McDonald's. Use THEIR WiFi for your DRM game. Sheesh.
It's not EA's responsibility to make sure you have a 'always on' connection at home. That is up to YOU. If ya don't have it, DON'T BUY THE DAMN GAME.

How hard is that to understand?

Quadraxis

Jun 26, 2015
While Darkspore was by far not the best game out there, it was also by far not the worst. I think that if they had kept at it and added new content, Darkspore could be an amazing game. there was no reason to completely shut it down. Now those of us who love and miss the game have to suffer. It's a shame. Darkspore was a great game, and had a great bit of potential. And while i don't know everything there is to know about the game and it's problems, i do say that i regret ever seeing this game for the simple fact that because i did, i grew to love it, and now i can't play one of the few games i truly miss.

EDIT- forgive me if i make myself look stupid. i didn't read all the way through the forum and after posing I read a few more and they said darkspore was for sale or something. if this was ever, and still is, true, could someone please tell me where and how i could play Darkspore again? My disk won't properly install the game for some reason, so i need an internet link of some sort. Thanks in advance, guys.