Darth Sephiroth? Star Wars Villains Redesigned By Square Enix

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Darth Sephiroth? Star Wars Villains Redesigned By Square Enix

Darth Vader, Boba Fett, and the Star Wars Stormtrooper will get Final Fantasy treatments from Square Enix's toy brand.

Ever wondered what <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137426-Artist-Redesigns-Xena-Warrior-Princess-in-Disney-Princess-Style>fictional characters would look like <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137664-Disney-Princessess-Fan-Art-Presents-Warcraft-Mashup>if someone else designed them? In the case of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/star%20wars?os=star+wars>Star Wars we won't need to wonder too hard because Square Enix is putting its versions up for sale. This summer, the Final Fantasy publisher's "Play Arts" brand will release action figures of iconic Star Wars villains. While each toy is recognizable, Play Arts used the opportunity to present Stormtroopers, Boba Fett, and Darth Vader himself with a Japanese sensibility - and they look pretty slick.

Outside of the visual changes, each figure comes with interchangeable hands, different weapons, and effect pieces so owners can test out a variety of poses. Boba Fett, for example, comes with a pistol, heavy blaster, and knives - not to mention dynamic-looking flamethrower and jet pack effects. Darth Vader has two lightsabers - one in-motion and the other still - and a Force blast fireball hand to fear the Dark Side with.

The Stormtrooper, while still familiar, has gone through the biggest changes. Square Enix's version is a little stockier and imposing than the Lucasfilm edition, presumably to make a Rebel think twice before taking a shot at one.

[gallery=3980]

Each figure is priced at 12,000 yen, which roughly amounts to $100 US dollars. Darth Vader will arrive this May, with Boba Fett and the Stormtrooper following in July. Personally, I now find myself wishing Square Enix could make a JRPG with these characters - but these will do just fine for now.

Source: Gamespot

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Unlike the Batman design we saw a while back, those at least look good because they might be detailed, but still keep their simplistic original idea. Now if they could go and design a Final Fantasy with THIS philosophy in mind, I might even consider buying it (probably still won't due a various list of reasons, but at least I would consider it. That's something, right?)
Still, not going to buy one of these figures.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Vader and Fett actually look pretty cool. The Trooper...not so much. It's a little too big and badass for a cannon fodder soldier, not to mention the helmet just makes me giggle. He looks like an Angry Marine

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Darth Sephiroth? More like Boba Sephiroth!

While the Batman redesign was outlandish, Boba and the Stormtrooper redesign look great but remain pratical and not over the top. Good think the Stormtrooper never look like that as it make their ineffective even more embrassing.

EDIT- Ok if you're going to mention Darth Vader but he's not the first image you see on the page, then MAKE it as seen on the first page!

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Personally, I now find myself wishing Square Enix could make a JRPG with these characters - but these will do just fine for now.
Considering Kingdom Hearts, it might actually be possible eventually.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Not really redesigns, those are greebled up [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greeble] originals.

dragonflame22

Dec 8, 2013
Picture #26:

Err...

Lord Vader, sir...

You're hand...

I don't know if you noticed...

Seems to be on fire. Just a little bit. Nothing wrong with that, sir, please don't strangle me, I'll shut up now.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
I can't get over the fact that they gave Vader's suit abs, it just looks so silly. Still not as silly as Bat Nipples though, but silly none the less. Other than that I do have to admit he looks pretty awesome.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
I was all ready to roll my eyes at this... but I actually like them.

The problem with the Batman concept from a while back is that it was so ludicrously over designed it was hard to tell who it was supposed to be any-more. They've been a bit more sensible here (though I'm now sure about some of Vader's proportions)...

In fact, I'd go as far as to say that if the stormtroopers in The Force Awakens turn up looking something like that, I'd be legitimately pleased.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Not really into them. All three look rather interchangeable. And I think Squeenix tends to abuse pauldrons.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
Meh, they're ok. Extraneous details added everywhere (why does Vader need abs? or hoses on the outside of his helmet?), but that's Square's style. Personally, I prefer simplistic utilitarian looks.

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
A lot fewer belts and zippers than I was expecting. Also image 11 looks like the stormtrooper is firing a hotdog.