Darth Sephiroth? Star Wars Villains Redesigned By Square Enix

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
You know these are great figures when one of the most common complaints is "but that one looks too awesome!"

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I'm not happy with these, not because I think the original designs were perfect (even though they were), but because this just seems so...unnecessary. I feel like square has other things it should be focusing on rather than endlessly redesigning popular characters from the west. Put that poor character designer to work doing characters for some of the myriad of franchises square has been neglecting: then they can measure fan interest by the buzz they create. Or let the dude design some of his own stuff and make *gasp* a new IP.

For a company that's been struggling so much over the last few years I really question their game plan here. At least the batman ones were tangentially related to gaming.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
erttheking said:
Vader and Fett actually look pretty cool. The Trooper...not so much. It's a little too big and badass for a cannon fodder soldier, not to mention the helmet just makes me giggle. He looks like an Angry Marine
That's adaptation decay at work for you. Stormtroopers are, as the name suggests, supposed to be the ELITE of the Empire's infantry, the most feared fighting force in the galaxy. Years of being gunned down by movie heroes and player characters in games while not managing to hit the broad side of a barn have turned them into cannon fodder, although the real original sin was probably letting the Ewoks kick their asses. There's no coming back from getting beaten up by a bunch of teddy bears with pointed sticks.

You want to know what Stormtroopers are SUPPOSED to be like, go watch the opening scene of A New Hope again. The rebels get ROUTED by the attacking Stormtroopers, even though they're set up in defensive positions and the Stormtroopers are having to force their way though a narrow hole blown in a door. It's a curb-stomp battle- Vader just strolls in afterwards and looks around at a job well done, with surprisingly few Imperial casualties.

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
Arcane Azmadi said:
erttheking said:
Vader and Fett actually look pretty cool. The Trooper...not so much. It's a little too big and badass for a cannon fodder soldier, not to mention the helmet just makes me giggle. He looks like an Angry Marine
That's adaptation decay at work for you. Stormtroopers are, as the name suggests, supposed to be the ELITE of the Empire's infantry, the most feared fighting force in the galaxy. Years of being gunned down by movie heroes and player characters in games while not managing to hit the broad side of a barn have turned them into cannon fodder, although the real original sin was probably letting the Ewoks kick their asses. There's no coming back from getting beaten up by a bunch of teddy bears with pointed sticks.

You want to know what Stormtroopers are SUPPOSED to be like, go watch the opening scene of A New Hope again. The rebels get ROUTED by the attacking Stormtroopers, even though they're set up in defensive positions and the Stormtroopers are having to force their way though a narrow hole blown in a door. It's a curb-stomp battle- Vader just strolls in afterwards and looks around at a job well done, with surprisingly few Imperial casualties.
And the armor is very similar to this train of thought

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c325/R_Deckard/Macross_SDF-1/Kerberos/DSCF3962.jpg

Plus Hoth was the second curbstomp battle that few mention.

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
I've never really liked Boba Fett, but this particular redesign is a slight improvement in my eyes. Vader is...not so great. Like, at all.

I actually really like the stormtrooper one though. I could maybe take these guys seriously. It looks like white metal, not cheap plastic.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
I guess I'm alone on this one but I really like all 3 of them
Boba Feet looks like a more badass version of Vile from Mega Man X
Dark Vaider looks like a slim badass space black knight
and the Trooper looks like that dude from Vanquish

safe to say I didn't watch any of the Star Wars movies until I saw the first 3 episodes, I thought it was neat and watched the other (older) three and the overall story was neat, although Dark Vaider was and emo in the prequels and a lap dog in the sequels, so I dunno why they made him look so badass here. I want SE to redesign Chewbaka and the giant slug that had all the slaves

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
you see squeenix, you can do intricate designs that are semi-practical and maintain a good silhouette! Now do this for other stuff, like your own games.

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
rosac said:
you see squeenix, you can do intricate designs that are semi-practical and maintain a good silhouette! Now do this for other stuff, like your own games.
As well as their manga have mature storytelling.