David Cage and Quantic Dream Return to E3 with Detroit: Become Human

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Wrex Brogan said:
...why is it always Detroit that's doing the whole 'cyborg' thing?
Because Detroit, in the minds of certain studios, equates to "Apocalyptic wasteland, the city", just waiting to be rescued by new, amazing tech.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Add another one for the tickets to "Super Best Friends play 'Detroit'".

I'm still gonna play this game though, I don't hate Quantic Dream *that* much. Oh, they're bad, I know, but I can turn off my brain enough to enjoy what they are, or at least what they were *going for*.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
But how many polygons will there be in this new game? I MUST KNOW!!! o.o

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
kenu12345 said:
CyanCat47 said:
I think people give david cage more shit than he deserves. He says a bunch of stupid stuff and his design philosophy is ultimately flawed in my opinion but i respect that he is
1) Honest if pretentius

2)Passionate if mad

His games aren't good by any stretch of the word but i can't help but feel that it's strange how much hate he attracts while all the big companies often get off relatively easy by comparison. He is just a madman in his own little bubble that doesn't really affect the bigger picture of gaming in any meaningful way
I feel this sentiment. Not sure why either. Either way, I am excited for the possiblities for this game. I like Telltale games and I liked Heavy Rain. I think David just needs a concept to work with and paranormal ghost powers wasn't it
And a more focused plot. Beyond went from paranormal thriller, to modern warfare/espionage, to native american mysticism and ended up feeling unfocused and completely ridiculous. It was also way less extensive than heavy rain. one of the things i admired the most about HR was that the story continued even if main characters died, and the idead of each character getting their own ending was pretty cool too

InflatableHippo

Feb 13, 2016
Country
usa
GrumbleGrump said:
Fuck
Yes

I cannot wait for the Super Best Friends Play Detroit: Become Human. It's gonna blow so good!
But who would play it tho?

Race traitor Wollie would kill all humans.
Pat would kill all the robutts.
Matt would be passive aggressive about every cutscene.
and Liam would be dead.

InflatableHippo

Feb 13, 2016
Country
usa
EHKOS said:
I can't wait for this, not to play it, but to watch the Zaibatsu tear it apart. To hear Pat's giggling laughter when something retarded happens, for Matt to exclaim "WHAT?!" at all the ridiculousness, for Woolie to fuck up and create the best moment of the playthrough by speaking without thinking. Not so much the apologetics from Liam, but 3 outta 4 ain't bad. And normally I like that kid.
"Hands up don't shoot."

Man once Woolie realized the context of what he said and covered his mouth wanting to die right there. It was the best.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
CyanCat47 said:
kenu12345 said:
CyanCat47 said:
I think people give david cage more shit than he deserves. He says a bunch of stupid stuff and his design philosophy is ultimately flawed in my opinion but i respect that he is
1) Honest if pretentius

2)Passionate if mad

His games aren't good by any stretch of the word but i can't help but feel that it's strange how much hate he attracts while all the big companies often get off relatively easy by comparison. He is just a madman in his own little bubble that doesn't really affect the bigger picture of gaming in any meaningful way
I feel this sentiment. Not sure why either. Either way, I am excited for the possiblities for this game. I like Telltale games and I liked Heavy Rain. I think David just needs a concept to work with and paranormal ghost powers wasn't it
And a more focused plot. Beyond went from paranormal thriller, to modern warfare/espionage, to native american mysticism and ended up feeling unfocused and completely ridiculous. It was also way less extensive than heavy rain. one of the things i admired the most about HR was that the story continued even if main characters died, and the idead of each character getting their own ending was pretty cool too
Same and honestly, this premise doesn't seem over the top and has alot of potential to be more focused. High hopes here man. Kinda reminding me of Heavy Rain from what they shown so far only with a bit of sci fi elements

GrumbleGrump

Oct 14, 2014
InflatableHippo said:
GrumbleGrump said:
Fuck
Yes

I cannot wait for the Super Best Friends Play Detroit: Become Human. It's gonna blow so good!
But who would play it tho?

Race traitor Wollie would kill all humans.
Pat would kill all the robutts.
Matt would be passive aggressive about every cutscene.
and Liam would be dead.
I think it would be more along the lines "everyone's depressed and dissapointed".

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
So they solved the problem of protagonist moving like a robot by making it an actual robot? I kid, this actually sounds cool. Now if Cage could make an actual game out of it instead of a QTE movie....

ALso obligatory - this game will have a lot of polygons for all the emoshuns.

Adam Jensen said:
Small studios like Telltale and Dontnod make better games (and episodic ones at that) than anything this man has ever made.
You say episodic as if that is a positive. Why?

Extra-Ordinary said:
I'm still gonna play this game though, I don't hate Quantic Dream *that* much. Oh, they're bad, I know, but I can turn off my brain enough to enjoy what they are, or at least what they were *going for*.
Quantic Dream games are like crack. They are bad, you know they are bad, but you just cant stop playing them.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Whenever I see games like this, I'm always like - I'd watch this if it was a movie. Or read this if it were a book.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Strazdas said:
You say episodic as if that is a positive. Why?
I didn't mean for it to sound like that. Almost the exact opposite, actually. Companies that make episodic games do a far better job than David Cage. That is what I meant.

CellShaded

Aug 8, 2009
The last of David Cage's games I played was Indigo Prophecy, which was fun in its own way. My partner and I often play story heavy games together and enjoy them as if they were a movie, which is what Quantic Dream's games seem to be made for.

They're not that great gameplay wise (QTE's just aren't that enjoyable), but the experience (atleast for Indigo Prophecy) was fun. I, as an avid Asimov fan, look forward to Detroit: Become Human (even if it'll be fluff/bad in comparison to other works on the same subject), and will probably get it once I buy a PS4.

Sinister Minister

May 20, 2009
UberPubert said:
GrumbleGrump said:
Fuck
Yes

Hell yeah! Get hype!
Please get excite.

Man, at this point I just feel kind of bad for Quantic Dream at this point, people are more excited for the LP that tears into it more than the game itself.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Jim Sterling's taint has not left this website it seems.

Can we please stop the whole mocking of this guy for the whole (Polygons = Emotions) thing?

And I geniunenly enjoyed Heavy Rain. And at least that game had mulitple endings and paths.

Maphysto

Dec 11, 2010
Metalix Knightmare said:
I just hope Cage doesn't go full Tatsuya Ishida with this subject.
I'd be more worried that Cage goes full Cage with it.

Samtemdo8 said:
Jim Sterling's taint has not left this website it seems.

Can we please stop the whole mocking of this guy for the whole (Polygons = Emotions) thing?

And I genuinely enjoyed Heavy Rain. And at least that game had mulitple endings and paths.
Okay. We can stop mocking him for the emotions thing. There's plenty of other stuff to mock him for.

Like the fact that he has the writing ability of a sixth grader, yet acts like his plots are Oscar material.

Or the fact that his stories start out with a decent (if often cliched) premise, only to devolve into absolute nonsense by the second act.

Oh, or the fact that he's always banging on about choices and consequences in his games, yet they're always completely linear, and will even go so far as to remove fail states because how dare the "player" have any input on his genius vision?.

Or the fact that his writing style could basically be summarized as "David Cage browses his movie collection and picks a few to be derivative of".

OH, or his general creepiness and obsession with giving his female characters long, completely unnecessary shower scenes, or segments where they walk around in their underwear, or almost get raped. Doesn't matter if this adds absolutely nothing to the plot, it'll be in every single Cage game.

Long story short, Cage is a pretentious, egomaniacal little skidmark that needs to be laughed out of the industry. Every time one of his abortions comes out I wonder how he still has a career.

FillerDmon

Jun 6, 2014
If it weren't for the fact that it BLATANTLY LIED TO YOU part of the way through, Heavy Rain would have been okay...ish. Stuff left out that would have made more stuff make sense (in universe), and in general stuff that should and could have been written better, but probbaly the best of Quantic Dream's work. I'd be willing to be nicer to it if the game didn't just OUTRIGHT -LIE- to the player. Like, worse than Frozen does.

Indigo Prophecy/Farenheight starts off crazy, then wobbles for about 60% of the game before just diving head-first into crazy town. Easily the worst, if because of all of the random shit pulled together in unsatisfying ways, to say nothing of gameplay niggles and "And that's my story. [...] Now I'll never find the truth about what happened."

And the excuse used in Beyond(Two Souls) doesn't really make up for the feeling of how janky and horribly put together the tone of the story is. There -is- a reason for it. And the reason itself makes sense. It just doesn't do enough to have fixed the problem. Somewhere in the middle between "Most Shit" and "Shit".

So I wonder where David Kage's newest project is going to lie in terms of worth. Is it going to be horribly unfocused and shite, or have another chance at being halfway decent, like Heavy Rain almost did? The general consensus seems to be that Episodic Narrative-Focused Games are okay, so there -is- room to make a game in which it's the Story that's doing all the heavy lifting and the gameplay can suck (even if personally I say that you make point-and-click computer programs for that sort of thing and stay the hell off of dedicated gaming platforms for it, in part because it's closer to a movie than anything else and it's kind of insulting to sell it as a "game" when it doesn't want to be, and in part because it keeps stupid input errors from getting Futuristic Secret Agents dropped into the Car Cruncher by Race Traitors).

And I'm willing to at least see what happens. Don't focus on "Big Names", "100% Realistic Body Capture", "Polygons", or anything else first, though. All those should be right fucking next if you don't have solid gameplay beyond QTEs, but for the love of Aiden, David Kage, make your Story be good first! If you're selling an "interactive experience" with the Story being used as the back-bone, make the Story strong and able to support everything else!

If nothing else, I agree with the others so far: The Zaibatsu are going to have a fucking field-day with this.

FillerDmon

Jun 6, 2014
Wings012 said:
Whenever I see games like this, I'm always like - I'd watch this if it was a movie. Or read this if it were a book.
Dude, you make me miss those "Choose your Own Adventure" Books.

Samtemdo8 said:
If you choose to put more emphasis on your visuals than in you writing or your gameplay, on the grounds that doing so makes the experience better, while using a medium in which it -should- be the gameplay backing things up, and in which it -is- the writing you're using to get around not having much gameplay, then you entirely deserve mockery for that ideal.

I missed the Jim Sterling reference, mind, but I certainly don't see the problem personally.

Maphysto said:
Okay. We can stop mocking him for the emotions thing. There's plenty of other stuff to mock him for.

Like the fact that he has the writing ability of a sixth grader, yet acts like his plots are Oscar material.

Or the fact that his stories start out with a decent (if often cliched) premise, only to devolve into absolute nonsense by the second act.

Oh, or the fact that he's always banging on about choices and consequences in his games, yet they're always completely linear, and will even go so far as to remove fail states because how dare the "player" have any input on his genius vision?.

Or the fact that his writing style could basically be summarized as "David Cage browses his movie collection and picks a few to be derivative of".

OH, or his general creepiness and obsession with giving his female characters long, completely unnecessary shower scenes, or segments where they walk around in their underwear, or almost get raped. Doesn't matter if this adds absolutely nothing to the plot, it'll be in every single Cage game.
... I wonder if it's possible to do David Cage Bingo based on the stuff he's shown so far. I'm super curious about making your own Bingo Cards and playing "David Kage Bingo" once this comes out.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
GrumbleGrump said:
Fuck
Yes

Goddamn I'm excited. David Cage is my favorite video game comedian.

*Grabs popcorn*