David Cage and Quantic Dream Return to E3 with Detroit: Become Human

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
FillerDmon said:
... I wonder if it's possible to do David Cage Bingo based on the stuff he's shown so far. I'm super curious about making your own Bingo Cards and playing "David Kage Bingo" once this comes out.
Just don't turn it into a drinking game

The Jovian

Dec 21, 2012
Fox12 said:
FillerDmon said:
... I wonder if it's possible to do David Cage Bingo based on the stuff he's shown so far. I'm super curious about making your own Bingo Cards and playing "David Kage Bingo" once this comes out.

Can I get a higher rez version of the picture? It's too blurry for me to read what its saying.

And speaking of bingo, you might want to add awkward-ass title to the bingo card. Because I can't be the only one that's notices jsut how clunky Quantic Dream's game titles have become, and if you don't see it, here's me breaking it down:

1. Fahrenheit: A single word, relates to a theme of the game (low temperatures).
2. Heavy rain: A noun (rain) and a describing adjective (heavy). Relates to the narrative of the game.
3. Beyond: Two Souls: One word relates to the story (the afterlife), the other two to the characters (Jodie and Aiden). Problems arise when they're completely unrelated to each other from a grammatical standpoint. Makes it sound like the game is about more than two souls.
4. Detroit: Become Human: The first word is the game's setting and the other two relate to its theme/story. Once again, grammatical in-cohesion results in the game title making it sound like the game is about Detroit becoming human, rather than something becoming human in Detroit.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
FillerDmon said:
Wings012 said:
Whenever I see games like this, I'm always like - I'd watch this if it was a movie. Or read this if it were a book.
Dude, you make me miss those "Choose your Own Adventure" Books.

Samtemdo8 said:
Can we please stop the whole mocking of this guy for the whole (Polygons = Emotions) thing?
If you choose to put more emphasis on your visuals than in you writing or your gameplay, on the grounds that doing so makes the experience better, while using a medium in which it -should- be the gameplay backing things up, and in which it -is- the writing you're using to get around not having much gameplay, then you entirely deserve mockery for that ideal.

I missed the Jim Sterling reference, mind, but I certainly don't see the problem personally.

Maphysto said:
Okay. We can stop mocking him for the emotions thing. There's plenty of other stuff to mock him for.

Like the fact that he has the writing ability of a sixth grader, yet acts like his plots are Oscar material.

Or the fact that his stories start out with a decent (if often cliched) premise, only to devolve into absolute nonsense by the second act.

Oh, or the fact that he's always banging on about choices and consequences in his games, yet they're always completely linear, and will even go so far as to remove fail states because how dare the "player" have any input on his genius vision?.

Or the fact that his writing style could basically be summarized as "David Cage browses his movie collection and picks a few to be derivative of".

OH, or his general creepiness and obsession with giving his female characters long, completely unnecessary shower scenes, or segments where they walk around in their underwear, or almost get raped. Doesn't matter if this adds absolutely nothing to the plot, it'll be in every single Cage game.
How cruel of you to mock a man's passions and ideals than.

And it was Jim Sterling that started the whole thing with the Mockery.

UberPubert

Jun 18, 2012
Sinister Minister said:
Man, at this point I just feel kind of bad for Quantic Dream at this point, people are more excited for the LP that tears into it more than the game itself.
Don't worry, the Zaibatsu is paying Quantic Dream in exposure dollars.

Sinister Minister

May 20, 2009
UberPubert said:
Sinister Minister said:
Man, at this point I just feel kind of bad for Quantic Dream at this point, people are more excited for the LP that tears into it more than the game itself.
Don't worry, the Zaibatsu is paying Quantic Dream in exposure dollars.
Yeah, that would ultimately be the effect, huh. Still, it's worth it.

FillerDmon

Jun 6, 2014
Fox12 said:

A lot of those seem like they overlap in a way that just one scene (such as the semi obligatory female-lead-shower-scene) gets like 1/5th the board. We should make it more challenging than that!

The Jovian said:
And speaking of bingo, you might want to add awkward-ass title to the bingo card. Because I can't be the only one that's notices jsut how clunky Quantic Dream's game titles have become.
I think that probably fits as the Free Space, with a title like Detroit: Become Human. QTES being garbage could be split into multiple, but I don't think that's a given. There's -always- a chance that the gameplay could be improved just a bit to make more sense / be more clear. And QTES in and of themselves aren't always a bad thing.

Samtemdo8 said:
FillerDmon said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Can we please stop the whole mocking of this guy for the whole (Polygons = Emotions) thing?
If you choose to put more emphasis on your visuals than in you writing or your gameplay, on the grounds that doing so makes the experience better, while using a medium in which it -should- be the gameplay backing things up, and in which it -is- the writing you're using to get around not having much gameplay, then you entirely deserve mockery for that ideal.

I missed the Jim Sterling reference, mind, but I certainly don't see the problem personally.
How cruel of you to mock a man's passions and ideals than.

And it was Jim Sterling that started the whole thing with the Mockery.
I never really got in on Jim Sterling, so I wouldn't know about that. I only started mocking his products when "Game Overs are a Failure of the Game Designer" Cage seems to have forgotten how Game-Over infested Indigo Prophecy was, and how Games, for the most part, feature Game Overs because players find, for the most part, reward out of overcoming adversity, and without said adversity to overcome, that reward is diminished. Not all the time, of course, but for the most part Game Overs being a failure of the Player are fine, and to pretend otherwise, including making it -seem- as if you could fail but you actually can't and it just looks like it, without properly communicating it to the player, seems rather pretentious, especially, as mentioned, in light of the first game made being freaking filled with them.

And I think I'm entirely entitled to mock the ideals of someone when they're hypocritical, counter-intuitive when being used to helm a product within an industry in which they, for the most part, clash heavily, and expects people to be suckered into visuals rather than good story telling (or, as a video game, good gameplay).

You know what? I'd written a different counter-argument for your response, but I just went and found a few quotes from David Cage, almost entirely as was quoted by the article.

"The moment a person holds a video game controller in their hands, all potential for that game to become meaningful is instantly lost."
"[...]games focus on simple themes and target teenagers who crave violence. That is essentially the definition of a video game. I can not name a single game that does not do that. The closest I can think of is Sonic the Hedgehog and its pro-environmental theme, but that's not deep enough for most people. Outside of that, all I see on the shelves are violence simulators that have no redeeming qualities like Spec Ops: The Line and The Last of Us."
"Nintendo is slowly fading out of existence because of their refusal to adapt to what people actually want from their video games. Has anyone ever cried when Mario rescued the princess? Can you feel empathy towards a Goomba? The fact that Nintendo can not make a game on par with Schindler's List is proof that they are incompetent."
"I don't want to blame people for not wanting to play my video games, but they definitely are stupid for not demanding that developers make more games that are like mine. I don't want to dumb down my video games just to get more sales, I want to make them smarter. Smart people should not be avoiding my games, but for some reason, they do. I just don't understand. Is there something about the video game medium that lowers our intelligence?"

If you can stand by every thing he's said here, then you and I just think on entirely different wavelengths. That's not even meant as an insult; like a Toaster and an Electric Toothbrush, we're just wired differently, and we will -never- see eye to eye. But as far as I'm concerned, he's a pretentious hack and deserves at least 80% of the hate he gets for it. I'd -like- to see him do better, because the industry improves with more people making good things written well, but his own arrogance and inability to deliver on a proper narrative undercuts a lot of the intent behind his actions. And with others being able to deliver on a better story, his relevance in the market is continuing to shrink.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
All right, whoever keeps giving him money has to stop.
It was funny for a while, but now we've had enough.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
It's hard not to see David Cage as the French Answer to Uwe Boll. Boll makes terrible films based off of video games and Cage makes terrible games but tries to make them films. Neither man seems to understand how either video games or films work and both have massive egos.

Boll does get bonus points for the whole trying to beat people up who talk shit about his films, only to chicken out when someone actually takes him up on it.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Maphysto said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
I just hope Cage doesn't go full Tatsuya Ishida with this subject.
I'd be more worried that Cage goes full Cage with it.

Samtemdo8 said:
Jim Sterling's taint has not left this website it seems.

And I genuinely enjoyed Heavy Rain. And at least that game had mulitple endings and paths.
Okay. We can stop mocking him for the emotions thing. There's plenty of other stuff to mock him for.

Like the fact that he has the writing ability of a sixth grader, yet acts like his plots are Oscar material.

Or the fact that his stories start out with a decent (if often cliched) premise, only to devolve into absolute nonsense by the second act.

Oh, or the fact that he's always banging on about choices and consequences in his games, yet they're always completely linear, and will even go so far as to remove fail states because how dare the "player" have any input on his genius vision?.

Or the fact that his writing style could basically be summarized as "David Cage browses his movie collection and picks a few to be derivative of".

OH, or his general creepiness and obsession with giving his female characters long, completely unnecessary shower scenes, or segments where they walk around in their underwear, or almost get raped. Doesn't matter if this adds absolutely nothing to the plot, it'll be in every single Cage game.

Long story short, Cage is a pretentious, egomaniacal little skidmark that needs to be laughed out of the industry. Every time one of his abortions comes out I wonder how he still has a career.
So what, he can't take inspiration of things he likes in movies?

I mean name one game that has a original story that does not include saving the world or a climactic final battle or taken inspiration of something from a movie and tv series. I mean for example Deus Ex is just Blade Runner and Matrix having a baby. At the very least I just think David Cage pulls it off decently enough. Shadowrun is just having D&D in a cyberpunk setting.

And Heavy Rain had choices and concequences I mean for goodness' sake I can have an ending where the main villain won and all the other main characters die and have the villain get off scot free. I mean I just see Heavy Rain as in interactive Adventure movie game without the Point and Click part.

At the very least David Cage has not done anything bad from a techincal and consumer rights standpoint like how Gearbox did with Aliens Colonial Marines or Ubisoft making AC Unity a broken and unplayable mess at launch.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Maphysto said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
I just hope Cage doesn't go full Tatsuya Ishida with this subject.
I'd be more worried that Cage goes full Cage with it.
Meh. At least when Cage goes full throttle there's at least a nice bit of trainwreck to gawk at.

If he goes full Tatsuya though, we're gonna get a game constantly trying to shame us for considering sexbots to be objects and treating them as such.

Dalisclock said:
It's hard not to see David Cage as the French Answer to Uwe Boll. Boll makes terrible films based off of video games and Cage makes terrible games but tries to make them films. Neither man seems to understand how either video games or films work and both have massive egos.

Boll does get bonus points for the whole trying to beat people up who talk shit about his films, only to chicken out when someone actually takes him up on it.
Two things, Boll actually has a few legit good movies to his name. None of them are videogame based though.

Secondly, he actually DID beat up a bunch of his critics in a boxing match, and almost all of them were scrawny nerds. He chickened out when Seanbaby, who actually knows how to fight, took him up on his offer.

Rosiv

Oct 17, 2012
Sinister Minister said:
UberPubert said:
GrumbleGrump said:
Fuck
Yes

I cannot wait for the Super Best Friends Play Detroit: Become Human. It's gonna blow so good!
Hell yeah! Get hype!
Please get excite.

Remember death states are a failure of the game designer......

There needs to be that LP though...

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Fensfield said:
But what about Kara?
I'd be sad if the concept was.. well, nothing relevant.
Kibeth41 said:
Fensfield said:
But what about Kara?
I'd be sad if the concept was.. well, nothing relevant.
The concept of Kara wad an android with emotions. This is a game about androids with emotions.
Kara is one of the playable characters in this game, if anybody wondered where she went, she just wasn't showcased in this particular trailer.

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
"You were supposed to destroy the Sith, not join them!" is all I could think after about 1:23 into that.

OT: This is one of those things where it would be a good idea, but won't be done well so it ends up a bit shit. He's doing that stupid thing where he tries to make his games like films, showing that he hasn't a fucking clue about what makes games a great medium.

If you ask me (I would say at this point that I'm not an expert, but that would be such a massive fucking understatement that it's practically being said in Australia) I reckon that the best way to do this would be a short game. You go into the room, look for clues as to what the best way to deal with this situation is, then you go out and choose your dialogue as you see fit. Also a timer before either the Bobbies run in and start shooting the shite out of people, or until the guy jumps/kills the girl/etc. to add some challenge and some incentive to shift your arse and keep some pace. But what the fuck do I know?

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
GrumbleGrump said:
Extra-Ordinary said:
UberPubert said:
InflatableHippo said:
snippity-doo

Heh. I see I'm not the only fan of the zaibatsu.

Man, I hope they force Woolie to do it. Watching his slow decent into rage-filled madness while playing Heavy Rain was comedy gold.

Samtemdo8 said:
Jim Sterling's taint has not left this website it seems.

And I geniunenly enjoyed Heavy Rain. And at least that game had mulitple endings and paths.
Nope. David Cage made his bed and he has to lay in it.

Besides, when the man adorns the walls of his dev studio with posters, block letters, and signs that just say, "Emotion" and "Hardcore Emotions", and he's quoted as saying things like (and I paraphrase), "I'm not bothered by people not buying my games, but gamers are dumb for not demanding more games like mine", you're damned right I'm gonna mock the guy.

His pretentiousness knows no bounds. As such, neither will my mockery.

;)

Strazdas said:
Quantic Dream games are like crack. They are bad, you know they are bad, but you just cant stop playing them.
Speak for yourself. I feel an uncontrollable urge to put the controller down the moment I see the Quantic Dreams logo on screen. Even when I'm not holding a controller.

It's really spooky. Almost as spooky as the way Cage ogles Ellen Page...

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Vigormortis said:
Strazdas said:
Quantic Dream games are like crack. They are bad, you know they are bad, but you just cant stop playing them.
Speak for yourself. I feel an uncontrollable urge to put the controller down the moment I see the Quantic Dreams logo on screen. Even when I'm not holding a controller.

It's really spooky. Almost as spooky as the way Cage ogles Ellen Page...
I found it creepy how Beyond: Two Souls seemed less like a game and more like an excuse to do terrible things to Ellen Page and make her cry a lot. There's Tragedy and then there's being exploitative(not to mention mean). Cage thinks he's doing tragedy, but instead comes across as exploitative and disturbing.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
It was funny when David Cage released a pretty bad game.

But now I just wish he'd make a good one and put all these mockery to rest.

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
Sinister Minister said:
UberPubert said:
GrumbleGrump said:
Fuck
Yes

I cannot wait for the Super Best Friends Play Detroit: Become Human. It's gonna blow so good!
Hell yeah! Get hype!
Please get excite.

Not to mention how Rage Select will react to this. Oh, the amount of bad jokes that will be made. I will admit I am at least CURIOUS about the concept, it brings a question back to my mind. However,I predict there will be a LOT of Robophobics(Speciesism?) in this game...

briankoontz

May 17, 2010
Wrex Brogan said:
...why is it always Detroit that's doing the whole 'cyborg' thing?
Even as far back as 1987 we knew that Detroit was screwed, hence Robocop being set in Detroit. Deindustrialization and plutocracy destroyed the city. The old vision of machine/metal technology (automobiles, steel) at the *service* of human beings became the dystopian nightmare of a merger of machines and humans, benefiting only the plutocrats mediated through corporations, expressed by supporters as "transhumanism".

Places like Pittsburgh and Detroit are ideal settings for cyborg dystopias, while for Los Angeles (through Blade Runner) the cyborgs are no more distinguishable from a human than an actor is from a "real person".

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Souplex said:
All right, whoever keeps giving him money has to stop.
It was funny for a while, but now we've had enough.
Unlikely to happen
I suspect that David Cage is real world version of Walter White
He makes his money from cooking up meth, but making pretentious interactive movies is his real passion.