David Cameron calls for all teens to do community service.

Cavehybrid

Mar 29, 2011
meh doesn't sound like that bad an idea, could stick in on ur CV as work experience, tbh i think the issue is poverty too, a family that can afford to care for its children raises them right.

templeg

Dec 11, 2010
I was in Bordeaux during the riots, all the lead got pulled off my roof because of an unsafe and unnecessary bit of scaffolding THE COUNCIL have been refusing to take down for months which means anyone can get onto our street's roofs. Basically, David Tory-1000 Cameronbot can go fuck himself.

lucaf

Sep 26, 2009
Rawne1980 said:
Education was only for those that could afford it. Working class folks, forget university, you'll never see it.
wasn't it blair that bought back tuition fees? and wasn't it labour that got rid of most of the grammar schools? the best chance for bright kids from poor backgrounds to get a good education?and besides, raising tuition fees shouldnt put off the poor, since it is paid back at the same rate (9% of income). if it costs 3 grand or 9 grand, you are still paying the same annually. the only difference is the length of time you pay for

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
I actually like the idea itself. I guess I'm old and out of touch with you young'uns, but I think a little bit of community service is good. I had a job of sorts at sixteen - that be 12 year ago young'uns! - where I cleaned up a local beach and camping ground after slobs, inconsiderate fuckheads and Canadian geese (damn those Candadian geese! *shakes fist*) and it reinforced my attitude about how you treat public and private property: with respect.

I guess I think a kid who spent an hour or two cleaning up a park might feel less inclined to make it look like shit again. Or a kid whose job is to help an old man with his shopping once a week might not feel comfortable robbing another old man for his meager purse. Or am I being naive here?

I got paid 20SEK a day for that aforementioned job; the money was to pay for my lunch and that was it. I think they could at least given me 50SEK - 20SEK does not a good lunch buy, even 12 years ago - but other than that I didn't think it was that bad. I LIKED my job. If I overslept I had to cycle over 14km to get to work because my boss would leave without me and I still LIKED it. Still, a little something to reward the kids who do community service would probably not go amiss. Positive reinforcement and whatnot.

I may feel ole Cameron is trying to place the blame on the Youth Of Today, instead of The Government Policies That Sucketh Ass, but the idea itself - young people giving back to the community they live in so they feel more connected to said community - isn't all bad.

Now, there's a storm brewing here so I have to shut the computer off. Blame any incoherency in this post on that... >_>

Schoengeist

Sep 23, 2009
James Joseph Emerald said:
A lot of European countries have mandatory conscription, where once you turn 18 you have to spend a few years in the army to learn discipline and how to survive in the real world. I don't think that's too bad of an idea. A lot of people could do with a bit of discipline, restraint and humility.
"In the real world"? Either you never were in the military or you know nothing but the military.

Davih

May 7, 2011
So everyone who rioted was 16, and every 16 year old rioted?

Can see another riot happening to be honest.

mgirl

Mar 29, 2011
Ahem...

If you actually read past the sensationalist headline, the article actually says that whats happening is VOLUNTARY work of this kind is being expanded, and the only person suggesting it should be made compulsory is actually Boris Johnson.

Basically saying that 'making volunteer work available for teenagers' has been translated by the press into 'NATIONAL SERVICE FOR TEENS'...

Evil the White

Apr 16, 2009
Speaking as a teen, it won't do anything. It'll infuriate the people who want to get on with their lives and go to college, and at the most it'll find the troublemakers at that time. While they're doing some really bad shit.

For example, a local woodland trust had some teens over on work experience. They were fired after two days for messing with other people's food, putting mud in boots, vandalism to the trees and chopping up golf balls (from the golf course on site) with an axe.

Are they the sort of people you WANT doing community service?

DrWilhelm

May 5, 2009
Rawne1980 said:
Just a quick note to all teenagers getting pissed at this.

Take a good long look at your parents and older siblings and various other family members over the age of 18.

Keep looking at them.

Look a bit more.

Remember it's their fucking fault for voting that twat in.

A lot of us remember how shit it was last time we had a tory government. They only help the upper end of the wealth scale. Education was only for those that could afford it. Working class folks, forget university, you'll never see it.

Problem is they won't fucking learn. Yeah Labour fucked up but was there a need to fuck the rest of us over so you could "prove a point".

I don't blame Cameron at all for any of his policies, it's what the tory's have always done. I blame the wank stains that voted him in.
Part of the reason everyone is so angry is because most of us didn't vote for the Tories but the bastards got in anyway. Hell, in one of the most tragic cases of irony in the history of regrettable decisions, a lot of people voted for the Lib Dems specifically because they didn't want a Conservative gorvernment, which worked out splendidly.

On the subject of Camerons latest bout of verbal diarrhea:

I don't see why not. It's not like teens can get jobs or go into higher education anymore, is it? Seriously though, while this might work during a different political climate, at the moment it's just going to piss teens off even more. Frankly, the Tories seem to be using the riots as an excuse to begin another campaign of Class Warfare.

Fewell

Aug 12, 2011
Yeah, get them used to working for nothing early. After that they'll just jump at a shitty job offering fuck-all an hour.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Compulsory service?

Nah, i'm good thanks. Next time they organize a riot, I hope they fuck up his house. What a fucking douchebag. The entire riots it seems like they've been blaming "the youth" where every photo I see is middle aged men looting the crap out of shops.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010

If they try and force me into community service I won't sit down and take it. I will march over to Downing street and camp outside until Cameron explains to me exactly why I should be doing community service when I did nothing wrong. I will not be punished because the rest of the people my age couldn't give a shit about their community. Useless Tory prick. Why are all of our politicians USELESS BLOODY WANKERS. The Tories care only for the upper classes, Labour are fucking useless, and the LibDems are spineless liars. Fuck all three of them.

solidmoose

May 27, 2010
Riots, the government trying to shut down communications, forcing youths into work programs...

Do NONE of the British government see the glaring parallels between every dystopian fiction novel ever?

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
I'm glad I'm not a teenager in this current climate. Although I am working class and currently unemployed (yet refusing to claim benefits), so I guess I'm still scum. OH WELL.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
James Joseph Emerald said:
Quaxar said:
Compulsory community service? As far as I know doing that is against the Human Rights Charta...

In theory, yes I'm for it. Hate me for it if you want, but I very much like the idea of showing all those spoiled private-schooled teenagers other sides of life. Just keeping to the extreme here of course, but I support the general idea.
A lot of European countries have mandatory conscription, where once you turn 18 you have to spend a few years in the army to learn discipline and how to survive in the real world. I don't think that's too bad of an idea. A lot of people could do with a bit of discipline, restraint and humility.
Yup, I know. I live in one of them.
But as far as I know conscription and from that resulting community service to not have to do the military thing is the only exception.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I really don't feel like looking it up in the whole text now.

sniddy_v1legacy

Jul 10, 2010
Rawne1980 said:
Problem is they won't fucking learn. Yeah Labour fucked up but was there a need to fuck the rest of us over so you could "prove a point".

I don't blame Cameron at all for any of his policies, it's what the tory's have always done. I blame the wank stains that voted him in.
See here's my problem

New labor were pretty much Torry lite, and leaning to Torry normal....the big razza-ma-dazzel Blair did shifted them so far in the spectrum to be nearly the same

Lib dems lost any and all respect after shacking up with Mr Cameron and then rolling over and playing dead, they've doomed themselves to the poltical wilderness, at one point they were so low in the polls to be 4th under 'other'

Labor need to reconnect with the roots but seem shit scared to do so

So if I voted tomorrow

Vote Tory - get tory
Vote Lib Dem - piss my vote away along witht the 3 other people who do so
Vote labour - get tory-esk

And I will NOT be voting labor after the betrayal of the low paid,

Seriously the scrapping of the 10% tax band which NEGATIVELY affected everyone earning under 17k was a dick move and the piss poor way the repsonded

And the tax raid on pensions

Really not the smartest moves, and Gordon Clowns 'managment' of our finances, feck give um to me I'll take um down the bookies place a few bets and do better

So as a previous Lib dem voter who will shun them like the lepers they are, unclean, I have.....no options

And while maybe the rioters arn't all as articulate they basically understand one thing, no one gives a shit about the littlle guy anymore so fuck the lot of tehm

Annoying Turd

Jul 3, 2009
Great. I love 'serving the community'. I'm serious!.

I've applied like 4 times and I've been rejected from serving my own bloody community. It's about time Mr. Cameron helped folks like me.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
I'm all for it. Community service would drag kids out of this isolationist, self-obsessed rut they're all in. It'd teach people to get out of this teenage-and-on-top-of-the-world mentality. I'm middle class. I have had every excuse in the world to sit through school and college, and gone home to my computer and with my good education, gotten a decent job, and looked down on everybody else.
I turned 19, I moved to a new city, and I volunteered as a support worker for the homeless. That experience has done me a world of good. Force teenagers to get out of their own self-important lives, and they'll be better people for it.

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
Kwaku Avoke said:
As soon as you get out there with a broom Mr.Cameron. Leading by example and all.
No no no noooooo.....that's an awful idea....Can you imagine how 'holier than though' he'd get? I think the country would explode from all the smug.