David Jaffe Lashes Out at CNN Anchor

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
amaranth_dru said:
Folks please note: This is CNN not FOX news reporting this garbage. A good sign that major media outlets care less about truth in journalism and more about inciting flame wars. In other words, ALL news channels are troll-bait and untrustworthy.
CNN's been pretty much a tabloid for years. The only difference between them and FOX is that FOX pushes a specific party agenda, while CNN pushes a "whatever we think will get us ratings" agenda, which honestly is kindof more pathetic. They've got a few decent journalists and a few decent shows, but their main news hours are a joke.

Gizmo1990 said:
amaranth_dru said:
Folks please note: This is CNN not FOX news reporting this garbage. A good sign that major media outlets care less about truth in journalism and more about inciting flame wars. In other words, ALL news channels are troll-bait and untrustworthy.
I really feel bad for you Americans that you have to live with this kind of journalism. How does anyone in your country get any facts?

Thank god that in England we have the BBC. Hell, televised media journalists are not even allowed to state their political opinions in our country. Plus while we do have biased media it is all confined to newspapers, so we can just ignore all of them.
Thankfully, we have the BBC here too. Or, at least some cable providers have it. Also, I think al-Jazeera might be coming over too, since they recently bought a channel here.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
People have been shooting each other in mass for many, many generations longer than video games have existed. Why are people too stupid to notice this? Are we really going to blame World War II on Call of Duty?

Fappy said:
Best video I could find. Unfortunate quality >.>

EDIT: IIRC he basically called her an idiot after the interview, though you can tell that's what he was thinking in the video
Holy shit. Is this the kind of moron that passes as a journalist in this industry now? It's like the folks in charge of E3 will just put any pair of tits on the screen and don't give a fuck if they know what a video game is much less what 2x2 is. Didn't they have iJustine on as a major event host recently as well? I am so fucking mad.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Just think how much better the world will be when all these old white men keel off.

I salute Mr. Jaffe. May you continue the good fight and win lots of loot from the kills.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
dyre said:
Thankfully, we have the BBC here too. Or, at least some cable providers have it. Also, I think al-Jazeera might be coming over too, since they recently bought a channel here.
And already one of the largest cable providers has announced they're going to drop Current TV, the channel they bought.

amaranth_dru said:
Half-right. It's not about truth, it's about making money. Ratings equal money, and sensationalism equals ratings. This isn't about a flame war so much as riding the game wave. Emotions are high and this is the easy way to use it to their advantage.

Of course, Jaffe being an excitable tool probably makes it even easier.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
CardinalPiggles said:
Of course, these don't cause people to want to murder a whole bunch of innocents, but it can't hurt to have a little restriction on these things.
That's the thing: there are restrictions. As many restrictions as there are on rated R movies--in fact they were developed in pretty much the same way and for the same reasons. Like with films, the video game the rating system was devised by a non-government entity (to regulate themselves before the government stepped in to regulate them), and it's upheld more or less by tacit agreement with sellers. It's as easy for a kid to get a rated M game as it is for them to get a rated R movie.

But of course kids still can easily see rated R movies or play rated M games, they just need access through someone older. Some parents don't see a problem in their kids being exposed to these things, or don't care enough to go out of their way to prevent exposure. So what do you want to do about it? Have fingerprint scanners to play games? Monitor what people do and when to make sure their kids aren't playing the games? If the kid is getting access through someone older, there isn't a lot you can do about it that isn't extremely invasive or bound to be ineffective.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
dyre said:
And already one of the largest cable providers has announced they're going to drop Current TV, the channel they bought.
Ugh, really? Who needs government censorship when media corporations are so willing to do it to themselves?

TotalerKrieger

Nov 12, 2011
So what exactly are these witch-hunting journalists/politicians hoping to accomplish?(aside from drawing attention to themselves..) Violent videogames cannot be legally sold to minors. The issue has already been addressed (regardless of any scientific conclusions) with the ESRB rating system.

Any attempt to censor media intended for adults would be a clear violation of freedom of expression/speech etc. The legal systems of most Western nations would never approve of such censorship. If a parent allows their children to play violent video games in the privacy of their homes, the state has little to no means to intervene. It's all a non-issue IMO, these people should just be ignored as they really are not worth the elevated blood pressure.

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
Eh... While I applaud him for not being afraid to speak his mind, I really don't think this is going to help prove our point. When a news report like this comes out, I too am pretty ticked off; but spazzing out on Twitter doesn't put us in a good light either.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I don't think people like her, who are ignorant on the subject get to have an opinion. She should stick to interviewing and mediating between two people who have done their research and have formed a scientific opinion based on a study on the matter instead of squawking incorrect information, bias bogus facts & ignoring their guests input.

She displayed absolute ignorance on the matter but spoke it like there was some form of basis for her claims. Problem is there isn't, it's been shown over and over games don't directly cause this stuff. No one after playing GTA will go on a rampage. These ignorant statements just bother me because it shows she clearly hasn't done an ounce of research and doesn't care to, she just wants to cluck out BS and get to the next story which is probably more of the same.

I'd hope she interviews Jaffe but, even then she would still have incorrect information and continue to claim it over the interview.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
dyre said:
Ugh, really? Who needs government censorship when media corporations are so willing to do it to themselves?
Yeah, TWC announced they'd be dropping it like seconds after the sale went through. Unfortunately, Time Warner is like a third of the market. It's a fairly big deal.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Here's a video I found that actually talks about the reason why news media keeps coming down hard on gamers: http://youtu.be/5uwAo8lcAC4
For those who don't want to take the time to watch it, here's the gist of it: The news networks are owned by movie and TV corporations, which consider video games to be competition. They are targeting video games in an effort to stigmatize their competition and pressure people into demanding legislature that will cripple the industry.
There are other good points in the video, but that's the main one that we ought to be realizing.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
dyre said:

amaranth_dru said:
Half-right. It's not about truth, it's about making money. Ratings equal money, and sensationalism equals ratings. This isn't about a flame war so much as riding the game wave. Emotions are high and this is the easy way to use it to their advantage.

Of course, Jaffe being an excitable tool probably makes it even easier.
My statement is this: I don't subscribe to TV anchors who seem to have the need to interject their personal "expert" opinion usually way out of context and way out of line for their station.
I don't trust those people in the mainstream media attempt to do the same sensationalist attention grabbing horseshit. Anchors to "on-site" reporters are for the most part guilty. These days it seems to be that we need a tragedy to fire us up.
My biggest issue right now is that people latch on to a tragedy to exploit it to get their agendas pushed through. The video age "debate" on that CNN thing was just ridiculous.
They don't make good journalists. I feel like a lot of these journalists are left wing but I feel as a reporter you are supposedd

13thforswarn

Jul 11, 2009
My blood is boiling... Did anyone get experience points for killing a prostitute in GTA? The only thing I got was a star and 4 police cruisers chasing me...

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Wow did they actually stuff 3 gun ads into their "news" segment, that is just amazing, also not at all indicative of who fills their bank accounts.

Momoe

Oct 4, 2010
Ironically, it's precisely this kind of sensationalist journalism that provokes ever more mass shootings. It gives weight and importance to pathetic people that thought to buy credibility for their problems by shooting people. It turns these callous murderers into victims, anti-heroes even, insidiously targeted by a billion dollar industry. It outlines, in excruciating detail, how tragically easy it is to become instantly the most important thing on an entire country's minds (at least until the next shooting).