David Jaffe Lashes Out at CNN Anchor

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
David Jaffe Lashes Out at CNN Anchor

David Jaffe has had enough, and you can't really blame him.

CNN's Erin Burnett took to the airwaves this week and presented the sensationalist videogames-create-killers argument as fact. Not surprisingly, this isn't sitting well with those involved in the industry. The always outspoken David Jaffe is one of those people, and he took to Twitter today to launch his own war of words [http://www.twitlonger.com/show/kt9csj] against Burnett and her perceived agenda against the hobby.

"Dear ErinBurnett: you, ma'am, are at best an idiot that cnn should be ashamed to have as an anchor," Jaffe begins. "At worst, you are the worst kind of American: one who has allowed the healthy desire for success to morph into a capitalistic cancer that makes it ok to ignore the facts in order to make your product more appealing, regardless of the consequences."

But the man behind games such as Twisted Metal and God of War didn't stop there. "I am sure you will think yourself quick and insightful when you tell me- a video game director/designer accusing someone from another industry of making products for profit regardless of consequence- that I am the pot and you are the black kettle," he continues. "However, if you actually listened to your guests and read the studies (aka if you actually did some....some....hmmm, what's that word you journalists have for it? Oh right: RESEARCH!) you would see you are wrong; you would see there remains- after years of studies- zero evidence of video games with violent subject matter causing real life violence."

Eventually, Jaffe sums up his feelings, adding "Shame on you. But more importantly: shame on your profession. It deserves so much better."

To be fair, Burnett's attempts to get her guest, the respected Dr. William Pollack, to slap some type of blame on videogames as a cause of violence do push the boundaries of good taste. She starts her questioning by stating "It's accepted as fact that these violent games - and by the way, they are horrifically violent - is why we are seeing this seemingly [sic] explosion in mass shootings."

Even when Dr. Pollack insists that, no, games are not a root cause of real-world violence, Burnett pushes on, likening games such as Call of Duty to "training" simulations for killers. It's the same disjointed, out of touch stance gamers have been dealing with for years, and it appears that Jaffe has simply had enough. Personally, I can't really blame him.

Source: TwitLonger [http://www.twitlonger.com/show/kt9csj]

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Mr. Jaffe, I want to make you cookies now. Or brownies. Or a pie. Or cake. Or chicken. Your choice, sir.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
soren7550 said:
Mr. Jaffe, I want to make you cookies now. Or brownies. Or a pie. Or cake. Or chicken. Your choice, sir.
Just send him all the food he wants.
Or more practically we could buy the games to make him happy. ^.^

OT: Much like what soren said I wish to give this man many many cookies.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Folks please note: This is CNN not FOX news reporting this garbage. A good sign that major media outlets care less about truth in journalism and more about inciting flame wars. In other words, ALL news channels are troll-bait and untrustworthy.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
David Jaffe is one person I have complete respect for. He's one of those professionals who strives for excellence at the cost of his personality. I watched those god of war exclusives and know he's very hard to work with, and I salute him for taking pride in a job well done. Those people who can put on their resume they worked on the first God of War from my interpretation have zero regret.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
amaranth_dru said:
Folks please note: This is CNN not FOX news reporting this garbage. A good sign that major media outlets care less about truth in journalism and more about inciting flame wars. In other words, ALL news channels are troll-bait and untrustworthy.
Broadcast news is a blight on journalism.

OT: Another reason to love David Jaffe. This is almost as good as the time he called out Olivia Munn for being an utter moron.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I always say the best way to disprove claims of violent video games causing violence is with a violent outburst.

I mean, yeah, Burnett is a troll among trolls, but we're not going to get people to take our medium very seriously when the industry leaders are having man-child tantrums on Twitter.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Dr. Pollack deserves some major props here. Sure, he's not necessarily a fan of games and didn't know enough about GTA to call her on her BS line about "points" stolen from Jack Tnompson (he also didn't mention the rather important fact that games like GTA and CoD aren't meant for kids anyway), but he still stood by the facts when pressed. And, after all that, to have his comments labelled as provocative? Sheesh...

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I don't blame him, but it's just an unfortunate fact of human existence that any kind of aggressive argument makes people double down rather than listen. I'm sure we all know that just from internet debates. It's so hard to convince someone to change their position on anything that they've held onto firmly

Kiyeri

Mar 8, 2010
This is why I go to BBC for all my news. American media has become so awful, bias upon bias upon lack if research. Jaffe gets my respect for taking a stand, that woman was out of line.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
As the other's have said, this is one of the reason's I like Jaffe, he doesn't seem to particularly give a shit what people think of him, and says what he's going to say regardless of how it'll effect his 'image.'

Well, as much that I know of, being censored tends to make it where normal(ish) people like me don't here about it.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Capitano Segnaposto said:
soren7550 said:
Hell, I will give him a whole grilled lobster!
You do that, since I have no clue how to cook seafood, or much of anything (that, and I find the idea of boiling a lobster alive morally wrong).