David Jaffe Lashes Out at CNN Anchor

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
I always say the best way to disprove claims of violent video games causing violence is with a violent outburst.

I mean, yeah, Burnett is a troll among trolls, but we're not going to get people to take our medium very seriously when the industry leaders are having man-child tantrums on Twitter.
I want to tell you all the ways that what you've said is naive.

But the more I try to write it out the more I realize that it probably wouldn't help. There is this illusion that "being an adult" is going to garner people respect among radicals that wish to dismantle and place blame upon them and their ideals.

This has never been the case, ever, in the history of all time.

What he did was the correct approach and the only thing that ever can be heard over the droning of morons who wish to make top dollar for minimal effort.

Jfluffy

Nov 8, 2010
I couldn't help but laugh when she was talking about Grandtheft Auto with the point thing.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
amaranth_dru said:
Folks please note: This is CNN not FOX news reporting this garbage. A good sign that major media outlets care less about truth in journalism and more about inciting flame wars. In other words, ALL news channels are troll-bait and untrustworthy.
In a twist of irony:
It's like pigs are flying.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Chairman Miaow said:
You win points for killing prostitutes in GTA? I didn't even know there were points in GTA! I must really suck at it :(
That always amused me that they stated it that way. I know not every viewer is going to understand that GTA has more in it than a point system, but if they kept it accurate, they could have made it sound so much worse!

"You win cash prizes for murdering prostitutes, which you can then go spend on more guns and ammo to kill more people for more cash!"

You might even be able to throw rap under that bus with all the obsessions with cash and murder in the game.

secretkeeper12

Jun 14, 2012
[I always say the best way to disprove claims of violent video games causing violence is with a violent outburst.

I mean, yeah, Burnett is a troll among trolls, but we're not going to get people to take our medium very seriously when the industry leaders are having man-child tantrums on Twitter.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. Jaffe isn't taking some kind of heroic stand; his rant is just a hate filled knee-jerk reaction towards Erin, not an intelligent argument as to why she's wrong.

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
This guy is not my idea of a champion for the debate. In "The Newsroom 2.0" parlance "Is this the best form of the argument?" and I don't think so. But I'm glad someone is getting some exposure seizing an opportunity to decry the BS in this tripe they're still peddling.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Blablahb said:
Games are training simulators. That's why they immediatly made me a general when I joined the military and showed them my savegames from Command & Conquer.
Pish. Pish, I say!

A couple of decades of gaming really helped me rescue my kidnapped girlfriend from a machine-gun toting maniac and his army of thugs named after characters from classic kung-fu films. My experiences were likewise invaluable when raising a giant army of bloodthirsty orcs to wipe out the armies of humanity and claim the kingdom of Azeroth as my own. And let's not get started on all of the theme parks that I've built, the cities I've planned, and that period I spent remodelling the UK's entire transport system so that every available resource would be shipped to the absolute furthest-away recipient possible (because "Transport Tycoon" taught me that the longer you transport something, the more you get paid. It just makes sense.)

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Signa said:
amaranth_dru said:
Folks please note: This is CNN not FOX news reporting this garbage. A good sign that major media outlets care less about truth in journalism and more about inciting flame wars. In other words, ALL news channels are troll-bait and untrustworthy.
In a twist of irony:
I uh.. what?

I've never seen this debate broadcast like this, and with this level of maturity ANYWHERE...

Kudos to this program, and kudos to Adam Sessler.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
albino boo said:
Congratulations Mr Jaffe you win PR screw up of the week. If the video gaming industry wants to counter the current issues it needs to get better organised and stop playing to the gallery of the hardcore gamers. The people you need to convince that games aren't a risk are just going to see some hipster launching a personal attack via twitter on someone they trust. If you want change people minds, you need to put your best suit and respectfully and forensically dissect the oppositions argument. Angry rants didn't work for the Tea Party and it isn't going to work for the gaming industry. The industry needs to sound like serious responsible people not some hipster ranting about capitalism.
I find it sad that you find what Jaffe said to be "hipster rambling" on Twitter. Saying something about it at all as a big name in the industry at all is a rare sight. Not even the big publishers like EA or Activision really have said anything to combat the current "violent games are bad" argument.

With today's technology and the fact that online news is much more relevant than televised news(both CNN and Faux News have been going through the lowest ratings they've seen in 20 years), David Jaffe can do the next best thing to yelling at her in person anytime he pleases. He can directly call her out online in a place she personally frequents, and he can have people do it over and over again with his one rant. He can also guarantee that a lot of major online news outlets will cover it. Gaming news isn't so small on the internet anymore.

vid87

May 17, 2010
WWmelb said:
Signa said:
amaranth_dru said:
In a twist of irony:
I uh.. what?

I've never seen this debate broadcast like this, and with this level of maturity ANYWHERE...

Kudos to this program, and kudos to Adam Sessler.

Agreed, that seemed like a calm, rational discussion to me.

I think what would be interesting is to take every news interview that features this topic involving game industry vets and social scientists and edit all of them together into a montage so we can send them to news outlets and say "WE'VE ALREADY ANSWERED THIS."

Grunt_Man11

Mar 15, 2011
CardinalPiggles said:
I have to completely agree with the good doctor. More control over guns AND games isn't a bad idea at all. I'd be happy knowing my younger brother, and maybe someday my children won't be able to play games that are so grotesque. I'd also be happy knowing people can't go out to the local shop and buy an M16.

Of course, these don't cause people to want to murder a whole bunch of innocents, but it can't hurt to have a little restriction on these things.

Also, it's funny how she is trying to argue with facts and then basically mocking him, what a *****.
Response to part in bold: No, just no.

It starts with a "little restriction," then it grows and grows till it becomes, "1st amendment? What's that?" and "Bill of Rights? You don't need that."

Signa said:
amaranth_dru said:
In a twist of irony:
That's an actual balanced and respectful discussion on violent video games... from Fox News! F***ing Fox News!!!

Someone send that news anchor a "Thank You for Actually Practicing Journalism" card.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
Saying nothing about how the reporter's leading questions and dismissive attitude towards the answers the expert gave, they prefaced the interview with a review of possible job losses from gun manufacturers resulting from an assault weapons ban? So many problems with this.

They harp about job losses from gun manufacturers but don't even acknowledge job losses that banning violent video games would possibly result in despite the games industry being massively larger than the numbers cited there for gun companies. They don't talk about the possibility of gun manufacturers retooling their factories to produce weapons that do conform to these restrictions, like car manufacturers conform to emissions standards. Finally, how callous to suggest that people's jobs are more important than people's lives. What was their next story? 20 American soldiers died in Afghanistan today and thank god because that means 20 new job openings for unemployed youth?

Zeles

Oct 3, 2009
Gizmo1990 said:
amaranth_dru said:
I really feel bad for you Americans that you have to live with this kind of journalism. How does anyone in your country get any facts?
Daily Show. Kind of sad when I trust a comedian to give me news more than any other station.