Dawn of War III Announced in New Trailer

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Dawn of War III Announced in New Trailer

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1318/1318686.jpgDawn of War III has been officially announced in a new trailer.

Yesterday, the Dawn of War YouTube channel [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWxzyJYKnfcLRel2Io5NP9g] was teasing an announcement for this morning, and that announcement is now live.

Dawn of War III is real. Veteran RTS studio Relic will be handling the development duties again, and the press release accompanying the trailer will make a lot of fans happy, as it says the new game "combines the epic scale of Dawn of War, with the customization and elite heroes of Dawn of War II."

The trailer shows off a cinematic look at the Space Marines, Eldar, and Orks fighting a massive battle, with many familiar units making an appearance.

In a quote in the release, Executive Producer Stephen MacDonald said, "This is the Dawn of War that fans have been waiting for. Our biggest units ever? Check. Giant orbital lasers? Check. Base-building, epic heroes, huge battles, it's all in there. Get ready for the biggest Dawn of War yet. For the Emperor!"

No release date is given in the trailer, but odds are that we'll be hearing a lot more about it in the coming weeks, and at E3.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
HA, that was both awesome and probably more hilarious then they intended.

Of course all it means is that we will have space marines, orks and eldar, which we all knew would be in it. Possibly titans too. Where the hell is the gameplay.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Three races this time around, it looks like. I'm holding off for news of where the forces of Chaos managed to get themselves lost, but that trailer was very well done.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Cool. I hope they carry some of the features from Dawn of War 2 and not strictly go back to Dawn of War 1's formula.

One thing in particular would be the focus on Leaders for teams in Multiplayer games. I loved how drastically your choice of leader would affect play styles making what was only 6 playable factions feel a lot more varied.

Anyway, I'll reserve myself until more info is released... I'm weary of Sega as a publisher even though I have high opinions of relic as a developer.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Barbas said:
Three races this time around, it looks like. I'm holding off for news of where the forces of Chaos managed to get themselves lost, but that trailer was very well done.
Not sure if you have another source your working off of, but if you're going by the trailer then don't panic yet. The orignal DoW2 trailer only showed Eldar and SM, with a reveal of Tyranids at the end in a extended version released later on. The base game also had Orcs. DoW1's trailer was only SM and Orks, despite the base game having Chaos and Eldar.

It may only be 3 with others added as DLC down the line, but I don't think we have enough to go on yet. The trend so far is 4 races as a baseline with more added in future expansions... whether that continues or not is still up in the air.

As an Ork player, I've been fairly fortunate to have my race of choice represented in all the games so far.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
...aaaaaaand I need a change of underwear. Great.

Seriously, though, very happy to hear that a new DoW is in the works, and especially that they are returning to a grander scale (also, Titans!!!). The trailer does leave me wondering - what is that crater that all the bodies are being dropped into. It seems like a ritual ground of some kind, so that might indicate Chaos as the 4th faction. That would be somewhat "vanilla", but I'm fine with that. Going back to the roots in some way isn't a bad thing. I just hope the game's good and that eventually we get a new Dark Crusade...

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
It looks like there will be Imperial Knights in it, so I'm pretty happy. I love the Knights.
Really needs to be more books including or about them.
I'd read the hell out of a book about Amaranthine.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
By the Emperor's Hands that was fucking cool! My hype level just jumped from "Bored at work" to "Over 9000!" in an instant.

Please be like DoW and now DoW2, please be like DoW and not DoW2, please be like DoW and not DoW2...

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Barbas said:
I thought that's what the island was. An after-life island where all the dead fall from the sky? Sounds Chaosy to me.

And super hype!

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
I wept. In the name of the God Emperor, our undying lord, I am pleased.
Gorrath said:
By the Emperor's Hands that was fucking cool! My hype level just jumped from "Bored at work" to "Over 9000!" in an instant.

Please be like DoW and now DoW2, please be like DoW and not DoW2, please be like DoW and not DoW2...
There's a strong following for both games. If Relic can balance the two, they will hopefully be onto a winner. Of course, people will then complain that it wasn't 100% like DoW1 or 100% like DoW2, but if those are the games you love, they still exist. They say there will be base building, so that should please many DoW lovers.

Steam states that right now 701 people are playing Soulstorm.
There doesn't seem to be anyone playing the other versions of DoW

400 are playing DoW2
856 are playing DOW2 Retribution

So obviously DoW2 has the bigger following and personally I prefer DoW2 to DoW1, but even if they edge back towards DoW1 I will be happy, as long as they keep all the positive aspects of DoW2.
I just frown at people who just want an updated copy of a previous game. If you love it so much, go play that one. We progress nowhere by just copying the same game over and over. Look at CoD. Boooooring.

As for the video...I wept. The Emperor, blessed be his name, I am pleased.

How they will manage to make all this work AND include Knights is beyond me. But if anyone can do it, Relic can.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Jandau said:
...aaaaaaand I need a change of underwear. Great.

Seriously, though, very happy to hear that a new DoW is in the works, and especially that they are returning to a grander scale (also, Titans!!!). The trailer does leave me wondering - what is that crater that all the bodies are being dropped into. It seems like a ritual ground of some kind, so that might indicate Chaos as the 4th faction. That would be somewhat "vanilla", but I'm fine with that. Going back to the roots in some way isn't a bad thing. I just hope the game's good and that eventually we get a new Dark Crusade...
Oh yes I hope that too. I loved Dark Crusade as an expansion, it was the best by far.
I also loved just ruining someone's day with the Necros in Multiplayer. Harrass them the whole day with my troops all dyeing near their base, then do a nice "Revive everything around me" with my hero to get way above the troop limit and just sweep the map clean.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Li Mu said:
I wept. In the name of the God Emperor, our undying lord, I am pleased.
Gorrath said:

There's a strong following for both games. If Relic can balance the two, they will hopefully be onto a winner. Of course, people will then complain that it wasn't 100% like DoW1 or 100% like DoW2, but if those are the games you love, they still exist. They say there will be base building, so that should please many DoW lovers.

Steam states that right now 701 people are playing Soulstorm.
There doesn't seem to be anyone playing the other versions of DoW

400 are playing DoW2
856 are playing DOW2 Retribution

So obviously DoW2 has the bigger following and personally I prefer DoW2 to DoW1, but even if they edge back towards DoW1 I will be happy, as long as they keep all the positive aspects of DoW2.
I just frown at people who just want an updated copy of a previous game. If you love it so much, go play that one. We progress nowhere by just copying the same game over and over. Look at CoD. Boooooring.

As for the video...I wept. The Emperor, blessed be his name, I am pleased.

How they will manage to make all this work AND include Knights is beyond me. But if anyone can do it, Relic can.
Eh, I'm not sure Steam numbers taken as a snapshot are a good indication of the popularity of each game. If you look at the modding community for each game I think that gives a really good sense of popularity as well, especially in how many mods there are for DoW2 who's purpose is to make DoW2 more like DoW.

In any case, I'm not at all against progress or change in my games but I feel like they lost the plot in DoW2's multiplayer because the game wasn't at all designed around that aspect; it was sort of bolted on because the single player was modeled after CoH. There are those who really liked DoW2's multiplayer but I was certainly not one of them. What I would like to see is what they've actually described; base building RTS gameplay with hero mechanics. I liked the evolution of DoW through the expansions (when they stuff wasn't buggy or broken, like Necrons) I wasn't so fond of the revolution that was DoW2, though DoW2's single player was also much more interesting than DOW's.

Both games have their positive aspects but I'd be quite irked if they had come out with another bolted on multiplayer. Thankfully, that does not seem to be the case.

Also, why frown at people that want an updated version of a game they love? X-Com was basically an updated version of UFO defense and there was nothing wrong with that. If someone loves a game, why shouldn't they be able to ask for and enjoy more of what they loved with an all new wrapping, units, mechanics ect? Asking for more of what one loved about a previous game does not suggest that they are asking for pure stagnation.

Zelderahn

Feb 19, 2014
I am confident that Relic will find a way to balance it to be enjoyable to play with larger scale than DoW and hyooge epic units. The Company of Heroes 2 model has just enough space for you to make a decent sized strike force, while retaining a ton of tactical flavah with your choices.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Woah.. Wait a second was that..Eldar and Imperial KNIGHTS?

If they gonna be including them then this means it won't be a pure skirmish game like dow 2 but more like the bigger battles of dow 1..

*reads rest of article*

In the thread about the announcement of the trailer I said i wasn't as excited as I should be, but after this trailer I'm now totally pumped, bring on dow 3!

As an aside I like how Blood Ravens are like the anti sue of spehss mehreens, they seem to get thrashed in every dawn of war intro xD

Subbies

Dec 11, 2010
Frankster said:
As an aside I like how Blood Ravens are like the anti sue of spehss mehreens, they seem to get thrashed in every dawn of war intro xD
At least this way we don't have to lock the reliquary.

OT: What's up with Gdubs? Did they finally grow a brain or something? We're getting DoW, BFG:A and Space Hulk announce/released in the same year!

DarkArk

May 3, 2011
Anyone else feeling a little tired of getting the same factions on release? Would it have killed them to have put in Necrons or Tau in place of Eldar? Maybe just me.

Also, while I love that they are apparently putting in at least the smaller titans, it probably means I won't get my beloved Dark Eldar again. Ah well.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Barbas said:
Ragsnstitches said:
At the end of the video, in the shortened edit, it says "three devastating forces".
Ah, I skipped that... oh well.

Not sure how I feel about that now. Even though I main Orks, I enjoy the diversity of play styles the other races bring... I hope this doesn't end up being a more shallow experience then prior games. Time will tell.