Dawn of War III Announced in New Trailer

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I hope the Necrons are in this game. Don't get e wrong, Tyranids in DoW2 were a hoot. But I was sad they didn't get a look in that game, in single player.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
LegendaryGamer0 said:
No Tau.
No Necrons.
No Nids.
No Chaos.

What manner of heresy is this?
The kind of heresy that wants to sell you lots of DLC.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Li Mu said:
ObsidianJones said:
Minor nitpick first.

... What's the deal with the Space Marines? They are supposed to be built like walking brick shithouses, each and every one of them. They look like skinny cosplayers here.

Now that that's done...

I need to see about loot. I'm a loot whore. I've always have been. The thing that kept me coming to the original Dawn of War II was getting better gear. If we can have skirmishes with our gear, I will never leave my computer. I will take Adeptus Astartes to new heights of Xeno purging, for all must know the Emperor's Mercy.

My hopes are that we're going to get ACTUAL CHAPTERS/CLANS this time around. I don't want a White Scars skin. I want the White Scars. I should be going around in Jet Bikes if I pick the White Scars. I should be less bolter and more power sword if I pick the Black Templar. And I should be doing heavy damage with the Salamanders with all my flamer based weaponry, with better power armor but slower movement speed.
Yeah...your wish list is nice. But if you expect that to happen, prepare to wait another 5 years for it to be released. Considering people want EVERY RACE on release with EVERY VARIATION in GREAT DETAIL we'll be waiting a long long long time. Even if they only made variations for the first founding chapters, plus the main Ork hordes and the main Eldar craftworlds, that would be 20+ unique armies to create. I love that you hope such a thing, but really this is a thing for modders to create. I'm sure we'll get a few DLC skins, but the rest will have to be made by modders.
Tbf it's something that could easily be implemented...

Pick the Salamander Skin, your flamers do more damage, Black Templars? Sword upgrade instead of Heavy Bolter.

Just slight variations of the same army's which changes due to skin colour, instead of 20+ armys.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
Well it would be good to please all the people who could not handle not being able to build pointless buildings in a game based on 40k where they dont build bases, they drop shit from orbit and get shit done. But DoW1 had an alright balance and still had to getting out ther to cap points, instead of hangin around base for ages building and upgrading. DoW2 fit in alot more with the lore, and i found the multiplayer yes abit of a step back in terms of scale from dow1. But dow1 all my space marines for example felt very expendable, died, replaced. Added no value to keeping my guys alive. I just really dont get why everyone loves base building so much. In Total Annihilation/ Planetary it works, in C&C and StarCraft it works fine. But in 40k......eeeehh kinda. Ill be interested to see some gameplay.

Also Knights ?! How thwe hell did the blood ravens manage this ? And that super rare Terminator armour. Wonder who "gifted" that to them lol. Blood Ravens dont seem to be having a good time of it. After Retribution the chapter is pretty broken and rebuilding, wonder how much time has gone by since then. AAAHHHH exciting times.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Smilomaniac said:
ffronw said:
LegendaryGamer0 said:
No Tau.
No Necrons.
No Nids.
No Chaos.

Hopefully expansions. I don't know, does anyone call it expansions anymore, or is it just DLC, no matter the amount of content..?
Relic's been pretty good with them being expansions rather than DLC - though I think Chaos Rising was an expansion pack while Retribution was more of a stand-alone game (didn't need DoW II to play, which Chaos Rising did).

Typically though they've left race/army additions for expansions, with all the DLC just being fancy skins and gear packs rather than anything major.

(and I think there's still a difference between 'expansion' and 'DLC' despite everything being downloadable content these days - Expansions are major packs that continue the story/have heavy mini-campaigns, while DLC is for smaller things like skins, side-stories, map/weapon packs and the like, stuff that's largely dressing rather than a main course. So, Fallout New Vegas: Old World Blues is an Expansion, but Mass Effect 3: Leviathan is DLC kinda deal.)

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Have we not learnt to distrust prerendered game trailers? I'm pretty sure we did. This is nothing but. There is not much to go on at all here. Perhaps my lack of experience in this series is worn on the sleeve, but i honestly don't understand the hype at all. Also is it PC exclusive?

delroland

Sep 10, 2008
Barbas said:
Three races this time around, it looks like. I'm holding off for news of where the forces of Chaos managed to get themselves lost, but that trailer was very well done.
Where do you think all those bodies are being dumped?

SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
delroland said:
Barbas said:
Three races this time around, it looks like. I'm holding off for news of where the forces of Chaos managed to get themselves lost, but that trailer was very well done.

Watch to the end of the trailer. Sorry.

delroland

Sep 10, 2008
Barbas said:
delroland said:
Barbas said:

Watch to the end of the trailer. Sorry.
Could be a distraction. Who else would be dumping thousands of bodies into a rocky pit in some bleak, formless landscape?

Edit: at the very least, it could be foreshadowing for the inevitable xpac.

Oct 22, 2011

As for the factions: Steam site says about 3 campaigns only:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/285190/
Although that doesn't have to necessarily mean only 3 factions will be available: First DoW had 4, yet only Space Marines got their own campaign.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Neverhoodian said:
Praise the Emperor!

The whole falling bodies and mound of skulls bit smacks of a Khornate ritual. Perhaps they're teasing Chaos for a fourth faction?
Maybe an unplayable final enemy faction in the first title and story mode, unlockable for multiplayer and as a story mode pick in dlc or expansions?

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
LegendaryGamer0 said:
No Nids.
No Chaos.

Those will probably be revealed later on down the line. As for the Space Commies Tau I'm doubtful they'll get any game time short of an expansion pack/DLC.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
ffronw said:
That is absolutely the worst kind.
Hazy said:
Those will probably be revealed later on down the line. As for the Space Commies Tau I'm doubtful they'll get any game time short of an expansion pack/DLC.
At least I still have Dark Crusade!

Patinator

Oct 20, 2009
They may be at the bottom of the wait list to get in the game, but man do i want the Sisters of Battle.

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
Gorrath said:
A seeming suggestion that Warhammer stole from Warcraft and not the other way around? Careful, or my brethren and I may be forced to cleanse you with holy promethean. Warcraft ripped off Warhammer as much as Warhammer 40k ripped off Dune.
I know that Blizzard ripped off W40K (that ripped off a lot of stuff from things that also ripped other things from other properties... ad infinitum.)

My point is that all Warhammer games are always, at first, about Space Marines and Orks. Maaaaybe Eldar.

Never Tyranids, Tau or Necrons...

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Czann said:
Gorrath said:
A seeming suggestion that Warhammer stole from Warcraft and not the other way around? Careful, or my brethren and I may be forced to cleanse you with holy promethean. Warcraft ripped off Warhammer as much as Warhammer 40k ripped off Dune.
I know that Blizzard ripped off W40K (that ripped off a lot of stuff from things that also ripped other things from other properties... ad infinitum.)

My point is that all Warhammer games are always, at first, about Space Marines and Orks. Maaaaybe Eldar.

Never Tyranids, Tau or Necrons...
I was just ribbing ya, honest. I'm surprised that it's Mahreens and Da Boyz with a bit o' the old Eldars thrown in. It could have been worse, it could have been mahreens vs spiky mahreens in a battle to see who's pauldrons got too big for their side to move. I would especially like to see Necrons now that their fluff is neat instead of, well, shit. I think they usually wait for 'Nids because 'Nids tend to be an, "up the ante" kind of menace. As for Tau, I'll be happy if they all commit sudoku.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Buizel91 said:
Tbf it's something that could easily be implemented...

Pick the Salamander Skin, your flamers do more damage, Black Templars? Sword upgrade instead of Heavy Bolter.

Just slight variations of the same army's which changes due to skin colour, instead of 20+ armys.
Firstly, that's not what people were asking for. They wanted totally individual models as well.
Secondly, while your idea would work in single player, it would be a nightmare to balace in multiplayer. If a Salamander's flamer was +10 damage stronger than a normal flamer, it would probably end up being imba since a normal flamer would do the percieved correct amount of damage. Inevitably you'd end up with some chapters/mobs/craftworld's being far more powerful than others, which would mean that if anyone wanted to play completatively, they would HAVE to be a certain build. You would end up with mismatches and certain groups being better against others. You might have Blood Angels having a skill which made them instantly super killy against Biel Tan Eldar. So people would end up winning not because of their skill, but because they chose the right faction type.

Again, it would work in single player. But in single player you're only going to play as Blood Raven's anyway.

Just look at the mod for DoW2, 'Elite Mod'. They've been trying to balance this for years now. Every time they add a new unit it throws everything out of sync and they have to readjust everything to work with the new changes.