Day of the Doctor thread SPOILERS!

Generalissimo

Your Commander-in-Chief
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
UK
i LOVED it. I never thought they could write in Gallifrey surviving the time war and having a chance of being brought back into normal space, timelords, TARDIDes and all. and yet they did. masterfully.

enough fanboying.

but one last thing. yes, that was Tom "mother****ing" Baker.

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
Not sure how I feel, especially since they have essentially re-written the fate of Gallifrey so that now "everybody lives" like this backstory was somehow tarnishing the Doctor and needed to be retconned.

Plus, it heavily relies on the "duck and all the bad guys shoot each other" trope.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
I KNOW!

I loved it,
I really did.
Especially

"It's all 12 of them."
"No, all 13!"

I was hyped and for me, it did deliver.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Honestly i thought it was shit!

Dont get me wrong the acting was amazing and all the actors did an amazing job, but for the love of god it still seems as though Moffat has yet to learn any lessons. I might forgive him if the Christmas special turns out to tie everything together in a genius fashion but at the moment i cant see that happening.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
I squealed and threw my cuppa all down myself when I saw him.

and did some of this

[img=height="300" width="300"]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1395790_10153510117630065_80905201_n.jpg[/img]

I loved it! [sub]Sorry to my boyfriend for breaking our tradition and not watching it with him, I could't wait until Wednesday ;([/sub]

Really can't wait for Christmas :D Glad Moffat seems to be on top form. That episode at least!

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
There are 3 problems I have with the episode. 1)It felt a bit sluggish at the beginning, 2 It was disappointing Christopher Eccleston didn't come back for a full regeneration scene and 3) Why Billie Piper? I guess having The Moment switch between different companions would have been too costly/difficult/confusing, but Catherine Tate would have been way better. Other then that, two massive thumbs up.

Is it wrong that I cheered when Matt Smith's Doctor went "No, Thirteen" and they did a brief shot of Peter Capaldi's eyes?

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Plinglebob said:
Is it wrong that I cheered when Matt Smith's Doctor went "No, Thirteen" and they did a brief shot of Peter Capaldi's eyes?
No, I squeed. I squeed hard. All over the place.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
When John Hurt started to regenerate, I was almost expecting to see a Christopher Eccelston cameo.

I like that they were able to change to outcome of the Time War, but the number of questions it generates, such as are the Timelords still bat-crap mad. What about all the anomalous creations brought about by the Time War (The Nightmare Child for example), is Rassilon mad at the Doctor, and will we see The Master again now?

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
I thought it was great, genuinely surprised me when they decided not to destroy Gallifrey after all and it was a fairly good explanation for how they avoided it. A little dark for the kids but that's what you expect with Doctor Who now days right? Interested to see how they work Gallifrey's new fate into future plotlines.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Oh my god! A retcon of the destruction of Gallifrey and that Smith is the 12th not 11th, Tennant 11 not 10 and Eccleston 10 not the 9th Doctor. Making the Doctors life almost up with his next life, but I'm glad they didn't retcon McGann into oblivion as was the rumors going around that Hurt's Doctor replaced McGann's as the 8th and "Time War" Doctor.

Humor was fantastic too, it's such a shame that Tennant and Smith's Doctors couldn't be together more, they have some great chemistry.

Also if you saw it in cinemas then you got a sweet into from Strax and the 3 Doctors!
3D was top too!
Considering that at the end everyone was clapping, and that there were many a laugh and joke at references, I'd say it was a success!

Can't wait to see where they go with recovering Gallifrey! Seeing as now the Doctor is at the the end of his life after Smith regenerates, I'd bet money on the Doctor going on a quest to find Gallifrey and be rewarded with another set of regenerations by the Time Lord.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
I'd just assume that the changes only take effect in Twelve's timeline. Makes far more sense to me.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I liked it which suprised me alot as my opinion of the show since Moffat took over can be summarised as BORING!, I think that John Hurt owned it as the Doctor and it was great seeing Tennent again (they both outshined Smith these but I think most people expected that) and I am excited that now the Time Lords can return but I do have a few questions such as:

How does this effect The End of Time and the fate of the 10th Doctor? In The End of Time the Doctor was very clear that at the end of the war the Time Lords became just as bad, if not worse, than the Darleks yet now its cool they are alive. 007 Time Lord seemed like he really wanted to destroy the whole of time so he and the other Time Lords could become Gods. Just saying.

As epic as it was to see Tom Baker (and it was SOOOOOO EPIC!) how does he fit in? The Forth Doctor never got that old so what the hell was that? (again not complaining it was epic)

How is it that the Doctor could spend his whole life, since his first life, doing the maths to time freeze Galifray before the war even began?

So overall I enjoyed it but there are a few things that need to be asked. Also on the plus side this should give the writers an easy way to extend the show beyond the 13th Doctor, they can simply have him find Galifray and then have the Time Lords give him another regeneration cycle as a reward for saving the planet.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Great great great fun watch, and I popped for little things like that Captain Jack reference.

I will say though, plot was convoluted as all hell, and the lack of the ninth doctor is kind of painful... But how would he have fit in with 10/11 anyway? He's the angry Vietnam war vet of the three.

I like how it's set up though to send 10 straight to his death.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
JoJo said:
Interested to see how they work Gallifrey's new fate into future plotlines.
Especially since, for the previous Doctors, the Gallifrey episodes where great. The Deadly Assassin in particular.

Right time for re-watch of Terror of the Zygons I think!

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
Gizmo1990 said:
As epic as it was to see Tom Baker (and it was SOOOOOO EPIC!) how does he fit in? The Forth Doctor never got that old so what the hell was that? (again not complaining it was epic)
The Doctor (Tom) said he was revisiting old faces, so he's a future Doctor in retirement, working as the curator. We have seen Timelords choose before, The second Doctor got the choice to pick the third before he annoyed the Timelords and they forced a face on him. The second regeneration of the Timelord (or Timelady) Romana (4th Doctor companion) went through several bodes before she picked the form of Princess Astra.

Edit: I also remember a reference to a Timelord who kept the same face for all regenerations.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
I saw it on the TV, thought it was great but more importantly, what happened your avatar TimeLord? D-: