Day of the Doctor thread SPOILERS!

Encurtidos

May 1, 2011
So..does this mean that Matt Smith's doctor will remember that Gallifrey still exists? I hope the answer is he forgets as well, that would send the show back into its old tunes :D

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
I loved it. I loved the cameos, seeing Capuldi and his whole line on 'No, thirteen!' made me scream, and then promptly cry. Also seeing Nine in there made me cry too. He was my doctor. It was so good, I seriously couldn't take it.

I am not mentally prepared for Christmas though.

TheRiddler

Sep 21, 2013
Loved it. Just wondering though: What do we call Matt Smith's Doctor now? Eleven or Twelve? Same deal with Tennant and Eccleston. Especially Tennant, I always liked that David TENnant was Ten, and I'd like to keep that.

It's a really minor thing, but seriously, what do we call these guys now?

Browncoat86

Mar 27, 2008
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-steven-moffat-clears-2794713

This clears up the numbering... ... sort of.

Anyway, I loved the episode, the Tom Baker wasn't as big a moment for me as it was for some, as I haven't seen anything from before Eccelston. Man, I'm really going to miss Matt Smith.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
TheRiddler said:
Loved it. Just wondering though: What do we call Matt Smith's Doctor now? Eleven or Twelve? Same deal with Tennant and Eccleston. Especially Tennant, I always liked that David TENnant was Ten, and I'd like to keep that.

When The Doctor entered the Time War, he had his number of regenerations reset (as did all who fought in the war [background fluff, can be hard to find]). So, Eccleston was the first, Tennant second and Smith fourth*. But if you are counting regenerations in total then Eccelston was 10, Tennant 11 and Smith 13*.

The next Doctor will be 6th or 15th depending on how you count it**.

* s4 two part finale [not End of Time] showed the Doctor using one of his regenerations to heal himself after he was shot by a Dalek.

** s7 The Doctor used a regeneration to heal River's injury.

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
Gizmo1990 said:
How is it that the Doctor could spend his whole life, since his first life, doing the maths to time freeze Galifray before the war even began?
You would assume it was through the sonic screwdriver again, but that wouldn't make sense seeing as the the doctor went through a few in the original series

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Browncoat86 said:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-steven-moffat-clears-2794713

This clears up the numbering... ... sort of.
....What?
I've even gone and made a new thread for this because I think it's something important to discuss but... WHAT?

Regeneration is a biological limitation on a Time Lord not a choice because he didn't chose the name Doctor.

John Hurt was still the Doctor, Smith and Tennant's Doctors say as much in the Day of the Doctor. Despite forcing themselves to forget his actions, he eventually saved Gallifrey with the other regenerations. John Hurt is the Doctor.

During the saving of Gallifrey, the War council explicitly state that all 13 of the Doctors lives are present with their TARDISs, revealing Peter Cappelli as the next (and last) Doctor.

In the end scene of the entire episode it has a shot of 12 Doctors standing on a cloud!

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
008Zulu said:
TheRiddler said:

When The Doctor entered the Time War, he had his number of regenerations reset (as did all who fought in the war [background fluff, can be hard to find]).
Expect that the Doctor entered the war not under the control of the Time Lords, as is evident by the reactions of the War Council in the anniversary episode and the Doctor's words in 'Night of the Doctor'. He wasn't part of the war until the final days.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
TimeLord said:
Expect that the Doctor entered the war not under the control of the Time Lords, as is evident by the reactions of the War Council in the anniversary episode and the Doctor's words in 'Night of the Doctor'. He wasn't part of the war until the final days.
Except Hurt's dialogue, and in the afore mentioned s4 two part finale (not End of Time), the Doctor states he was there from the beginning (When he spoke to Davros aboard the Cruicible, The Doctor stated that Davros was thought to have perished in the first year of the time war and that he tried to save him then).

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
spartandude said:
Honestly i thought it was shit!

Dont get me wrong the acting was amazing and all the actors did an amazing job, but for the love of god it still seems as though Moffat has yet to learn any lessons. I might forgive him if the Christmas special turns out to tie everything together in a genius fashion but at the moment i cant see that happening.
I agree. There's a lot of fanboy/girlism going on in this thread. Don't get me wrong, I can fanboy with the best of 'em but this was just disappointing.

Perhaps it was all the build up to it that just made the final product seem weak. But I was looking forward to something a little darker and more serious, I know it's a kids show but damn they've pulled it off better than this.

Needs:
-More time on Gallifrey and a chance to really see the impact of the war
-Less John Hurt being incredulous at Smith and Tennant and more serious acting
-Less pouty Piper joking about her sex appeal
-Less Tennant running around England marrying monarchs - seriously, how many times now?!
-Zygons? How did such an inferior enemy get so much screen time?

I had high hopes for the War Doctor when I saw the minisode and the end of the previous series. He looked dark, mysterious and even the Doctor had hidden him from his past. But somehow even John Hurt couldn't save this script as he was made into an apathetic head shaking outsider whose only role was to provide supposedly amusing observations about Smith and Tennant.

Urgh.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
I thought it was a really good episode. A great one in fact. BUT...

My only issue is that it retcons such a huge thing. One of the reasons I liked the Tenth Doctor so much is because so much of what he did and who he was came about because he destroyed the Daleks and Gallifrey. Even as the episode points out, he is the "Man who Regrets". So many of the Tenths greatest moments throughout his series is because you know one simple fact, that the Doctor at one point committed not one but two genocides. It's basically the driving subtext of every decision he makes. Why he is so obsessed with saving EVERYONE. Why in his last few episodes he basically goes insane with power trying to rewrite history as he sees fit. Sure they gave us a half-hearted not very convincing explanation about the other Doctors not remembering that they saved Gallifrey, and thus why everything I just pointed out still works. But it just means one of the heaviest points of Doctor Who loses some of its weight I guess.

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
faefrost said:
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the 13 limit broken way back in the 70's in the Tom Baker episode that introduced the concept? The whole point was the master was on his last regeneration and failing. And was using some Galifrean artifacts to reboot his regenerations (which obviously worked). But the flipside was that the Tom Baker doctor was exposed to the same process. So he theoretically was either reset to 1, or is one of the few Timelords without a limit, since that time.

PS. Is anyone else now feeling deeply disappointed that we did not get to see a full season or more of John Hurt as the Doctor? His performance was wonderful.
BBC has officially axed the 13 incarnation limit sometime during Smith, don't exactly recall when. Nor if they ever tried to somehow rationalize it within the show.

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
I liked this episode alot.
Its a very good episode, possibly even a great one.
I tend to put of that dicision until I've let it stew for a while, but so far my impression is improving rather than deteoriating.

The biggest flaw of the episode is the Time War.
That's partially the way they set it up and described it in episodes like "The End of Time" made it sound like a new definition of hell.
They made it seem that, at best it, would make someone living in the Warhammer 40k universe say "Damn, I never knew I had it so good"
At worst it would be something that would give Cthulhu a bad case of PTSD.
After all its grimdark to say "There is only war", but the Time War is saying "There is only war, There has been only war, There will be only war"
But alas it was generic laser war number 3,232,432,346,

I would have love to see something that might inspire Cass to say the Timelords are as bad as the Daleks. Watch an unnamed monstrosity savage a few pepper pots before getting exterminated.
But no, it's just space marines with lasers.

That or take advantage of the fact that Space-Time is just another weapon in the war. Make the battle seem like a game of Achron with an actual budget.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ9_zCPjCJs
These two races made Space-Time their *****, and were taking turns to royal proxy f*ck each other. Would have love to see that. Watch a ship blow up, then watch time reverse for it so it's un-blown up, only to be blown up again in a different way, then get un-blown up again.
But no, its just quad-lasers vs flying saucers.

Or to at least see a Battle Tardis in action.

But really nothing in reality can match your imagination, it's still an episode I would wholly recommend.

irok

Jun 6, 2012
Oh it was good, it was soooo good, everything tied up with a nice bow and after all the problems that were caused and fixed by the events of it I think its some of the best writing its had in a while, and interestingly we also appear to be getting at least one more Mat smith episode which is great, he didn't deserve to have a small 5min regeneration at the end and their not giving it to him , looks like the next episode will be a proper send off.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
TheSYLOH said:
I would have love to see something that might inspire Cass to say the Timelords are as bad as the Daleks. Watch an unnamed monstrosity savage a few pepper pots before getting exterminated.
But no, it's just space marines with lasers.

But no, its just quad-lasers vs flying saucers. These two races made Space-Time their *****, and were taking turns to royal proxy f*ck each other. Would have love to see that.

Or to at least see a Battle Tardis in action.
Like you said; Budget.

The Timelords primary means of attack were Black Hole carriers. They would have torn themselves apart if they fired one at the Dalek fleet in orbit. Besides, it was the last day of the war. The Timelords had expended most of their arsenal already.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
TheSYLOH said:
The biggest flaw of the episode is the Time War.
That's partially the way they set it up and described it in episodes like "The End of Time" made it sound like a new definition of hell.
They made it seem that, at best it, would make someone living in the Warhammer 40k universe say "Damn, I never knew I had it so good"
At worst it would be something that would give Cthulhu a bad case of PTSD.
After all its grimdark to say "There is only war", but the Time War is saying "There is only war, There has been only war, There will be only war"
But alas it was generic laser war number 3,232,432,346,
Yep...and didn't the Gallifrey soldiers look like Cadians?

Hopefully, though, Smith will unleash the horrors of the Time War onto reality, and regret not blowing everything up.

That stuff about "killing millions to save billions is wrong"...no, it isn't. "Killing millions to save billions is wrong, provided you have some magic solution which makes that unnecessary" is another thing altogether.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
IT WAS FUCKING AWESOME!!

OT:

It actually gives a possible explanation about Rassilon and the Ultimate sanction

General's aid: The high council is in an emergency session, They have plans of their own.
Time lord general: To hell with the high council Their plans have already failed, Gallifrey is still in the line of fire.

Maybe this means that the High council was planning to perform the ultimate sanction without actually informing their generals? It would make sense that the "Civilian government" and the "Military" were acting independent of one another.