Day-One DLC Files Appear on Mass Effect 3 Discs

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
wintercoat said:
I find it hard to believe that a race of highly intelligent beings that can share their thoughts who are facing extinction wouldn't have given each and every one of the surviving few important information in the hopes that it could save the next wave of intelligent beings. Weapon schematics, ship schematics, armor, anything. I mean, the Prothean was literally the final move of the Protheans, and he's "just a soldier"? Bullshit. He was born after the fall of the Citadel and yet he knows nothing?! No advanced prototype weapons, no armor, no ship drives. No data obtained during the war against the Reapers. Nothing.
Well, ME1 had a cadre of stasis pods from the Protheans that were completely isolated from the others of their race. IIRC, Vigil said something along the lines of them going to sleep and hoping they would wake up after the Reapers were gone. I don't think they could have given them the information of all their people even if they HAD intended to. But again, I haven't beaten ME3 yet, so something could certainly contradict me on this in the finale. Everything I've seen from ME1 & ME2 suggests the Protheans spent their final years in complete disarray. Entire solar systems separated from others, coupled with a complete lack of communications.

My understanding from talking to Javik is that the Protheans need proximity and/or touch to share their thoughts. He has to touch the floor of the Normandy to learn about Grunt. If he was born mid-war, I find it highly probably he never came in contact with others planning it.

Ultimately, the people LOOKING for errors are going to find them. Nothing, no work in the history of humanity, is flawless. I DESPISE Harry Potter. My wife loves it. I can point out all the flaws in the writing, and she'll shrug and say it doesn't detract from her love of the world and the characters. Her suspension of disbelief remains intact.

Same thing applies here. I love the universe, and the occasional hiccup really doesn't bug me when it's very easy to think up a workaround on the fly. I find the people "demanding" that any sane person should despise this game to be far more tedious and irksome than the game itself, which I find to be quite an agreeable old chap.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
GamesB2 said:
Just downloaded it, it's 600+MB.

So either Bioware weren't lying, or that's some huge unlock code.
No. Someone said Bioware was lying. The 600mb download doesn't disprove the facts. And the facts are that someone said Bioware was lying.

Why should we wait for Bioware's response when we can just call them guilty now and be done with it???

We are! FOX NEWS!

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
The.Bard said:
Chunga the Great said:
Oh gee, what a fucking surprise.

Seriously, did ANYONE actually believe BioWare when they said that it was developed after the rest of the game?

But it won't make a difference, because the BioWare fanboys will just shell out the cash. Watch how in 2 years this will become normal.
The voice files being on the disc is not proof Bioware lied. They said they developed it after the game. They didn't say after the game shipped or that no piece of it wasn't on the disc already.

It took me about 15 mins to download the dlc on my 360, so a good chunk of this was NOT on the disc. Maybe we wait for a reply from Bioware before chucking stones around?

The judgment going on around here is borderline hilarious. I guess this is what we get from the Fox News Generation.... accusations = facts.
I had to download 567.2 MB of data for the From Ashes DLC on the PC version, so saying the data was all on the disc and just needed an unlock code is completely inaccurate.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
M4t3us said:
I used to be a Bioware fanboy, then they took to their knees before EA.

Sorry, I couldn't help it.
Fear not, we can top that.

I used to be a bioware fan, till I they kneed me in the groin.

There, worst use of a meme if ever I've seen one.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
EcksTeaSea said:
Honestly, $10 isn't going to kill you people. If you can afford a $60 game, I am certain you can drop the $10 if you want it that bad.

"BUT ECKSTEASEA, IT SHOULD BE IN THE GAME WITHOUT US HAVING TO PAY! EA/BIOWARE ARE SCREWING US OVER!"

No it shouldn't. Its up to the company first off whatever goes in and out of a game. Don't like it? Go start your own company and do things the way you want to if you have some time to ***** and moan about $10. Its just another character like Zaeed or Kasumi were from ME2. I didn't see all of this when DLC was released later rather than the first day for ME2. Its the same thing here people except now on launch day. You get something that you pay for as if you would at any other point in time.

"CENTRAL TO THE STORY BLAH BLAH BLAH"

Want it? Buy it. Simple.

So entitled.
Heaven forbid consumers look out for their own interests.

Domehammer

Jun 17, 2011
I won't even buy ME3 if they make from Ashes free as damage control since this came out. DLC in form of disc locked content not downloadable content is worst. Granted I did not know of disc locked content on ME2 when I bought it last year, which I regret as would of not bought it if I had known. For me this is straw that broke camels back. Never again will I ever buy a Bioware game. Any game associated with Bioware or EA I will never buy. Nothing can make me change my opinion on Bioware now as line has been crossed.

Iron Criterion

Feb 4, 2009
Higgs303 said:
Z of the Na said:
The game is out. You can buy it. From Ashes is $10. You are already buying a $60 game, what is ten more dollars going to do?

Are you that insecure about your money that you are going to completely flip your shit over $10?

Just play the damn game, have fun, and shut up.
This is the sort of viewpoint that frequently comes from someone who takes a strong stance against internet piracy (I have no idea what you really think about piracy. I apologize in advance for singling you out specifically). Company screws over consumers, whatever, don't care...Consumers screw over company, how dare they! lousy thieves!

$10 dollars is a 17% increase in price. I'm sure EA/Bioware doesn't sniff at 17% of it's revenue. How long before we are paying 70-80 at retail in addition to being bilked out of yet another $10-20? If we let them, the fatcats will take advantage.
But if you can't afford it, you shouldn't buy it in the first place. There are many games which I want but I don't have the funds.

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
Oh wow, color me shocked.

Still, Biodrones' mouths will remain firmly clenched to EA's asshole.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
GamesB2 said:

Not really. Biowares claim was that they started work on this DLC, with the intent to sell it for a premium, AFTER the game was cleared for shipping, production, etc. They said it was then that they came up with the idea, put it on the disk, and shipped it.

Nevermind the fact that a spript was leaked almost a year ago WITH the Prothean on it. And nevermind the fact that Day 1 DLC like this has been done, and offered for free, from BioWare with almost all of its current console releases.

And if you have content that shows up in the DLC ALSO on the disk, that means at some point, someone had to say "Hey, lets cut it and sell it to people for a premium to make more money". With other games, anything BioWare wanted but could not finish was shipped with new copies to promote buying new copies of the game. BioWare, at some point in development, was working on this parallel to the main game - which BioWare lied about. It could be the case they could not finish it in time - read the above statement. Either way, people payed full price for a game that was not finished, intentionally or otherwise. When the content was delivered, it was delivered for a premium, which is a scumbag move.

And thats why people are pissed. People are pissed at BioWare because they were scumbags about this whole thing. They clearly cut the content to sell to us as DLC - theres too much evidence to pretend like thats not the case. They lied about it afterwards. Compared with their other fiascos (Tali's reveal was a photoshoped stock Windows picture - along with a couple of other slides from the game. For a project like ME3, thats a pretty dick move).

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
The.Bard said:
Chunga the Great said:
Oh gee, what a fucking surprise.

Seriously, did ANYONE actually believe BioWare when they said that it was developed after the rest of the game?

But it won't make a difference, because the BioWare fanboys will just shell out the cash. Watch how in 2 years this will become normal.
The voice files being on the disc is not proof Bioware lied. They said they developed it after the game. They didn't say after the game shipped or that no piece of it wasn't on the disc already.

It took me about 15 mins to download the dlc on my 360, so a good chunk of this was NOT on the disc. Maybe we wait for a reply from Bioware before chucking stones around?

The judgment going on around here is borderline hilarious. I guess this is what we get from the Fox News Generation.... accusations = facts.
Bioware statement was misleading - on porpouse. They've tried to put out the fire with a vague response. They should have said:

Guys, most of our DLC is planned in conjunction with the game, so we can better integrate things (when the DLC is developed is irrelevant). This time we decided that a Day 1 DLC was a good idea, since the content was ready (and a good part of it was already in the disc).

It is greedy as hell, but I respect much more a straightforward answer than beating around the bush PR.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
Uber Waddles said:
GamesB2 said:

Not really. Biowares claim was that they started work on this DLC, with the intent to sell it for a premium, AFTER the game was cleared for shipping, production, etc. They said it was then that they came up with the idea, put it on the disk, and shipped it.

Nevermind the fact that a spript was leaked almost a year ago WITH the Prothean on it. And nevermind the fact that Day 1 DLC like this has been done, and offered for free, from BioWare with almost all of its current console releases.

And if you have content that shows up in the DLC ALSO on the disk, that means at some point, someone had to say "Hey, lets cut it and sell it to people for a premium to make more money". With other games, anything BioWare wanted but could not finish was shipped with new copies to promote buying new copies of the game. BioWare, at some point in development, was working on this parallel to the main game - which BioWare lied about. It could be the case they could not finish it in time - read the above statement. Either way, people payed full price for a game that was not finished, intentionally or otherwise. When the content was delivered, it was delivered for a premium, which is a scumbag move.

And thats why people are pissed. People are pissed at BioWare because they were scumbags about this whole thing. They clearly cut the content to sell to us as DLC - theres too much evidence to pretend like thats not the case. They lied about it afterwards. Compared with their other fiascos (Tali's reveal was a photoshoped stock Windows picture - along with a couple of other slides from the game. For a project like ME3, thats a pretty dick move).
THe Prothean is in game whether you have DLC or not. THe DLC mearly adds more prothean content.

We have NO evidence either way that the prothean content in the DLC was cut or just built upon to make the DLC.

But its just cool to beleive that we're being screwed over.

The fact it's made it onto the disk is neither here nor there on wether its cut content or specially made content.

It could well be a scumbag move but equally it could not be.

hooksashands

Apr 11, 2010
Iron Criterion said:
But if you can't afford it, you shouldn't buy it in the first place. There are many games which I want but I don't have the funds.
By extension of your logic, no one should ever take out a loan on their mortgage, they should just let their home become repossessed because, oh well, couldn't afford to pay it at the time.