Day-One DLC Files Appear on Mass Effect 3 Discs

mintfresh

Nov 28, 2007
Oh good lord, more of this? I am so sick of hearing about this. Specifically with this game, but also with any game that does Day One DLC. It doesn't change a damn thing. Do you think what you're paying for the game, sans DLC, is worth it? Then buy it. If not, don't. It's not like they've hidden the fact that there's this DLC from you. You know what you're getting in the DLC and you know it's not in the game. You then buy the game and the DLC, or don't based on whether you think it's worth it or not.

It's like going into a fast food joint, and complaining because the guy who ordered the large meal got more food than you got in your regular meal.

They're being up-front about what you do and don't get if you do or don't buy the DLC. And as anyone who read the article, instead of jumping on the title for all their rage venting needs, would be able to work out, a few voice files and animations does not an entire DLC make.

Okay. Done ranting. Feel free to respond to me, but I don't intend to get embroiled in this. I'm just expressing my displeasure at the massively overblown fan reaction to this. It really isn't a big deal.

You may now go back to hating EA and Bioware for being businesses and trying to make money, and stay competitive in a market which is moving in this direction regardless.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
MrBrightside919 said:
Bioware made Baldur's Gate 2...

Nuff said...
Old Bioware is to Squaresoft as new Bioware is to Square Enix.

I.e. one made quality games, The other makes shit.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
I does seem like they may have just locked him off to make extra money, if it is true, that is fucked up. As I play the game he seems a little too weaved in to have been added later but Bioware is good at what they do, maybe that fact is just a testament to that. Regardless this whole situation has gotten way out of had, I've been annoyed by it for various reasons and now I just want to play some ME3 and forget about all the bullshit that has come with doing that.

wiredhuman

Mar 7, 2012
To those of you who say "i dont care":
Why do you feel obliged to comment on something you dont care about? Isnt judging something you dont care about a stupid thing to do?

To those who say "its fun, where is the problem?":
Some of us have standarts.
Something being fun doesnt justify it costing 60 bucks + 10 extra.
Moral ambiguity and lack of professional integrity of the process is also not justified by the product being fun.

And finally, to those who say "its only 80 bucks for a single game, get over it!":
There´s a thing called "consumer rights". One may not care about such feeble things as "rights" while posessing the ability to spew money left and right.
If you fail to stand up when your rights are about to be violated, you do not deserve living in a society based on those rights.
And seeing the course the industry is taking, my rights ARE about to be violated by the shameless pricing policies it adopted.
I for my, earned every. single. dollar. with sweat and labor.
I feel entitled to every single of those dollars, and I am backed by law in doing so.
I do not agree to pay 80 bucks for something that feels like 25.
I do not agree to pay 80 bucks, to give 80 of my hard earned bucks to someone blatantly disregarding my intelligence by presenting me a chicken labeled "PIG", and encourage him to do it again next year.
I do NOT. AGREE.

wiredhuman

Mar 7, 2012
Mygaffer said:
I love how angry you are right now! Anyway, what rights are being violated? Your right to set the price on someone else's product? If you don't like the price don't buy it, that is your only "right". Don't take this as a defense of the scheme, I won't be buying ME3.
Privacy, having the ability to block any Origin activity on my pc doent make it ok to shuffle through my shit.
I also have a right to complain on the official forums about a faulty game without being banned to the extend of not being able to cancel my subscription through normal means.
I also have a right to demand the price class of a product to match its performance class.
I also have a right to demand the performance class of a product to match the advertized specs of that product.
There are institutions that enforce those things in other industries, this one lacks those, as it isnt taken seriously by anyone despite its revenue.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Honestly, $10 isn't going to kill you people. If you can afford a $60 game, I am certain you can drop the $10 if you want it that bad.

"BUT ECKSTEASEA, IT SHOULD BE IN THE GAME WITHOUT US HAVING TO PAY! EA/BIOWARE ARE SCREWING US OVER!"

No it shouldn't. Its up to the company first off whatever goes in and out of a game. Don't like it? Go start your own company and do things the way you want to if you have some time to ***** and moan about $10. Its just another character like Zaeed or Kasumi were from ME2. I didn't see all of this when DLC was released later rather than the first day for ME2. Its the same thing here people except now on launch day. You get something that you pay for as if you would at any other point in time.

"CENTRAL TO THE STORY BLAH BLAH BLAH"

Want it? Buy it. Simple.

So entitled.

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
What really surprises me is that the whole damage control team from EA and Bioware act like a bunch of amateurs: contradictory statements, arrogant posture from developers, incomplete or misleading information.

Man, if your game is getting flak, go front and center and answer the problem from all angles, preferably as honest as possible - you might still have someone pissed, but nobody would be able to bring the issue again with "new" things.

If you are the developer and you know that the disc has half a file about the Protean, any marketing professional with half a brain could predict the shit storm a mile away, so just mention it in the first press release and be done with the issue at once.

Of course, a smart Public Relations guy (or girl) would already know that Bioware potatoes were already baking after Dragon Age 2, and would strongly advise against day 1 DLC.

Sometimes it seems that EA and Bioware simply do not care about their image at all. It is one amateurish decision after another. This is extremely short-sighted behavior.

Well, if anyone from Bioware is reading this and want some professional advice just PM me. My fees are reasonable and I guarantee that I can present a PR solution for the situation in a few hours. Be warned that it will probably involve the truth, so you might want to familiarize with the concept first, reading about it in the dictionary or something.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
animehermit said:
Loop Stricken said:
Z of the Na said:
I don't care that it's already on the disc.
But why don't you care? Why are you happy to pay more for something that you already paid for?
Because Mass Effect 3 is one of the best games to come out this year? That it's probably the best game to come out in the past 5 years? That It's the best Mass Effect game in the series and probably there greatest Bioware RPG since KOTOR?

In short, people don't care because the game is really fucking good.
It can't be that great. I'm a fan of the series, but it still wasn't good enought to put up with origin, at least not from what I've seen of it (friends who have it on consoles if you're curious).

dobahci

Jan 25, 2012
godofslack said:
Honestly, this has to be among the most controversial game launches in history among actual gamers. Honestly, with the shitstorm floating around this game I can't imagine that it doesn't hurt sales. This will either damn people to thinking all gamers whine but don't do anything or that we actually will boycott something.
The worst part of it is that the people at EA/Bioware probably already accounted for this when they made the decision to have day-zero DLC.

There's probably a guy at EA/Bioware whose job it was to calculate whether the profits earned from people buying the day-zero DLC would easily offset the lost sales caused by all the bad press. They calculated that it would, so they went ahead and did it, in spite of the complaints.

When fans criticized them for what seemed to be content cut from the game so it could be sold to them separately, EA/Bioware made up a bunch of bullshit to try to weather the storm. But if they were being honest, they would've just said, "Honestly, we don't care about your feedback, just your money."

Lady Larunai

Nov 30, 2010
4 pages and no one has come to the idea that the files were on there for the multiplayer aspect of the game, including the character files so your customer doesn't have to download content just to see the character in someone else's game might be closer than assuming they are out to steal your money

Also no one has mentioned while your complaining about spending $10 ontop of your $60, Aussies have to she'll out $108 for the basic edition

wiredhuman

Mar 7, 2012
EcksTeaSea said:
So entitled.
I am entitled to the worth of my money.
If you can allow yourself to throw your cash around like nothing, be my guest. Just dont tell me I have to too.

tavelkyosoba

Oct 6, 2009
I'd just like to point out that it's not downloadable content if you don't download it.

They should stop calling it downloadable content.

Don't taze me bro

Feb 26, 2009
racrevel said:
Also no one has mentioned while your complaining about spending $10 ontop of your $60, Aussies have to she'll out $108 for the basic edition
Only dumb or lazy Aussies. Smart or resourceful Aussies either import a copy, or enlist one of the myriad ways to purchase a CD key online, and then download through Origin.

Not that I can complain, I'm one of those lazy ones who walked into a store yesterday and impulse bought a collector's version of the game, when I knew I could save half the price by going to Amazon or g2play.

Lady Larunai

Nov 30, 2010
Don said:
racrevel said:
Only dumb or lazy Aussies. Smart or resourceful Aussies either import a copy, or enlist one of the myriad ways to purchase a CD key online, and then download through Origin.

Not that I can complain, I'm one of those lazy ones who walked into a store yesterday and impulse bought a collector's version of the game, when I knew I could save half the price by going to Amazon or g2play.
I could have done that, but I wanted it on release day, usually I live out of the bargain bin..
Also fuck origin I'm in it for the box and free crap, I'm collecting this shit if I didn't want a physical copy I'd pirate it :D

Mewick_Alex

May 25, 2009
Hevva said:
"the build which leaked in November, the official demo, and now the standard retail release of Mass Effect 3 all contain voice files for the [From Ashes] squad member. There's also a full set of model and animation files for the [character], but file encryption makes it impossible to open these for further inspection."
I may be clutching at straws here, but isnt the character still in the standard game, and the dlc just allows you to use him in the squad? That would explain why various animations and voice files are already present in the game.

Not that I really care though, my shiny collectors edition will be here soon.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
At first that didn't seem too odd. There was a lot of stuff for Katsumi on the ME2 disc but that wasn't some deception.

However if just as much is there as for other characters, pretty much the entire thing it seems, then this is pure bullshit. This isn't like Shale where they cut it only to realise they could put it back in.
I've heard the character is in the game either way, which would change things. But I don't know if that is true or not.

Mugen

Dec 14, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
MrBrightside919 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
MrBrightside919 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
MrBrightside919 said:
Bioware made Baldur's Gate 2...

Nuff said...
And that has nothing to do with anything at all being discussed here.
I gave my opinion...
That has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the From Ashes DLC was already on the disk. And even if you're just trying to say that you trust Bioware implicitly based off of their back library of games, it still would have no bearing on this news.
Why are you making such a big deal of my comment? If it makes you happy, I could care less about the DLC already being on the disk. It's not like this is the first time EA has done something like this (Need for Speed, Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2, etc). It doesn't surprise me in the least that this would happen on a BIG release from EA considering that they've done it many times before...and will probably keep doing it to cut corners for DLC they know people will buy anyways...

...and still, if you don't like that they did that, don't buy the DLC and don't give them your money...it's a simple as that
Good, because I didn't buy the game at all on principle against Origin.
as amusing as reading this little back-and-forth has been, i just want to say how sorry i feel for you, Soviet. denying yourself such an awesome game just because you don't like Origin? man, that's sad.