Day One: Garry's Incident Devs Accused of Censoring Bad Review

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
Quite like that video, good move Mr Biscuit.

Hawkeye21 said:
"Day One: Garry's Incident" makes "Ride to Hell: Retribution" look like GTA V. I am not even kidding.
Well I would argue that's a bit generous, but it's pretty terrible yea X3...

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
It's not actually a review, he just plays games for an hour or two and gives his opinion. Unless your game is published by sega. Because fuck sega.

And its really amazing that colonial marines might not even make the top 3 of worst games this year

CBanana

Aug 10, 2010
Hopefully, this doesn't turn out like the War Z/Infestation: Survivor Stories where all the bad publicity ended up with up with more people buying the game because of morbid curiosity or because a Steam sale means owning an infamous game for very little. WZ/ISS is one of the more successful non-AAA game on Steam. I know for a fact that Day One: Garry's Incident is going to have significantly higher exposure because of this.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
On the bright side, the ad revenue TotalBiscuit will make from the "I got censored" video will far surpass the original WTF is video would have made :p

Neta

Aug 22, 2013
I was just reading the "positive" reviews for this game on Metacritic. Completely different people saying almost the word-for-word exact same thing isn't suspicious at all, nooooo...

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
To quote the developer or Paranautical Activity:
"TB is a powerful dude. Fucking with him is like trying to stab a crocodile with your johnson."

That's a little excessive in most situations of course but when you're an indie game dev and you pull shit like this it really isn't smart.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
wulf3n said:
On the bright side, the ad revenue TotalBiscuit will make from the "I got censored" video will far surpass the original WTF is video would have made :p
He's donating all the revenue from the video to the Electronic Frontier Foundation (End of the video) :p

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Neta said:
I was just reading the "positive" reviews for this game on Metacritic. Completely different people saying almost the word-for-word exact same thing isn't suspicious at all, nooooo...
I'm pretty certain you're talking about the reviews that gave the game a 10 score, floating in a sea of zeroes.

With GTA V, some folks decided to give it a 0 on Metacritic just for the lulz and to make a statement of their own confusion and hatred. With this turd of a game, it looks like the devs and their brood went the other way around: create 10 score reviews for a game that gets, well, mostly zero point reviews. There's a lot of apparatchik abuse going on, and I'm pretty sure I don't like their approach of handling failure. They created a turd, they should acknowledge that before they start flinging poop at others.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I've strongly disagreed with TB on a number of occasions but it was more of a respectfully disagreeing as he's simply not "flaming" a game he dislikes. There are reasons, usually shown in the game plus admitting that it's only a demo/beta/short period etc.

I even see this mentality in the comments, plus TB is just one voice so pulling the video makes no sense.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
BanicRhys said:
Cognimancer said:
TotalBiscuit doesn't do reviews, he does "first impressions videos". (excessive finger quotes continue for some time)
True, however what TB does is simply a different approach to the same job. He plays the game, then publishes his opinion on it, then viewers upon hearing his opinion decide whether or not the game in question is what they want, just like your regular review.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Also, i found this on the Steam forums [http://steamcommunity.com/app/242800/discussions/0/810938810880057618/].

MadCrayolaz said:
I'm sure as hell not one to speak for the devs. I myself feel that, up until the DMCA issue, they were doing a good job at least improving the game, and at least getting it to a fun and reasonable state. They were slow at first, but it got better over time. I do like the product so far. Although, I suppose I am pretty biased.

I'm not a fan of TB in any way, and I find him overly obnoxious, but I will take his side on this matter. The devs handled this VERY poorly, and, for lack of better term, ♥♥♥♥♥torming that ensued made this a much worse issue.

However, regardless of my personal stance on this matter, it needs to be known that the ranting posts over the exact same topic need to stop. Temporary bans will start to be doled out to those who continue and posts that cover the same thing will be locked.

EDIT: If you are posting in this thread, refrain from cursing. Using ♥♥♥♥♥torm is acceptable, but use some thought when posting.
So it seems someone at Wild acknowledges the issue.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
If this has taught us anything it's that you don't fuck with TotalBiscuit.

He makes a good point though. Copyright law in its current form is completely broken and Google's kneejerk reactions only confound matters.

Sansha said:
The developers are idiots... any other reviewer and this would just go away, but not fucking TotalBiscuit. TB is an asshole, and loves to take shit personally, so of course there'd be a backlash from this.
Of course he's going to take it personally, somebody tried to fuck with his livelihood simply because they didn't like that he criticised their product. Anybody in his situation would be rightly pissed off, even if you ignore the flagrant anti-consumer, anti-free speech bullshit that this little stunt is.

oliver.begg

Oct 7, 2010
Sansha said:
The developers are idiots... any other reviewer and this would just go away, but not fucking TotalBiscuit. TB is an asshole, and loves to take shit personally, so of course there'd be a backlash from this.

This is ridiculous in itself - censoring reviews is bullshit, but this game is pretty evidently shit anyway - they had a perfectly good opportunity to create a very minimalist and really challenging survival game... but no, magic macguffins.
so its alright for them to try and ruin his job and basicly get him fired, since they don't like his review. but him taking it personally is a no-no.

if someone did that to you, you would take it personally since it would well and truly wreck your shit.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Desert Punk said:
Edit: And entertainingly, this game has a 0.6 rating on Metacritic.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/day-one-garrys-incident

Couldnt even be lower if it was published by EA!
It's also interesting to see that most of the positive 'reviews' are from people who have only rated this game (except someone who also gave the latest Star Trek game a 6/10)

As to the matter at hand, I can see that the developers are upset but they should instead put their efforts in taking criticism on board and fixing the problems with the game. Censoring dissenting opinions is not going to make their game better, it's just going to bring more negative attention to them and I wouldn't be suprised if people started asking for refunds.

theApoc

Oct 17, 2008
The solution is simple, reverse the policy so that the claimant(Wild Whatever Who Gives a Crap Studios) would have to prove that their material was being used in violation FIRST, and should they be found correct, any revenue accrued from that video would go to them and the content would be removed. Otherwise, the content would stay. Should there be further damage, that is what a civil suite is for.

IMO

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
I found the system completely broken, when I did a brief foray into online content, nothing I did was particularly good and my editing sucked, but when 5 different companies attempted to claim the same clip and I had no response from youtube when I cited fair usage, I just gave up video producing.

Again like all small channels I was doing it for the purposes of fun, I did consider doing something else, which was topical gamer comedy in a stand up style, but seeing that even talking about games without footage can have you tagged... yeeeeeah.

So yup, Google needs to fix this stuff and the DMCA needs to die a slow painful death.

Commander Obvious

Jun 2, 2013
October 19th, 2013. 5:03 PM, Canada

Wild Games CEO: "We need a new marketing strategy. Who wants to go first? Don't be shy, now."

*A man in the back raises his hand.*

CEO: "Yes, you with the blood coming out of your ears!"

Man with a severe concussion (We'll call him Zack): "Well, since our attempts at bribery worked out fairly well, I'd recommend getting the attention of a big name in the gaming industry, like Totalbiscuit. We should issue a takedown request on one of their videos to really piss them off."

CEO: "How does pissing off someone with a built-in fanebase of over 1 million people help us?"

Zack: "It worked for Miley Cyrus!" *Zack's eyeball then falls out and he drifts off into a comatose state.*

CEO: "FUCK ME THAT'S BRILLIANT. Someone bring that man a check and a sponge!"

Oskuro

Nov 18, 2009
Did the developers honestly think they could get away with it?
I very much doubt people doing these moves have done any kind of long-term thinking. Even when big corporations are involved, these incidents seem more like knee-jerk heat-of-the-moment reactions, probably handled by a few (or one) individuals.

It is, to a certain point, understandable, not only have they devoted a lot of time, energy and money into this project, quite possibly all their hopes for their future are depending on the project being a success, and negative criticism, when emotions run high like that, is perceived as an outright attack.

But this is the reason why anyone professionally dealing with the general public needs a very competent public relations department with the power to handle these issues (That is, a department that does not get overridden by a higher-up with anger to vent).

I prefer to assume incompetence rather than maliciousness, so I'd chalk all this episode up to stressed out people not knowing how to handle negative feedback.

And yes, this could very well destroy them before a lesson can be learned. Sad.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
To be fair, whilst it's also easy for us to comment on what Google has to do, like all websites that provide a content platform, they're bullied to hell by major media companies and as much universal clout as Google has, it would be suicide if all these companies stopped allowing Google searches to bring up their content.

The issue isn't so much with Youtube (well entirely, their system does need fixing and fast) but with the entire DMCA.