DayZ Coming to PS4, Ditching Xbox One

Kiya

Mar 22, 2012
MrGalactus said:
There's no way you can ask an indie dev to give up such a massive chunk of their money they could be using for development, and respond with "because we can" when they ask why. They must've given a reason, even a bullshit one.
The usual reason given is that Microsoft pays their own people to quality test every patch before it is allowed to go live. But half the time they still end up with patches that introduce more bugs or cause the well known save game corruption bug - then the devs have to pay to do another patch or end up just leaving the game as it is and not bothering to try patching again because they simply can't afford it.

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
Kiya said:
MrGalactus said:
There's no way you can ask an indie dev to give up such a massive chunk of their money they could be using for development, and respond with "because we can" when they ask why. They must've given a reason, even a bullshit one.
The usual reason given is that Microsoft pays their own people to quality test every patch before it is allowed to go live. But half the time they still end up with patches that introduce more bugs or cause the well known save game corruption bug - then the devs have to pay to do another patch or end up just leaving the game as it is and not bothering to try patching again because they simply can't afford it.
That is diabolical

oliver.begg

Oct 7, 2010
MrGalactus said:
"we don't wanna have to be paying ten, twenty thousand dollars"

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT
Why would an update cost anything? What's the cost to Microsoft that forces the price so ridiculously high?
thats the reason BF3 only got updated on DLC's, since you payed for said update

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MrGalactus said:
When you're Microsoft, "because we can" is a good enough reason. Microsoft wagered they'd pay it. And you know what? It worked. Quite a bit.

And since people have brought up the QA argument, their QA is crap. Even with the extra time spent on games ostensibly being tested for compatibility, they've released a bunch of games with serious glitches, including games that wouldn't even freaking load. Honestly, I expect a higher level of quality from a platform that pulls this, but you get a more robust experiece from Steam and PS3.

MrGalactus said:
"Seventy-Two portraits and that was the best one."

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Well that was a ringing endorsement of Microsft's indie support. /sarcasm

And we're not talking about some crappy platformer, DayZ sent ARMA 2 to the top of the Steam sales charts and helped kick-start the zombie-sim genre.

Saregon

Yes.. Swooping is bad.
May 21, 2012
Kiya said:
So yes - on top of the fact that Microsoft insists all indie devs must use a publisher, you can't really blame them for saying no to that.
Really? That's... the dumbest thing I've ever heard. So basically they don't think indies should exist then? Considering an indie with a publisher is no longer an indie and all that..

OT: This is a good thing, the more prominent developers speak out against the damn thing and its policies, and more importantly, follow through on it, the better. Big creds to Dean Hall.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
MrGalactus said:

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT
Why would an update cost anything? What's the cost to Microsoft that forces the price so ridiculously high?
When CCP where developing Dust: 514 they where considering bringing it to both the Xbox 360 and the PS3, they scrubbed the 360 version and one of the reasons was that "Microsoft want developers to avoid free DLC and updates so they charge the developers when they want to update a game to encourage them to charge for it so Microsoft can take a cut out of the points transaction".

Whether thats true or not I don't know but its what CCP claimed at the time.

Indie wise Sony have been pushing the boat out, the Vita is a great indie platform now. The new buy a PSN store game and get both the PS3 and the Vita version with transferable saves and progress is great too.

oliver.begg

Oct 7, 2010
J Tyran said:
MrGalactus said:

When CCP where developing Dust: 514 they where considering bringing it to both the Xbox 360 and the PS3, they scrubbed the 360 version and one of the reasons was that "Microsoft want developers to avoid free DLC and updates so they charge the developers when they want to update a game to encourage them to charge for it so Microsoft can take a cut out of the points transaction".

Whether thats true or not I don't know but its what CCP claimed at the time.
DICE said the same thing for BF3, so i would say its true

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
See this is how consoles should fail, in a calm and relaxed manner pointing out bad practices will be left to the side to wither and die.

Now if only the rest of devs find a modicum of standards we will be just fine.

Kiya

Mar 22, 2012
well you have to remember that Microsoft set up the system when they were king of the hill. When publishers and devs didn't really have any alternative but to toe the Xbox 360 line if they wanted to sell their games to what was at that time by far the biggest audience. Then Steam set up their system allowing devs to self publish, price their games and do updates as often as they want/need to which is why there has been a mass exodus of indie devs to Steam over the last few years.

I find it amusing that so far Microsoft seem to be trying to ape Steam by pushing all of Steam's restrictions with the Xbox one and providing none of the benefits to either devs or consumers (free dedicated servers, free friends, chat, groups, in-game browser, the steam hubs for each game where you can upload screenshots, artwork, link youtube vids, the streamlining of using game mods with the steam workshop - all for free.) It's as though they looked at the Steam model, saw $$$ signs and never looked at any of the underlying reasons for why it works as well as it does, or blinkered themselves by only seeing how it could benefit publishers.

Sony on the other hand seem to have actually done some research and have not only added some of Steam's benefits for developers to the PS4, but one upped the PC/steam model for gamers who still want to be able to lend or resell their games without any restriction. I'm looking forwards to it. :)

hutchy27

Jan 7, 2011
Sounds good, I'll be getting the stand alone on PC, but nice to know I have a 2nd option. Also bloody hell, charging them that much for a update? That is just terrible.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
roguewriter said:
If "Rocket" honestly thinks taking their game is going to hurt Microsoft, they have a delusionally high opinion of themselves and their Arma Mod Game.
Where did he say anything about 'hurting' MS?

I mean, if you can afford patches worth $40,000, you're most welcome to develop games for XBone. But don't jump on someone else's throat if he finds it fiscally unsound.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
MrGalactus said:

I think (though don't quote me on this) this is the reason that Valve stopped updating (if they started at all) TF2 on Xbox. They've updated the game countless times now. Hundreds. Each one of those updates would have cost them thousands to Microsoft. Because of this the game is still in it's very early stages compared to the PC counter part.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
Dreadman75 said:
And the hits just keep on coming.

How many nails do we need to finally put the Xbox One in the grave? Or are we past nails by now?
I think by now we're nailing the coffin shut with telephone poles. Made from tungsten. Dropped from orbit.
ReelPhysics did a video involving kinetic bombardment and now it's almost overtaken directed energy weapons as my favourite almost real weapon. Dropping huge tungsten rods from orbit? Fucking. Awesome.

Gravity can be a real ***** sometimes. It's also an excuse to post this
http://youtu.be/hLpgxry542M?t=20s

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
I didn't realize they were making a console a port DayZ. I've wanted to play it but never felt like playing the pc version. Looks like I'll be able to play it sometime next year

Kiya said:
Sony on the other hand seem to have actually done some research and have not only added some of Steam's benefits for developers to the PS4, but one upped the PC/steam model for gamers who still want to be able to lend or resell their games without any restriction. I'm looking forwards to it. :)
I agree. As of right now, things are actually looking up. Its nice to have good options for gaming

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Another shovel full of dirt into the open grave of Microsoft's Xbone. I do hope that DayZ's stand alone premier turns out great but Microsoft's unfriendly policies towards customers and developers is sheen idiocy on their part. If they honestly think their actions will be supported by their more devoted buyers, they're gonna find those numbers much smaller than they expected.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
So it seems that Microsoft's wounds are more salt than I would have thought possible... Ouch.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
I think we've gone far beyond nails and into "mowing the lawn with a nuclear warhead" territory.
Sums up Microsoft's consumer policies quite well I think. We'll get the usual wheeled out corporate response to this along the lines of; "We are sorry to hear of this developer's concerns yet remain confident in our product's success."

Unfortunately for them, every day has a new 'concern' from the industry not to mention the countless average Joe's laughing on the sides. It all adds up and I predict we'll see a huge sales figure for exactly one month after XBone's launch then next to nothing while the PS4 maintains steady sales figures for it's lifetime just as the PS1, 2 and - after a shaky start - 3 did.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
tippy2k2 said:
Huh...maybe this is old news but I didn't know that Sony didn't charge for patches.

I learned something new today!
I don't know where you heard that, but it is around $.19 per Gigabyte bandwidth for developers on PSN patches.