DayZ Coming to PS4, Ditching Xbox One

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
Sigh, and another PC exclusive bites the dust. Its not fair, every single popular game gets ported to consoles (Minecraft, Terraria, Diablo 3, Planetside 2, World of Tanks... etc.) but will we ever get anything in return? Halo 5 on PC, or how about The Last of Us? Never gonna happen.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
clippen05 said:
Sigh, and another PC exclusive bites the dust. Its not fair, every single popular game gets ported to consoles (Minecraft, Terraria, Diablo 3, Planetside 2, World of Tanks... etc.) but will we ever get anything in return? Halo 5 on PC, or how about The Last of Us? Never gonna happen.
That's because those are first party exclusives owned by the actual companies themselves. Sony owns Naughty Dog and them releasing Naughty Dog games on a Playstation platform is like Nintendo releasing a Mario game on a Nintendo platform, they aren't gonna be released on anything else. That's why Last of Us doesn't get ported, while Halo is sorta different since 1 and 2 were ported to the PC, but after that they stopped so as to make it a MS exclusive.

OT: Well I'm excited to be playing DayZ on a PS4 now. As the hardware for the PS4 and Xbox One makes it easier to port things over from PC which is good. Really though expecting exclusives beyond first-party ones this day and age is pretty much gone. But I just don't get some of MS practices and why they force Indie developers to still go through a publisher when their competition, Sony, Nintendo, and Steam, have made it easier for Indie Developers.

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
Neronium said:
clippen05 said:
That's because those are first party exclusives owned by the actual companies themselves. Sony owns Naughty Dog and them releasing Naughty Dog games on a Playstation platform is like Nintendo releasing a Mario game on a Nintendo platform, they aren't gonna be released on anything else. That's why Last of Us doesn't get ported, while Halo is sorta different since 1 and 2 were ported to the PC, but after that they stopped so as to make it a MS exclusive.

OT: Well I'm excited to be playing DayZ on a PS4 now. As the hardware for the PS4 and Xbox One makes it easier to port things over from PC which is good. Really though expecting exclusives beyond first-party ones this day and age is pretty much gone. But I just don't get some of MS practices and why they force Indie developers to still go through a publisher when their competition, Sony, Nintendo, and Steam, have made it easier for Indie Developers.
You're right, those were terrible examples. They were the first things to come to mind as they would be games I'd want to be ported over. I guess a more realistic example would be Red Dead Redemption. But I wouldn't consider it to extraordinary for Microsoft to put it on PC as you said they had previous Halo games on PC and had Fable I and III on PC. Microsoft is the maker of Windows after all, they should treat their children equally. :p But, seriously, I understand why they wont do it. Again, I picked the last of us but its a bad example. But Sony does have their own brand of PC development (SOE) and while they mostly do F2P games they did port over Payday: the Heist. Its only one example but it shows that it has been done before.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
clippen05 said:
True, and it may be possible for them to port over if they were to rework Last of Us to PS4, but porting a PS3 game to the PC, and visa versa, is not easy since the "unique" processor the PS3 has kinda makes things more difficult. Like I said, in this day and age exclusivity is going away as ports are now easier for developers of PC games, but hey look at it this way with more people playing games that they'd originally have to buy a completely different console for now we can have more interesting conversations. ^.^ ...I can hope right? (Please note I have a gaming rig, PS3, 360, and Wii that I bought)
You can also hope for a port of Kingdom Hearts 3 if you like that since it's using DirectX apparently for it's programming.

Gray Firion

Mar 5, 2012
kajinking said:
Remember when we were playing the "Oh god why won't the bad news stop?!" game with EA and simcity? Looks like Microsoft made the sequel! Sadly it still has DRM...
Right? And the irony is, it's a bigger title, with much more variety and a larger scope, but that's not a good thing in this case. ^^

OT: Good to see more developers speaking up about Xbone and do something about it. Good on him.

I haven't tried DayZ yet due to the hassle of setting it all up. Once it launches as a stand alone, that'll be something else entirely.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Microsoft:

Note: Microsoft is not Batman, but Sid the Squid there.

(I'm going to run out of hilariously-relevent clips at this rate!)

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
Dean Hall, Jonathan Blow, Oddworld Inhabitants... Sounds like all the indies are just lining up to give the xbone a well-deserved kicking, I wonder who's next? Add to this indies that already abandoned M$ (like Team Meat for example) and you have to wonder who's left.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Baldr said:
tippy2k2 said:
Huh...maybe this is old news but I didn't know that Sony didn't charge for patches.

I learned something new today!
I don't know where you heard that, but it is around $.19 per Gigabyte bandwidth for developers on PSN patches.
I heard it in that news story

"and Hall is attracted to their free patching policy"

That part.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Good, now git of me land! Git these zed-heads and bandits out'a mah civil war-themed potato simulator!

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
J Tyran said:
When CCP where developing Dust: 514 they where considering bringing it to both the Xbox 360 and the PS3, they scrubbed the 360 version and one of the reasons was that "Microsoft want developers to avoid free DLC and updates so they charge the developers when they want to update a game to encourage them to charge for it so Microsoft can take a cut out of the points transaction".
I now have a new answer next time I'm asked "what's the most dickish thing Microsoft's ever done? Charging devs for patches, in an attempt to get them to pass the costs onto end users, so that you can then take a cut of the users' payments? That's like the platonic ideal of screwing over the customer out of sheer greed.

misg

Apr 13, 2013
Back when I worked for a gaming company, I asked one of my co workers about a bug in the current game and why it didn't get patched. I was told Microsoft charged them 50k per update, forcing them to waiting until a large number of items were done before releasing a patch. Frankly I think this is an insane cost to gaming companies, especially with digital distribution it makes no sense to charge, as it costs pennies to send Gigabytes of data around the world I see this as pure greed.

All this means is gamers are forced to wait an unreasonable amount of time to fully get what they paid for.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
AldUK said:
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
I think we've gone far beyond nails and into "mowing the lawn with a nuclear warhead" territory.
Sums up Microsoft's consumer policies quite well I think. We'll get the usual wheeled out corporate response to this along the lines of; "We are sorry to hear of this developer's concerns yet remain confident in our product's success."

Unfortunately for them, every day has a new 'concern' from the industry not to mention the countless average Joe's laughing on the sides. It all adds up and I predict we'll see a huge sales figure for exactly one month after XBone's launch then next to nothing while the PS4 maintains steady sales figures for it's lifetime just as the PS1, 2 and - after a shaky start - 3 did.
You know the ***** of it? I really liked the XBox and XBox 360. Not as much as the PS2, mind, but the games I played on those consoles gave me happiness, memories and some evil cackling, especially FlatOut 1.

Now, I look forward to what the PS4 has to offer. I'm not going anywhere near the XBox One. Which reminds me, my uncle said something about some games we both enjoyed back in the day were free on PS Store. Gonna have to get that PS+ sometime tomorrow before I go to work.

windlenot

Archeoastronomist
Mar 27, 2011
Callate said:
I don't think this is going to be a game-changer in the console war, but it's telling to those who are watching such things with attention. Between things like this and XBLA darlings like Jonathon Blow (of Braid) deciding to leave Microsoft's console out of future plans, it may add up.
I think it's notable to look past this individual case for what's to happen overall. Yes, it may add up, as Microsoft just seems to be anti-indie in general. Sure, this particular case probably won't change too many people's opinion, but the fact that this will continue to happen with MANY indie games can.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Hang on hang on wait a minute- company's need to pay to patch their games? Please tell me I have misread, that actually makes me scared about the lack of fucking intelligence in microsoft. I hope none of them have children to pass on their idiocy.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
ProtoChimp said:
Hang on hang on wait a minute- company's need to pay to patch their games? Please tell me I have misread, that actually makes me scared about the lack of fucking intelligence in microsoft. I hope none of them have children to pass on their idiocy.
Yes it is true.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118578-Update-Fez-Studio-Rereleases-Save-Corrupting-Patch

It's all part of MS's plan to get the Devs to release the patches as part of paid DLC so they can take a cut.