DayZ Creator: Updating Our Game Is "Terrifying"

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Just picked up the mod yesterday. My initial experience equates to roughly ten minutes of running from a pack of zombies before breaking my legs from a ten-foot drop and getting eaten alive.

I have to say, it's hard to get a handle of. I lucked out and found two guys who had apparently killed each other in melee and got some gear, but I'm paranoid about getting shot in the head now. I wouldn't recommend playing on a server with too many people.

I have a friend I want to play with, but the two times we attempted to rendezvous, he spawned in some far-off area and ended up getting killed. Chances are I'm next, someway or the other.

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
Lipton said:
It's a sick mod and will be an even sicker standalone game. The devs are gamers first and foremost so that's a plus. It doesn't hold your hand so carebears need not apply.
Where to begin?

1. It will never be standalone; Dean has specifically stated it would take 18 months to make an entirely new game with 0 effort going into the current game, and that it would be a financially retarded decision to release it separate with the ArmA 3 engine.

2. A carebear is someone who complains about tackling when they're playing rugby, not someone who complains about sand being kicked in their face when they're in a sandbox.

3. So many morons and trolls are ruining the game and turning it into a cheaper version of EVE Online where they can express their dysfunctional childhood upon others to empower themselves.

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
you know I really do enjoy this mod, even with the arse ended controls haha, my only issue has been with battleye kicking me off every bloody server!.
but yeah I go to the forums enough, people need to understand that the game is still in alpha and isn't going to be some flawless gem

ScaryAlmond

Sep 12, 2011
therandombear said:
Do something with "bandits" and the whole "assholes lying in the bushes killing everyone they see" thing.

And make me start with a gun again, cause I have never found a weapon.
But this system is what makes the game so damn awesome you can do what you want and the devs don't make it easier for kids who cry about how hard it is.
Personally I'm back to the start I had a kick ass car and several good weapons until a guy I saved shot me in the back.
But that's what makes the game so intense even after all I had death was still as frightening.
As for heli's there's nothing as intense as hiding hoping your aren't seen.
As for updates all I really hope for is more servers, bug fixes and interface fixes the game play could use more melee.
and maybe allow for the admins to decide the time i really only have time to play at night would like a choice to play a little in the day my connection can't get a really good connection to servers in other countries but aside from that i can't think of anything.
If I were then I would be bloody terrified as well I just hope that they don't do what this guy is suggesting it would just ruin an awesome experience

Ps I'm looking for a clan if anyone is interested and in Aussie send me a message

TAdamson

Jun 20, 2012
Farther than stars said:
Yeah, I think some of the changes haven't been smart. Looking at Youtube videos from earlier in the year, I think they made the game less accessible to new players and those respawned, which makes being shot by a sniper you never even saw all the more frustrating.
That said, it's still an amazing experience and although grueling at times, at others it has been an absolute blast. And if it ever does become a standalone game a lot of the issues will be hammered out.
I disagree, I think the absolute terror an necessity of finding food, fluids, and weapons right from the start to be a massive push to action.

Right off the bat you're forced to use some of the less prevalent mechanics that you need to use when you're out of ammo.

Picking up and throwing cans and whiskey bottles to distract zombies out of buildings so that you can loot them was a redundant mechanic when you started with a weapon. And you could run from one corner of the map to the opposite when you started with food and water.

The only change I'd like is being able to drink directly from water sources. It's super frustrating when your character is dying of thirst and you can't drink from the well you've found because you don't have a canteen.

Though perhaps drinking directly from a lake should have a percentage chance of becoming ill (Like being cold but with more vomiting.) and that should be countered by boiling water or using water treatment tablets.

Archibald

Jul 14, 2012
Do something with "bandits" and the whole "assholes lying in the bushes killing everyone they see" thing.

PeterD23

Aug 4, 2009
DayZ is a game that if you have the patience you will play over and over again because of how infuriating it is. I guess that's what makes the game fun, gathering materials only for some asshole to shoot you from nowhere and you go right back to the start. I've been lucky to come across a player who didn't shoot me the instant he saw me, just rather walked around and let me take the food I desperately needed to survive. Then you have the asshole bandits who shoot unarmed people even if they don't have beans on them. So, once you get killed enough times by bandits you start to develop a distrust for every player you encounter and become a bandit yourself. The game is much more fun to play with a couple of friends or maybe a whole posse who camp in the wilderness, telling stories of how they shot people with decent loot. It makes gathering loot much easier as you have people who will defend you and you can trust to not shoot you in the back. Sometimes you can be REALLY lucky and find your corpse with all the loot you had still intact like I have done a couple of times now. The game is flawed enough to make you rage quit from complete BS like a zombie spawning behind you and chewing your buttocks off or a hacker who absorbs the two clips of AK you unloaded in his face and nails you with merely a pistol, but you will eventually come back because in the end, everyone goes through this experience because nobody lives forever in this game.

Risu3

Mar 1, 2012
Pretty much every 'unarmed' person I haven't killed straight away when walking around the loot hotspots (cherno/elektro/stary) has ended up finding a gun, then looting the same building as me, freaking out and trying to kill me. The breaking point was yesterday when I decided not to shoot some new spawner- about 40 minutes later the guy brings a train of about 50 zombies into a firestation I was looting, then shoots me. Luckily we managed to kill each other at the same time somehow, so I managed to get all my stuff back.

TLDR: If you meet an unarmed person in town your options are basically either to leave the town or to shoot him, cos you'll probably run into him again 20 minutes later when the nub has a revolver and a twitchy trigger finger

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
This game would work much better if you could communicate via headsets ... but also if whatever you say emanates from your toon, so talking loudly would attract zombies.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Shjade said:
rolfwesselius said:
If you got killed you did something wrong.
Like playing DayZ, for instance. :eek:

Seriously though, every story I've heard from everyone I know who's played this, whether they liked it or not, sounds about the same: "I was looking around for anything at all to stay alive, then a zombie saw me through a wall even though I was crawling and I died." Possible substitutes for "a zombie saw me through a wall" include "a zombie saw me from the horizon," "I got sniped out of nowhere" and "I broke my legs and bled to death." Therefore, I can only assume that DayZ is, in actuality, a testing program to measure the degree of masochism expressed in its players.

Tangentially related: yay Criken channel updates.
The glitches I heard are pretty limited to arma 2. But everything else is true.

Nonetheless it looks absolutely bitchin' to me. I wanna kit out my laptop just to play it. Seems like more and more people keep forming groups with their friends, and that kinda adds more and at the same time takes away from it.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
TAdamson said:
Picking up and throwing cans and whiskey bottles to distract zombies out of buildings so that you can loot them was a redundant mechanic when you started with a weapon.
I didn't actually know about that. That's going to make respawning a little less taxing, but my main problem with spawning without a weapon isn't that the zombies are more of a threat, but players with guns are. At the moment, if you don't have a weapon and you encounter a group, you're pretty much a sitting duck. I think there should be more incentives for cooperation.

Risu3 said:
If you meet an unarmed person in town your options are basically either to leave the town or to shoot him, cos you'll probably run into him again 20 minutes later when the nub has a revolver and a twitchy trigger finger
Thing is though, if you shoot him first, aren't you the one with the twitchy trigger finger?

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Been playing for a week. I've only been killed once by another player, this morning. Balota Air tower, I got disconnected near there, when I got back in I ran around to the back side of the fence. I was like "sweet no Zombies have spawn yet", went inside and hey there another player...

Respawned near Elektro, ran inside the fire station near the church and hit the jackpot. Map, compass, knife, hatchet, matches, waterbottle, binocs, three cans of soda, three cans of food, and a AKM(no ammo). I hit up the hospital for meds and high tailed it out of there. All I have to do is hit a couple deer stands and I'm golden.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
FelixG said:
So yeah, as in real life, there will be those that add to the chaos (the majority) and those who seek to bring order and work together (minority)
I disagree. In real life the majority of people work together with other people, i.e. a society. When you see a random person in the street you tend not to punch him, mostly out of moral/ethical notions, but in a video game such notions don't exist, or are at least very weak, so most people will gun each other down on sight. There needs to be some sort of disincentive to stop that, just like there is in real life.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Farther than stars said:
FelixG said:
So yeah, as in real life, there will be those that add to the chaos (the majority) and those who seek to bring order and work together (minority)
I disagree. In real life the majority of people work together with other people, i.e. a society. When you see a random person in the street you tend not to punch him, mostly out of moral/ethical notions, but in a video game such notions don't exist, or are at least very weak, so most people will gun each other down on sight. There needs to be some sort of disincentive to stop that, just like there is in real life.
How about a "justice" system where after X amount of player kills, the player responsible gains notoriety. Word spreads among survivors or your misgivings and people informally place a bounty on you in order to assure survival for the majority. You can give small incentives to players who kill other "notorious" players as well as have hostile non zombie NPC's spawn for the sole purpose of killing said player.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
FelixG said:
They actually had one in place which they (Stupidly in my opinion) removed.

Before, when you would kill players your morality would drop and your player skin would change to one that was recognizable as a bandit.

When they had that skin you could tell at a glance that they were not good people and you could safely gun them down without a morality hit yourself.

Why they removed it baffles me.
The fact that they removed that sounds idiotic. Though the idea I had doesn't sound like too bad of an idea considering they did, at one point, have a system in place.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Waaghpowa said:
FelixG said:
They actually had one in place which they (Stupidly in my opinion) removed.

Before, when you would kill players your morality would drop and your player skin would change to one that was recognizable as a bandit.

When they had that skin you could tell at a glance that they were not good people and you could safely gun them down without a morality hit yourself.

Why they removed it baffles me.
The fact that they removed that sounds idiotic. Though the idea I had doesn't sound like too bad of an idea considering they did, at one point, have a system in place.
It was removed because people who killed out of self defense would get a bandit skin.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Waaghpowa said:
Farther than stars said:
FelixG said:
How about a "justice" system where after X amount of player kills, the player responsible gains notoriety. Word spreads among survivors or your misgivings and people informally place a bounty on you in order to assure survival for the majority. You can give small incentives to players who kill other "notorious" players as well as have hostile non zombie NPC's spawn for the sole purpose of killing said player.
They had something like that. They called it "humanity", but they took it out, partly because the skin they gave the bandits was cameo, which meant they could do even more killing without being seen. In my opinion they should make bandits wear some kind of orange vest, something which makes them light up like a Christmas tree.