DayZ Mod

Aussie502

Apr 19, 2011
Has anyone here had a chance at the new 'DayZ' mod for arma2? What are your thoughts or opinions on it? Obviously it is still quite new and has many bugs in the game.

For those that are unaware, DayZ Mod is a survival themed fps/rpg playable with arma2. You start a character in a server and you have to basically find weapons and ammo, food, and a range of other items needed for survival. You can team up with friends and survive, or you can be a lone ranger, killing not only the zombies but also other people with the option of looting their dead corpses.

It's a very interesting concept and has an almost unlimited scope for things you could potentially do. Unfortunately, the game is really buggy at the moment and zombies do look quite ridiculous once in combat.

The game boasts a 225km2 open-world, and it really doesn't feel as empty as you would expect such a huge world to be.

My main problem with the game is the horrible inventory system. It also desperately needs a tutorial or something to guide you in the right direction. It basically throws you into the deep end without knowing how to even defend yourself. Similar to how I felt with Minecraft.

Anyway, what are your thoughts about it? I haven't had a chance to play with friends yet, but it really looks like it would be a blast jumping on Skype and wandering the world in a thug gang, hunting zombies and possibly other survivors.

BLAHwhatever

Aug 30, 2011
There was a thread about it several days ago.
I think what next to everyone said is that the mod is super hyper awesome, but since it went viral the game's community went down the drain.
I.e. expect to get shot many many many times while being flamed and told that while they desecrate your corpse in game they are also currently having sexual intercourse with you mother.

Andrewtheeviscerator

It's Leviosahhhhhhh
Feb 23, 2012
I plan on getting it whenever ARMA 2 goes on sale on Steam, hopefully the summer sale is very soon. Also a question, do you need just ARMA 2 to play it or do you also need operation arrow head?

Rose and Thorn

May 4, 2012
Uhgggg everywhere I go, DayZ this, DayZ that...It is depressing really. How such a great game like Arma2 exists and I can only dream to play it on my current laptop. Literally, I have dreamt of it.

Now my laptop isn't bad, AMD Quad-Core Processor A-8-3500M and AMD Radeon HD 6740G2, with 750 Gb, but unfortunatly my specs I feel only pass for a high-medium range. Arma2 is out of my reach until my next laptop. It is a sad feeling.

Then there is DayZ, a really awesome looking mod, as if the game itself wasn't amazing...now I almost feel like blowing money on getting it, but nooo, I will stay strong and merely watch other people play it...on youtube..

*Serious*

From what I see DayZ looks great, like I said, I haven't had the pleasure to play it yet, but I can safely say I would love it as people with the same taste as me love it. A low paced, ACTUAL survival zombie simulator with random loot and Arma2's great system and sandbox level of quality.

That is fresh underwear worthy is it not?

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
I'll have some thoughts on it once I get my new pc, hopefully the game will be out of alpha at that point and all the hype has died down a little.

Theres also talk of it being brought over to arma 3, in which case I'll just wait for that version.

Aussie502

Apr 19, 2011
Andrewtheeviscerator said:
I plan on getting it whenever ARMA 2 goes on sale on Steam, hopefully the summer sale is very soon. Also a question, do you need just ARMA 2 to play it or do you also need operation arrow head?
Yes you do need to also have Operation Arrowhead.

BLAHwhatever said:
There was a thread about it several days ago.
I think what next to everyone said is that the mod is super hyper awesome, but since it went viral the game's community went down the drain.
I.e. expect to get shot many many many times while being flamed and told that while they desecrate your corpse in game they are also currently having sexual intercourse with you mother.
I haven't come across anything like that so far. (I guess I'm just lucky?) However, It really does seem difficult trusting people you meet in-game. I guess people would rather not take the chance of grouping with someone and then getting stabbed in the back later on. Generally I avoid other players like the plague unless I'm just starting out and don't really have much invested in my character anyway.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
I'd love to play DayZ. Unfortunately, it requires the purchase of Arma 2, which I'm unwilling to purchase a game I find as interesting as a box of dirt.

DayZ standalone, amirite? Eh? Eh?

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
LetalisK said:
I'd love to play DayZ. Unfortunately, it requires the purchase of Arma 2, which I'm unwilling to purchase a game I find as interesting as a box of dirt.

I'm in this catagory. I've been thinking about buying Arma2 for DayZ, but I don't want to spend $30 on Arma2 just to play a free mod.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Multiplayer only, pvp, and permadeath? That sounds like the exact opposite of fun.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Andrewtheeviscerator said:
Both, combined they're (quite appropriately) called ARMA 2: Combined Operations. You can buy them separately (it might turn out cheaper) and they'll create a launcher for Combined Ops when you install them.

You might be best served Googling other places, a few places have put it on sale at various points in the past few months. Although, I guess the Steam Summer sale will be soon.

Hannibal942 said:
Wait, do I need Operation Arrowhead or not? I'm getting a lot of mixed signals.
See above.

Kermi said:
LetalisK said:

I'm in this catagory. I've been thinking about buying Arma2 for DayZ, but I don't want to spend $30 on Arma2 just to play a free mod.
Trust me, it's worth it. Myself and 3 friends have done just that and we fucking love it. As does virtually every PC gaming site around at the minute, it seems.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
I first heard about DayZ when it was mentioned by Extra credits on Game you might not have played #4.

I had never played Arma before so I was interested and bought it plus the recomended DLCs which if I recall was just operation arrowhead.

The mods really interesting because its very different. Its not a modern day game in any means and the hardcore feel of the game really makes it have consequences and brings up lots of questions for what would you really do in that situation? Unfortunately I find the game best played with friends, and I think thats unfortunate because it doesnt inspire the same fear that the real life situation would. If I play with my girlfriend and friends there are still consequences if one of us were to steal/harm the other. It isnt the same with actual strangers that met and started working together.

Its also unfortunate because the game really cant be played effectively on your own anymore. You have entire teams of player killers flying around in choppers or driving vehicles or maybe just using those vehicles to go into an area and take all its stuff.

The whole bandit thing is just an epidemic right now and I do hope they add bounties or some other means to combat it. Something like "Hey Ill give anyone 5 cans of baked beans to kill this bandit group".

The second biggest problem with it is the desync. There have been many times where my teams had zombies coming toward us and they look like theyre right in front of us but theyre really to our side. Likewise when you're in a fire fight with bandits sometimes they arent where they are on your screen. For example when I first started the game I got stopped by a couple guys on the road who wanted to rob me. I had just started so I had nothing to loose and opened fire (and I still do that purely on principle that I wont be bullied). I killed the first guy but with the second one I shot him in the head several times, or I thought I did, but the desync screwed me when the other one was on my flank shooting me

All that said, its still a really cool game but it just needs more work. I hope that sometime in the future you'll be able to build entire buildings and even communities rather then just having these small tent clusters with minimal defenses

Alex Tom

Sep 25, 2011
if u can get enough(3-4) people then its worth the 30$ but if u cant get enough people(like me) wait for a sale..or get the demo and see if u like arma 2 vanilla game play. personally dayz is just a cool toping to a game i find interesting

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I love it. The controls are a bit stiff at the moment and the random loot can get a bit irritating but I'm guessing they will work on it more and balance it out.

It's a great idea for a game I hope they continue with it.

An Escapist pub club server would be nice :p You guys could shoot me, you would like that! xD

number2301

Apr 27, 2008
I've put a fair few hours into it, I'd recommend anyone thinking about it waits until we know what's happening with it though. It's either going to go standalone, or become part of ARMA III. Either way, it isn't really worth buying ARMA II just for DayZ unless you also want to play ARMA II.

Also in terms of tutorials, ARMA has one, play that and it'll help you a bit.

Instant K4rma

StormFella
Aug 29, 2008
I'm enjoying Day Z a lot. Yes, it can be a little buggy, but if people can overlook the staggering number of bugs in Bethesda's commercial launches, I'm sure they can overlook bugs and glitches in the beta stages of an Arma II mod.

Aside from not being very polished, I find it super fun. I've met a few folks that have helped me out in a pinch, and I've met a few folks that have shot me in the back the second I look away. After a while, paranoia of other survivors gets pretty high. I'd say it was worth my 30$ by a mile.

halfeclipse

Nov 8, 2008
Kermi said:
LetalisK said:

But if it was stand alone you'd happily pay 30 bucks for the same game?

You're doing horrible, horrible things to logic. Stop. Go sit in the corner for 5 minutes or something and stop it.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
You know, I feel like there is a missed discussion opportunity in Day Z. Look at Steam. Look at top selling games. When there isn't a hot, freshly released game or a really good sale, ARMA Combined Operations has topped the sales chart for WEEKS. So currently, ARMA is outselling Max Payne 3, Modern Warfare DLC, and SKYRIM...because of a mod. A mod that presumably, the developers put 0 resources into. A good community and modding tools presumably turned a mostly forgotten shooter into a money makeing machine because a good mod is out there. For a while, it topped the charts while it was in Alpha. What better example of the power of being consumer friendly translating into good buisness has ever existed?

I do want to play Day Z. Sadly, im on a smartphone-based wireless hotspot for a while, meaning that playing the free mod would cost me over $200 in data alone. I'm excited, but i'm not THAT excited.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
halfeclipse said:
Kermi said:
LetalisK said:

But if it was stand alone you'd happily pay 30 bucks for the same game?

You're doing horrible, horrible things to logic. Stop. Go sit in the corner for 5 minutes or something and stop it.
I never said anything about paying 30 bucks for it, even if it was stand alone. See you in the corner. :)