DBZ Question: How did Bulma and Vegeta got hitched?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Drathnoxis said:
I have no idea, I've always hated that pairing. Vegeta is a genocidal maniac, he has never shown the slightest remorse for his many, many massacres (at least not as far as I watched the show). I don't get why everybody just forgives him when he's obviously a murdering sociopath who doesn't care about anyone. It's actually revolting that Bulma willingly has a child with him. In my opinion Vegeta is so far past the moral event horizon that there is nothing he could do to redeem himself, even if he actually showed any remorse.

Also, if you want a real Dragon Ball discussion you might want to go to Kanzenshuu. They are the best DB forum I've seen and are still somewhat active. I don't have an account there, but sometimes I like to go over and read some of their threads.
It boiled down to the writers being idiots and letting a fan fic writer on to the staff. Even as a kid the pairing made no sense to me. If people like the paring, then more power to them,n ut I have seen more plausible and better pairings in other anime shows.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
Fox12 said:
There's a ripped angry jackass, dripping in sweat, working out in Bulma's back yard every day. He's hopped up on testosterone, and there's a hot chick with a short temper who is probably the only person who ever talked back to him. The sexual tension hangs in the air for months. What do you think happened?

For the record, they weren't married when Trunks was conceived.
But Vegeta has never been one to show Sexual desire, only battle and combat.
Did they ever show Goku actually displaying sexual desire? Because he comes across as a brain dead idiot that only cares about fighting, yet we see he's got a wife and kid.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Happyninja42 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Fox12 said:
There's a ripped angry jackass, dripping in sweat, working out in Bulma's back yard every day. He's hopped up on testosterone, and there's a hot chick with a short temper who is probably the only person who ever talked back to him. The sexual tension hangs in the air for months. What do you think happened?

Did they ever show Goku actually displaying sexual desire? Because he comes across as a brain dead idiot that only cares about fighting, yet we see he's got a wife and kid.
Probably because Chi Chi was doing all the work.....

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Happyninja42 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Fox12 said:

As far as I know Goku only cares about fighting and eating.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
Happyninja42 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Fox12 said:

As far as I know Goku only cares about fighting and eating.
So if Goku can only display desires for fighting and eating, and yet it's ok for him to have a wife and kid, I don't see the problem with Vegeta deciding to randomly bang some woman he finds mildly hot, in the heat of the moment of training.

As for her reason for fucking him, I think there is a well established precedence for women being attracted to "the bad boy", and if they are as physically ripped as Sayans tend to be, I don't think it takes a degree in biology to explain why she wanted to engulf his garlic gun with her vagina.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
He's the last Sayain prince...and an asshole.

She's the only princess of an insanely rich couple...and an *****.

With those kinds of backgrounds, and personalities, it's not really surprising that they'd bone, at least once.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Samtemdo8 said:
True, but counterpoint: Up to this point, we'd never seen him have any meaningfully amount of screen time around a female character, either.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Kolby Jack said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Fox12 said:

In Dragonball Super Vegeta actually talks a little about it. He mentions how all saiyan women are very strong-willed and tough, so saiyan men find that attractive. Chi-Chi and Bulma are both pretty similar in their attitudes, even if Bulma doesn't know martial arts. Both of them regularly back-talk the GOD OF DESTRUCTION... eventually, once they realize he's not likely to blow up the planet on a whim.

Vegeta and Bulma hooked up during a three year time skip, but they didn't actually seem to become romantically involved until during the seven year time skip before the Buu saga. Even then, it's not until Vegeta realizes how he really feels about his family during the Buu saga that he starts to show affection, and in Super they're basically as a normal a couple as you can get. Super has done a good job of exploring the relationships of the characters instead of being purely about fighting. It had a rough start but the current arc with Future Trunks is outstanding. Four words: FATHER-SON GALICK GUN.
Oh, that Father-Son Galick Gun was so satisfying.

One thing I can say that Super and the Buu Arc both did was show how Vegeta had truly changed. It's in the Buu Saga that we get moments like him training with Trunks. And I'd even suggest that Vegeta had come to see himself as something of a surrogate father to Gohan. When we first see him in the Buu Saga, he comments that Gohan looks less lean, which you may first think is just him being a jerk, but when you think of who he is, can very easily be him voicing a bit of concern (you are a saiyan and therefore a warrior, you should train more). And this seems even more likely as he voices remorse at having allowed Gohan to "die" at the hands of Majin Buu. And, of course there's his sacrifice following that.

In Super, we have seen Vegeta forego his training and go on a family vacation with Bulma and Trunks. Something he obviously wasn't comfortable with, but did it anyway as he had previous promised Trunks as much. When he feared that Beerus may destroy Earth, he threw away his pride to calm the anger of the God. And even surpassed Goku when Beerus slapped his wife.

All of this brings us to the latest arc where Vegeta showed a lot of feelings for his family. Learning the hardships that his future family had suffered at the hands of Black, he became enraged and promised he would never forgive him. He pushed Future Trunks to not simply rely on him and Goku. And when Trunks's life was in danger, he actually jumped in front of an attack to protect him.

The Vegeta we have today is not the same arrogant monster that happily killed his own paralyzed right hand man. He has come to love his family. And that is his new strength. He does train and fight to surpass Goku. But he also does it to protect his loved ones.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
balladbird said:
Samtemdo8 said:
True, but counterpoint: Up to this point, we'd never seen him have any meaningfully amount of screen time around a female character, either.
Hell all he had was Dodoria(I will never stop making TFS refrences)

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
Samtemdo8 said:
Fox12 said:

Vegeta also very clearly has a warped self-image. He might not want to show off any sexual desire or any other sort of normal human (saiyan) feelings.

Drathnoxis said:
I have no idea, I've always hated that pairing. Vegeta is a genocidal maniac, he has never shown the slightest remorse for his many, many massacres (at least not as far as I watched the show). I don't get why everybody just forgives him when he's obviously a murdering sociopath who doesn't care about anyone. It's actually revolting that Bulma willingly has a child with him. In my opinion Vegeta is so far past the moral event horizon that there is nothing he could do to redeem himself, even if he actually showed any remorse.
Well, at first I saw what they were going for. Krillin had the chance to kill Vegeta but doesn't do so on request of Goku. Then Vegeta could learn from Goku not to be a total failure of a person during the freeza saga. This even sort of happened. But then vegeta didn't make any kind of convincing turn. Unlike Tien or Android 16, Vegeta never does anything to redeem himself. And unlike piccolo or android 18 he won't restrain himself from doing blatantly evil things. Thing is, android 16 and Tien actually come to the conclusion that doing evil stuff is wrong and piccolo and 18 at least have people they care about like Gohan and Krillin. Vegeta just does more stupid, evil and dangerous things while being nominally on the good guy side. He helps cell muder android 18 just to show off his fighting prowess, which then turns out to be hopelessly insufficient. Even when Trunks is growing up near him it doesn't prevent him from joining an evil wizard and trying to murder Goku. If from the moment Trunks showed up Vegeta was shown to have some remorse or at least like Piccolo, not shown to do evil shit, I would have a lot more sympathy for Goku not just killing him at about five different points in the story.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Pseudonym said:
Well, at first I saw what they were going for. Krillin had the chance to kill Vegeta but doesn't do so on request of Goku. Then Vegeta could learn from Goku not to be a total failure of a person during the freeza saga. This even sort of happened. But then vegeta didn't make any kind of convincing turn. Unlike Tien or Android 16, Vegeta never does anything to redeem himself. And unlike piccolo or android 18 he won't restrain himself from doing blatantly evil things. Thing is, android 16 and Tien actually come to the conclusion that doing evil stuff is wrong and piccolo and 18 at least have people they care about like Gohan and Krillin. Vegeta just does more stupid, evil and dangerous things while being nominally on the good guy side. He helps cell muder android 18 just to show off his fighting prowess, which then turns out to be hopelessly insufficient. Even when Trunks is growing up near him it doesn't prevent him from joining an evil wizard and trying to murder Goku. If from the moment Trunks showed up Vegeta was shown to have some remorse or at least like Piccolo, not shown to do evil shit, I would have a lot more sympathy for Goku not just killing him at about five different points in the story.
Also unlike Vegeta, none of those characters ever went on mass murdering sprees. Piccolo was the son of King Piccolo and hadn't committed any atrocities yet and, correct me if I'm wrong, the androids in the main timeline hadn't murdered anyone.

Murdering entire civilizations was basically Vegeta's day job and his "redemption" basically consisted of him... not doing that anymore. It's like if Hitler got bored of murdering Jews and decided he wanted to start hanging around the White House from now on, and everyone just let him.

CoCage said:
It boiled down to the writers being idiots and letting a fan fic writer on to the staff. Even as a kid the pairing made no sense to me. If people like the paring, then more power to them,n ut I have seen more plausible and better pairings in other anime shows.
Not really sure what you mean. Dragon Ball Z was based on the Dragon Ball manga which was written by Akira Toriyama alone. His editors did have quite a bit of influence though, I wonder if the pairing could have been their idea.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Drathnoxis said:
Pseudonym said:
Also unlike Vegeta, none of those characters ever went on mass murdering sprees. Piccolo was the son of King Piccolo and hadn't committed any atrocities yet and, correct me if I'm wrong, the androids in the main timeline hadn't murdered anyone.

Murdering entire civilizations was basically Vegeta's day job and his "redemption" basically consisted of him... not doing that anymore. It's like if Hitler got bored of murdering Jews and decided he wanted to start hanging around the White House from now on, and everyone just let him.

CoCage said:
It boiled down to the writers being idiots and letting a fan fic writer on to the staff. Even as a kid the pairing made no sense to me. If people like the paring, then more power to them, but I have seen more plausible and better pairings in other anime shows.
Not really sure what you mean. Dragon Ball Z was based on the Dragon Ball manga which was written by Akira Toriyama alone. His editors did have quite a bit of influence though, I wonder if the pairing could have been their idea.
If that's the case, he still let idiots get involved. The guy's writing ain't perfect either. There's a reason why I despise Hercule (Mr. Satan) and fucking wish that nearly everything that happened in the Buu saga never existed.