DC Comics Rebooting Entire Universe Back to #1

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
The whole alternate history quantum timeline reboot is getting cliched and feels like a tired effort to breath new life into aging franchises. The franchises sould be allowed to sit on their laurels and retire in peace, basking in the glory of times past, rather than suffer this indignity.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
This would of happen at some point well it's happen now since after all there were those golden and silver ages comics. Those characters don't ages with us (like 50 years later would we see a 50+ age superman?) since they just make them younger again.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Limecake said:
I could see this going very badly with the comic community,

However I'm more than a little curious to see all the redesigns and the reaction to the 'reboot'

I do however think the digital download and print versions coming out at the same time is a good move by DC. Giving people without a comic store 9or the socially inept) a chance to read all the latest stories.
I'm a hardcore comic fan, and I like the idea of a reboot. I just hope that there isn't any Crisis on Infinite Earths bullshit in this reboot.

Anywho...I don't think that they've changed too much. Really, the only changes I can see are in Aquaman, Wonder Woman, and Superman.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Grant Morrison is writing the new Superman. Since he wrote All Star Superman, the best superhero comic of the last decade, I'm happy.

Look at my own thread for more info

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.288355-DC-Comics-Reboot-is-coming

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Hmm, interesting, I mean it's good having a fresh start with nothing else getting in the way, but I was really enjoying the current Batman story line, is it just going to suddenly end or what?

Also, I'm not sure how I feel about Thomas Wayne being Batman. I mean Bruce became BATman because he's scared of bats, because his father wore that bizarre bat costume once, and because a bat came crashing through his window. What reason does Thomas have to become Batman?

Mind you so long as he's reasonably similar to Bruce I'll be okay with it and I might just start collecting comics again if this is the case, I can collect the one Batman series and follow the story cleanly without having the mad string and paper diagrams on my wall like I do now so I can gather all the various bits. Trust me, collecting the Death and Rebirth of Batman storyline is NOT fun. It's a great read, but getting hold of it is expensive and a massive pain in the arse.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
And in 5 years time, if that, it'll be just as much of a continuity snarl up as it is now.
Then they'll have another Crisis.

Anyway, the problem isn't continuity, the problem is writers who don't know how to handle the continuity. I remember picking up some issues of X-Men in the early 90s after a 10 year break only to discover that Chris Claremont was so enraptured of advancing each of his zillion storylines by one page an issue that it was literally impossible to work out what was going on.

Just because a series has 20 or 30 or more years of continuity doesn't mean it all has to be referenced every single bloody issue. That's what writers forget, and that's why so much of their stuff is so impenetrable to the casual reader.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Hasn't DC already done this sort of thing before? Only to back out of it eventually?

Kingsnake661

Dec 29, 2010
Crisis on infinite earths take 2? Honestly, when they did there first landmark company wide reboot back in.. 86? was it? anyways, back when they did that, and started the stories fresh and new, with updated origians and most of the slate wiped clean, I really got into comics back then... it was a jumping on point.

read comics pretty regualarly for 20 some odd years now, or longer. Longer i guess, i started no too long after the reboot.. bah, i gets hazy when you consider it's been almost 25 years. LOL But, i've lost touch with modern comics. They started pulling some crap that I really didn't like a few years back, long list of things, but the highlights being basically the returning of the old guard to replace the new guys *I* grew up with. (Kayle Ryner, Wally West, Impulse, Batgirl got turned evil or something, young justice got reconned into a crappy teen titans, legion of superheros... eh, don't even get me started) then the muiltverse came back... Infinite crisis, 52 something other other, batmans running a bording school...whatever, i left.

About the only way i'd consider reentering the comicbook landscape was if they did something... kind of like this. Reboot, restart, and try again. Sooo.. we'll see. I'm not overly optimistic to be honest. Comics have been CRAP for years now... but a little guarded optimisium is what i'm feeling when i heard this news.

Riku'sTwilight

Dec 21, 2009
Thing is, that with DC their costumes can't be changed drastically without loads of people kicking up a storm. So hence why all their heroes up there look similar still.

Marvel on the other hand can change costumes a fair bit, that's why Spiderman's original costume has gone through several re-models.

Should be a good idea for them to do though, although they do risk annoying the current fan-base by going "let's forget about all these current storyline's we're doing. REBOOT TIME"

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
MB202 said:
Hasn't DC already done this sort of thing before? Only to back out of it eventually?
Constantly, it's kind of their thing.

Anyway, they really seem dead set in giving pants to Wonder Woman lately, don't they?

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Oh, THANK GOD for this. Trying to retcon all of the insane crap the DC universe has done since the silver age has caused a LOT of really stupid plotlines to develop. I tried to pick up a few DC comics at one point but couldn't get into it because of how convoluted everything had gotten. Maybe now with "#1" I can get into it. Hopefully this will mark a drastic improvement in the collective stories' consistency, creativity, and plots. Anyone who doesn't think this is the right way to go is either WAY too attached to their comics or just a really, REALLY cynical person.

marscentral

Where's the Kaboom?
Dec 26, 2009
Superman looks a little to young, Batman looks about ten years older than him. Otherwise, I'm okay with this and I've been reading comics for about twenty years. It was a bit of a surprise given how much effort DC has put into sorting it's continuity in the last ten years.

kypsilon

May 16, 2010
Oh not again. It never fails, they can't keep their writers on the same page and they can't design costumes worth a damn that people who actually read comics will accept so they reboot the entire universe to start from scratch and sneak in a few cosmetic changes that they hope no one will notice.

Marvel did the same thing with their heroes reborn thing and Marvel is arguably in a bigger mess now than it ever was.

...and I don't like that Wonder Woman. Wasn't that the failed revamped costume that they had an entire alternate reality crossover to get rid of? Honestly, she's a Greek/Amazonian archetype, how hard can it be to make a costume that reflects that? And everyone seems to be sporting the new hip open-turtleneck collar thing that was all the rage in Star Trek: TNG.

That is an awkwardly laid out Green Lantern mini-gun too, I'll admit. Ride 'em cowboy.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Sixcess said:
Just because a series has 20 or 30 or more years of continuity doesn't mean it all has to be referenced every single bloody issue. That's what writers forget, and that's why so much of their stuff is so impenetrable to the casual reader.
This.

You want an example of long time continuanity done right? Doctor Who. We know that there's 50 years of continuanity but it's not referenced every fucking episode. It's just there every now and then as a little reference point to long time fans and stuff. Comic books and DC inparticular can't get there head around this. Don't get rid of nearly 70 years of continuanity (30 taking into account crisis), ignore it! Put aside from nods and winks, don't make big events revolve around things that happened before many of your readers were born.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Why is Cyborg on the team? He's part of the Teen Titans, or at least that's where he starts. Or will there be no Teen Titans, and each one of the members is already doing something else? If that's the case, then I have no interest in this. Teen Titans is the only DC comic series that I read. This also raises an interesting point for Nightwing. Is he going to be reset all the way back to Robin, or will he stay as Nightwing? If he does go back to Robin, will he ever become Nightwing? So many questions.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
ah yes, this will make the comics more interesting for newcomers but after a while the bitching from older fans will get incredibly loud and more of those will become writers for DC and BOOM the multiverse returns.