DC Comics Targets Girls With New Superhero Universe And Toy Line

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
DC Comics Targets Girls With New Superhero Universe And Toy Line

DC Comics and Mattel have unveiled a new superhero universe and toy line marketed entirely towards young girls.

If you've followed superhero comics and toys for the past few forevers, you've likely noticed a weird trend - <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130556-Paul-Dini-Superhero-Cartoon-Execs-Dont-Want-Female-Viewers>they're almost entirely geared towards young boys. Even though <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135451-The-Powerpuff-Girls-Returns-in-2016-as-a-Reboot>girls enjoy these stories and action figures as much as boys, it's staggeringly rare to see them marketed as such - although that might finally be changing. For proof, look no further than "DC Super Hero Girls" - a standalone DC Universe built entirely around female superheroes and villains.

"DC Entertainment is home to the most iconic and well-known Super Heroes including Wonder Woman, Supergirl and Batgirl," said Diane Nelson, President of DC Entertainment. "DC Super Hero Girls represents the embodiment of our long-term strategy to harness the power of our diverse female characters. I am so pleased that we are able to offer relatable and strong role models in a unique way, just for girls."

Aimed at girls aged 6-12, DC Super Hero Girls explores the formative years of Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Batgirl, Harley Quinn, Bumble Bee, Poison Ivy, and Katana - among others. Each character will have their own storyline which will unfold across TV specials, films, books, and original digital content.

And almost in response <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130556-Paul-Dini-Superhero-Cartoon-Execs-Dont-Want-Female-Viewers>to anti-girl criticisms of recent years, DC Super Hero Girls places a strong emphasis on toys. DC Comics has partnered with Mattel to launch a 2016 toy line, complete with action figures that emphasize strength and heroism. The LEGO group will contribute building sets "designed to inspire girls' imaginations", while other partners will contribute across various merchandise lines.

"Partnering with the best and being the best partner is of paramount importance," Richard Dickson, President and COO of Mattel, explained. "Together with Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment, the DC Super Hero Girls franchise will further expand our already powerful girls portfolio. We know Super Hero is a culturally relevant theme and the DC Super Hero Girls franchise will engage and inspire girls, providing cues to explore heroic acts through play and into real life."

While this line isn't aimed at me in particular, I still have to admit - it looks really cool. I suspect there are many female superhero fans out there - or comic book readers with young daughters - who are really excited to see what DC Super Hero Girls offers. We'll find out when DC kicks off a digital publishing line in Fall 2015, followed by graphic novels and toys the following year.

Source: <a href=http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2015/04/22/wb-and-dc-entertainment-in-partnership-with-mattel-launch-dc-super-hero-girls>DC Comics

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
"Let's cancel Young Justice because too many girls are watching it and not buying our toys!"

*gets fired*

"Let's do as how that girls will watch and give them some toys!"

Amazing how badly the last tenure screwed things up.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
The question I have is; will they then have typically attractive men in skimpy outfits for assumed eye candy? Or do females just get female superheroes to remind them just how female they are? HashtagJustsaying y'all!

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Soooo they got rid of Young Justice cuz to many girls watch it yet they make this so girls will enjoy it?

Can I have Young Justice Season 3 instead please?

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Xsjadoblayde said:
The question I have is; will they then have typically attractive men in skimpy outfits for assumed eye candy? Or do females just get female superheroes to remind them just how female they are? HashtagJustsaying y'all!
You mean like pinnacle male specimens in skin tight spandex? Or are we going full Martian Manhunter and just wearing briefs with an x across the chest

edit: I am so sure there's an actually funny manhunter joke in there somewhere but I just can't make it work.

OT: I'm kinda in favour of the idea? If they were implying women don't read comics I'd be annoyed but I can get they want to appeal to a younger market who might not be as into it. Plus Harley Quinn is... yeah. Really, really not a good role model but IS a really good character so hopefully they gloss over a LOT.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Am I the only one disturbed by the fact that when they decided to gear female super heroes to girls the first step seems to be to make them all look like Barbie Cosplays?

Odin442

May 13, 2009
So... someone at DC actually thought that the best way to overcome the stigma of being seen as a sexist corporation in a sexist industry was to create a separate, but presumably equal, universe specifically for girls? May I assume they're also working on gender-specific lunch counters, schools, and water fountains, too?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Veldie said:
Soooo they got rid of Young Justice cuz to many girls watch it yet they make this so girls will enjoy it?

Can I have Young Justice Season 3 instead please?
I myself have been noticing it's aimed for a 6 to 12 year old age demographic and yet there are not one but two homicidal maniacs in that roster, both of whom are known sexual predators, combined with another heroine who has a soul sucking sword. Given the stated intention of getting into the background and formative years of these characters I have to wonder if this means they are going to totally destroy the background that makes Harley and Ivy who they are respectively, and has made them popular, or if they are going to be unleashing nightmare fuel on young children. Especially seeing as the "official" version is now New 52 which merged with the Vertigo imprint. Even pre-New 52 Harley had a nasty background as she was an arrogant piece of work as a psychiatrist who was psychologically manipulated and tortured into a maniac... a seriel killer she was in love with. To me that's not Children's entertainment, I suppose a 12 year old might be able to cope to some extent, but do you really want to start introducing concepts like this at the age of six? The animated series where Harley was created was originally intended as a prime time show for adults which is how things like this got into it, albeit as it jumped into a full kid's show they downplayed it for a reason.

Nazrel

May 16, 2008
Well a toy line is long over do... not so sure about the whole segregated universe thing though.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
MonsterCrit said:
Am I the only one disturbed by the fact that when they decided to gear female super heroes to girls the first step seems to be to make them all look like Barbie Cosplays?
Well frozen is the most popular thing that targets girls right now so it makes sense to copy that aesthetic.

OT: It's not too bad by the looks of it but we'll find out when it happens. Hopefully episodes aren't some kind of frequent discussion here.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Yeah... Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy are just perfect role models. Might I suggest Star Sapphire, the ultimate spiteful ex-girlfriend to be added to the list? I realise that they tried to humanise both Harley and Ivy over the past decade, but both of them have serious issues and character flaws that really disqualify them from being "heroes".

Seriously though, all optimism I had for this project deflated like a balloon animal after a week when I looked at the website.

"A New Super Hero Universe Designed Just For Girls, Slated For Fall 2015"

Eh. More gender segregation crap. They haven't learned one bit from Young Justice. Watch this getting a male audience and getting scrapped because it didn't have the desired results. I call it right now.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I think Catwoman might have been a better choice than Poison Ivy and/or Harley. Catwoman can at least play a good guy from time to time. It looks cute though, but I wonder if it will work? The damage has been done for a lot of girl fans already, and just reading the comments here, I'm pretty sure the backlash that is coming is going to drown this idea.

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
My almost five daughter just walked past me while reading this. She pointed at the screen and said "Daddy, I like her (Supergirl) and her (Bumblebee)."

I guess their attempt is somewhat successful.

circularlogic88

Knower of Nothing
Oct 9, 2010
MonsterCrit said:
I thought the same thing. They're like a hybrid of Barbie meets Disney princesses.

Sniper Team 4 said:
I think Catwoman might have been a better choice than Poison Ivy and/or Harley. Catwoman can at least play a good guy from time to time. It looks cute though, but I wonder if it will work? The damage has been done for a lot of girl fans already, and just reading the comments here, I'm pretty sure the backlash that is coming is going to drown this idea.
Unless they're afraid people are still associating her with the Frank Miller Catwoman where she was a prostitute for some reason.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
MonsterCrit said:
Thankyou, good to know I'm not the only one.

DC, good job for actually taking positive steps and I understand that you're aiming for the very young girls here who still play with dolls, but I think the main complaint coming from most people wasn't that your female characters were under represented (granted that was a close second) but that those present were rather limited. They're all pretty and these new designs give them all a very similar body type, male toys tend to have at least some variety in their stature. You have characters who are sickeningly thin or grotesque bulks, with deformities and mutations... these designs look like a youth group that goes around schools telling kids to stay away from crime.

What I'm trying to say is... wheres the giant lasers and spiked tails at?!

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
PunkRex said:
MonsterCrit said:
Thankyou, good to know I'm not the only one.

DC, good job for actually taking positive steps and I understand that you're aiming for the very young girls here who still play with dolls, but I think the main complaint coming from most people wasn't that your female characters were under represented (granted that was a close second) but that those present were rather limited. They're all pretty and these new designs give them all a very similar body type, male toys tend to have at least some variety in their stature. You have characters who are sickeningly thin or grotesque bulks, with deformities and mutations... these designs look like a youth group that goes around schools telling kids to stay away from crime.

What I'm trying to say is... wheres the giant lasers and spiked tails at?!
What I'm trying to say is... Where's my Amanda Wahler action figure?!

And I mean Pre-New-52 Amanda Wahler.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I'd say it's about time... but I'm still a little iffy considering how they've treated the notion in the past... Also, Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn? Really? I don't remember those two being "god guys". I'm not too wild about thse designs either, but hey, at least they're finally doing something for younger female fans, I guess...

Banjo-Kazooie Blue

Sep 24, 2014
Marshal Lemon the author of this article has made it clear to anyone that has read this article that he is someone willing to tell obvious lies in order to cowardly avoid even potentially offending someone. While there are fangirls to say that these stories appeal equally to the male and female demographics is beyond moronic. You never see action movies having to bend over backwards to make it look like they're targeting the female demographic. It's okay for Movies, novels, and TV shows to target specific demographics but Comic book and video games aren't allowed to. We shouldn't take that lying down. we should help these so called advocacy groups push us around for imagined crimes we all know damn well we didn't commit. It's obvious and self evident certain subject matter appeals more to certain audience more than it does others. We don't demand every YA novel, TV or movie drama and sitcom to appeal to us we should be able to expect equal treatment in return.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Yup, let's add a chronic Stockholm Syndrome psychopath and a plant loving nymphomaniac as good roles for young girls!

Can we get Young Justice back, please?