DC Reboot Sells Like Super-Powered Hotcakes

vortexgods

Apr 24, 2008
Trishbot said:
See, I'm scared to start buying comics for two reason:
1) They'll just reboot it again in a few years

or

2) they'll undo the reboot after the #1 buyers move on and the hardcore fans that've always been with them complain loud enough.

Either way, DC is notorious for rebooting over and over, and it gets REALLY hard to invest myself in a comic or a character knowing they'll be erased completely and restarted from scratch in a decade or so.
On the plus side, they have a good reason to reboot Starfire now!

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Kalezian said:
ChildofGallifrey said:
I side with MovieBob on this one: The impressive sales figures are not so much the result of a bold new direction, but moreso because they're advertising the shit out of it. They're selling better because they're getting a lot of press outside of the usual places and reaching new people.

That being said, has anyone here read any of the new stuff? How is it?

let me pull up a comic real quick:

It's selling good, but that doesn't mean us readers who grew up with the old super heroes like seeing them get screwed up and written like they were entirely different people.
Honestly, a more interesting approach would be to let Starfire keep her reboot body and appearance, but give a personality far closer to her cartoon "Teen Titans" albeit with a slightly more "matured" personality to go along with it.

Boxer.H1x

Jun 17, 2011
mr.mystery said:
I love the reboot. I never even TRIED to get into DC until it happened.
This. I just got Batman #1 online, and I'm probably going to get #2 soon. I was a huge fan of the Dark Knight and Arkham Asylum, so I just figured that the new comic reboot is a good way to get started on the source material. (Well, if you can call the new continuity "source material.")

Maybe I'll look into Detective Comics, or Justice League as well...

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
it sold well because only 52 comics came out that month as opposed to the old amount which was probably 4 times bigger. so no shit they sold, we didn't have anything else to read!

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
Eh, one of the biggest things in comics is:
Collecting a series starting with issue #1.

Especially with continuing plotlines that make no sense if you jump in somewhere in the middle, rebooting iconic characters will usually sell more copies.

I did not expect quite so many copies sold, though.

theheroofaction

Jan 20, 2011
Wow, great for them, they would probably get even better sales if you didn't have to walk down 56th street until you see a dark alley with an equally dark man in it, follow this man down the alley, do the secret handshake, order in sign language and pay entirely in nickels.

That's a total exaggeration of course, but I can't find a place that sells these things.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
well i never read the originals as it never made it to my country, now ill have a chance. so yay for reboot.

mogamer

Jan 26, 2010
Sure they're doing great sales now. But reboots are supposed to be for the long-term. Let's see how sales are in a year or two before judging how successful this is.

JohnDoey

Jun 30, 2009
ChildofGallifrey said:
I side with MovieBob on this one: The impressive sales figures are not so much the result of a bold new direction, but moreso because they're advertising the shit out of it. They're selling better because they're getting a lot of press outside of the usual places and reaching new people.

That being said, has anyone here read any of the new stuff? How is it?
Most of it's been fairly good except for Hawk and Dove and Outlaws and the green lanterns books which are crappy.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
Korten12 said:
Paragon Fury said:
I'm still trying to find whatever issue that supposed "new" Starfire is in. I'd like to....."investigate".....certain "claims".
I also heard about that not even beind a comic-fan. (did like the show Teen Titans so I was interested) and then I found out the reboot of starfire made her a slut.
Actually, Starfire was always sexualized, and a very sexual person. She comes from a planet without a nudity taboo. The Teen Titans cartoon actually showed her out of character, specifically because it was a kids show. Sort of like how Batman: The Brave and the Bold doesn't show Batman mutilating people.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
Seeing as how I work in a comic store, I'll spoil it for you: the #2 issues aren't selling nearly as well, and the numbers will probably go back down to normal. The only maintainable difference are titles like Animal-Man and Swamp-Thing being badass so they'll get sales where they weren't earlier.

Oh and the writer for Superman was fired, but they're printing his work (#1-6) anyway, so that one's gonna be fun to try and sell now =/

azzxl said:
Most of it's been fairly good except for Hawk and Dove and Outlaws and the green lanterns books which are crappy.
Outlaws is retardedly fun (and will sell more thanks to the controversy of people not knowing Starfire), and all the Green Lantern books are selling like crazy. Personally I only really liked Corps since Green Lantern was cheesy and New Guardians didn't get anywhere, but they definitely weren't crappy. No one's reading Hawk and Dove or Batwing, and you need to know OMAC's previous appearances to enjoy it apparently.