DC Says One Of Its"Iconic" Heroes Is Gay

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
For me, Batman was always, well, not heterosexual or homosexual as such.

I always figured he had a sort of unhealthy relationship to sex...
He definitely isn't cabable of normal relationships.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Oh fer f*cks sake... "Hurrr, durr, let's milk this cow even more and use some backward writing. Money, money, money..." :|

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I don't know who it is, but now I have to think up a bunch of really stupid gay puns for each superhero. Anyone mind giving me a hand with this?
OT: It's probably the Flash. Or Robin.

Nyaliva

euclideanInsomniac
Sep 9, 2010
Aquaman. Gotta be Aquaman.

Seriously though, I wouldn't be completely surprised if it was Superman. The guy's got a girl swooning over him which he never acts on, he spends his time fighting gangs of thugs (are there any female bad guys in Superman?) and they can work it in, saying it's not an issue on Krypton and the ratio of homo- to heterosexuals was much closer to 1:1 than on Earth.

I don't think it's Batman, he's supposed to be a Billionare Playboy and he's seen with a different woman in every movie. But Superman has the same one each time and nothing ever happens. Eh? Think about it guys.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Waaghpowa said:
I bet Batman. Him and Robin, Come on guys!
Let's face it, it's not going to be Batman. But I want it to be so badly...

*continues harboring secret hope*

zombiesinc

One day, we'll wake the zombies
Mar 29, 2010
Sure, it seems like DC are simply trying to keep up with society (especially since Obama's announcement) but hey, it's still something. I think what really matters is how/if that affects the character himself, if people react different towards him, any character development directly related to his sexuality, etc. If they play that out well, and realistically, I think no matter the initial reason for making this decision, it'll be some great progress.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
Thespian said:
Winnosh said:
Oh so you mean the robin from the old TV show aka not any of the comic book characters who have had the title robin.
Beg to differ.

And that's just Jason Todd. Someone's forgetting the Silver Age...
Not talking about the speedo thing, I'm talking about the holy thing practically every super hero ever has a speedo as part of t heir costume.

Dr Jones

Join the Bob Dylan Fangroup!
Jun 23, 2010
Jack and Calumon said:
I don't think it's either. Batman has had Talia Al Ghul and Superman has Lois, but even with that out of the picture, DC wouldn't DARE making either of em gay. The backlash would be immense.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
This guy's take on it makes me think Green Lantern. If it doesn't go well, just kill him off and give someone else the ring.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/gay-batman_645764.html

Personally, I used to love comic books, but they have a number of problems at this time, and I don't see how you fix them. I stay away from the monthly comics, but will buy a graphic novel on occasion: something that is complete.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Atom. Because they haven't introduced him yet (as in Ryan Choi) and he's the only 'iconic' hero left save Plastic Man.

Only other prediction is it isn't going to be freakin' Aquaman. He's got a smoking hot red-head wife who is currently mad at him for sneaking off with an old girlfriend. Of the new 52 he's the only hero besides Flash (seriously guys, your two main competitors for being gay are in active relationships with women, maybe widen the field) who's shown any sign of romance. Part of me wants it to be Batman, but as one of the writers said "Bruce's orientation is Gotham" so doubtful.

Though going off a post above
bahumat42 said:
yeah but they also have she hulk (bi) and karolina from the runaways as a decently characterized lesbian character.
Anyone noticed how there are quite a few good lesbian characters in comics? Batwoman's pretty mainstream in the DCU now, though I dunno what's up with Renee Montoya, the New Question, she still around post reboot?. Same with the Marvel examples, Karolina from Runaways is really well written and her boy/girlfriend Xavin is a fairly good look at transgender issues imo.

Khanht Cope

Jul 22, 2011
Batman is waaaaaaay too high-risk for this. It'll mostly likely be one where those in charge might expect the readerbase to shrug and accept it with the least resistance.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I'd say good for them, though I smell marketing scheme. As for who I think it is... eh, I'm just gonna wait and see...

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I wonder... has the Martian Manhunter ever been to Uranus?

Anywho... if I was even remotely into DC comics(Batman aside), I would be in a bit of a nerdrage right now. Not so much because there's going to be a gay superhero, but because there is going to be a gay superhero as a result of an obvious publicity stunt. If it weren't, we wouldn't be hearing about this until the comic actually came out.

Simonoly

Oct 17, 2011
"Maybe the high profile nature of the character will make it so that instead of being "that gay superhero," he'll be "that awesome superhero who fights crime, and oh yeah he happens to like dudes." I would love for that to be the case"

Me too. But I do hope there's the odd snigger from other DC universe characters when a beautiful female throws herself at the newly outed Superhero. Oh and maybe the odd bum joke every now and again.

I'm thinking it will be either Hawkman or Aquaman. I wonder if it will be entitled as a special "coming out edition".