DC Universe Online Flying to Stores in November

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
DC Universe Online Flying to Stores in November

It's time to get the spandex and the capes ready: DC Universe Online is coming out in November.

Up until now, Sony Online Entertainment has been providing regular updates about [http://www.amazon.com/DC-Universe-Online-PlayStation-3/dp/B002I0K898/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276202431&sr=1-1], though the publisher has been rather tight-lipped about when the game was actually going to be released. This has changed, however, and the release is closer than many people expected: November, 2010.

Sony announced the release date during an event where the game's E3 demo was on display, which featured a trip to Harley Quinn's lair to rescue Robin. IGN was on hand for the demo and the announcement, and came away with some great impressions, stating that the game seems even more robust and fun than it has in the past.

I got to spend some time with DC Universe Online at E3 last year and came away surprisingly pleased with how the game was coming along. The combat was an especially nice surprise, since it was fast-paced and worked extremely well with the PS3's controller.

A UI engineer for the game who chatted with me during my playtime told me that the development team was determined to make a great game from the beginning because, "Warner Bros. and DC Comics sat us down at the beginning and told us, in no uncertain terms, 'don't screw this up.'"

Source: <a href=http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/109/1093790p1.html>IGN

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
I hope they don't. Green Lantern is something I've always wanted to play as. I hope he's in this, although I'll probably get it even if he isn't.

Ca9ine

Jul 29, 2009
So, will the be a pay-to-play experience?
I'm a Batman g33k to the fullest, but NOTHING is worth paying monthly fees to experience gaming. Not even Batman.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
wicced466 said:
no xbox? *sigh*
why do my chances to play as green arrow always get ruined
It's a big console/PC MMO developed by Sony. If they can move some extra PS3s by making it exclusive to that system, they'll do it in a heartbeat.

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
It was *kind* of an interesting in July;2008, now it looks horrible and the trailers show a game I wouldn't play for free, much less pay for it.

shirin238

Aug 19, 2008
vansau said:
A UI engineer for the game who chatted with me during my playtime told me that the development team was determined to make a great game from the beginning because, "Warner Bros. and DC Comics sat us down at the beginning and told us, in no uncertain terms, 'don't screw this up.'"
When nerds tell you to not screw something up, you had better listen.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Finally! I can ogle Power Girl in full 3D--Err, I mean... Yeah; that's exactly what I mean. :D

Seriously though, I can't wait for it. It will be nice to play a superhero MMOG where I don't have to down-res everything just to make it run smoothly.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Billion Backs said:
Another superhero MMO...

I think City of Heroes/Villains did a good enough job, no?
And Champions Online bounced off after the initial subscriber count. Plus they added quite a lot of content.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Ca9ine said:
I'm a Batman g33k to the fullest, but NOTHING is worth paying monthly fees to experience gaming. Not even Batman.
...You don't play as the Bat...you work with him though.

Ca9ine

Jul 29, 2009
Dr. wonderful said:
Ca9ine said:
...You don't play as the Bat...you work with him though.
I know this.
Let me put it another way, I won't pay a sub to play a game to play alongside Mr. Wayne :)

So, the question remains: is this a game I need to subscribe to be able to play?

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
Anyone else think these isn't such a good idea? Champions and city of heroes/villains was nice, but the iconic DC world gives me second thoughts. The heroes from DC are popular, but a lot of that comes from being unique, and being "your own" hero makes the characters seem like copies of the original. Course playing a Batman-like character is cool, but you won't be playing the Batman.

Feb 13, 2008
Actually, I'm quite looking forward to this. I've always thought that DC was the poor cousin of Marvel, but with all of Marvel's Epic Fails atm., and DC grabbing a lot of the glory: I'm starting to change my allegiance.

That and Zatanna, of course.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Me and a couple of friends at work have promised to give this a go when tis released. Should be fun...or atl east we hope

Tahmoh

Sep 1, 2008
i hope the game comes with controller support for pc coz sony's control systems atend to suck abit imo.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Something ive been excited about for a while now, A decent game where you get to play as the man of steel? Can't wait!

Thurston

Nov 1, 2007
Will look. May demo.

But, I've been in Paragon City (City of Heroes) for over five years, and I don't see that changing in the near future.