DC Universe Online Promises to Make You a Legend

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
DC Universe Online Promises to Make You a Legend

The E3 '10 trailer for DC Universe Online [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=77613] asks one simple question: Will you ally with Batman, or with the Joker?

Last year's Champions Online had some cool ideas, but the upcoming DC Universe Online has one key advantage: It stars some of the most iconic superheroes and supervillains of all time. Oh sure, you might not get to be playing as Batman, Superman, or Wonder Woman, but fighting alongside them is the next best thing, right?

The E3 2010 trailer for the game that you see above does a very good job at selling that as a big factor of the game. It poses the question: What will you do with your new powers? Will you use them for good, or for evil?

It looks pretty nifty.

For more on DC Universe Online, check out our E3 2010 preview [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101467-E3-2010-DC-Universe-Online].

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
I think I'll finally take an interest in this sub-genre when it's finally /my/ diabolical master-plan that's being put into action, not just mine in name only, or someone else's with me as a glorified mook >.>

So once again.. I fear this does not excite me all too horribly. Ah well; still looks vaguely cool, at least.

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
Still looks pretty bad to me. I just can't imagine it as a serious title rather than a small moneyspinner on the absolute fringe of the company's priorities, and that trailer really doesn't help. Might be nice to be proven wrong though.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Its coming together ut...the problem with MMos...is, if it flops, then, its going to be a hige waste of money. I would like it to work, but im dubious

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Well, at least THEY did the Superspeed powerset right, with wallclimbing and ceiling-running.

Also the ability to play as something besides another boring superhero. Champions Online is okay, but I hope DCUO will be even better.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Is it just me, or is that Joker the worst ever?
Anyway, I'll probably give the trial a shot. If I can get super fast flying skills really quick, I'm set.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
It?s good to see them let you play a super-villain. But learning this kind of makes me with the game was based more on the Tick universe. Joker is cool and all but I?d rather ally myself with the Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs At Midnight. When he says ?Tell me I?m wrong!? I would be the voice that says ?I can?t baby ?cause you?re not!?

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Gah I want this to be good I really do but there's so much that could wrong

Unbalancing
Small world
Bad combat
Bad moral choice
Lack of things to destroy
Lack of things to repair from the lack of things to destroy

That's just the one I can list off the top of my head. Ah well if it's crap they will feel the full blow of the market and hopefully consumer quality control

knhirt

Nov 9, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
Anyway, I'll probably give the trial a shot. If I can get super fast flying skills really quick, I'm set.
Agreed, it's possibly the ugliest Joker I've seen yet.
I hope they change his face.

I'm not terribly interested in this game.

Cyrax987

Aug 3, 2009
This actually looks really cool, Champions Online was a pretty fun game but the campy weird enemies and quests kinda got old to me. I like this whole new feel and how this looks, if it is actually like this with the choosing sides and with quests then count me in.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I never payed any attention to this game. Now I don't know why I didn't, I'll be keeping a close eye on it. Working together with the Joker, or more specifically Harley...oh yes, oh very much yes.
hazabaza1 said:
That'd be Jack's. His Joker was just a stupid clown with a posse. This on looks dumb, but at least clearly evil. Ugly but evil.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Whoever designed the facial features on most of the characters needs to back the fuck away from the drawing board.

And no, still not interested in this, despite being a big comic book nerd.

Geamo

Aug 27, 2008
My problem with this game is that yes, the trailer looks full of awesome stuff; Fighting side-by-side with Superman, helping him take out Lex Luthor. However, the reality I can bet is going to be nothing like that.

I dunno, I really wish it could work but pretty convinced it won't.

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
I'd love this game to work out well but I have a feeling it will flop >.<, no matter I'm always willing to give it a try

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
I'd love that if the joker didn't look like a tard.

Aside from that, it looks quite fun!