DC's Batman vs Superman Delayed Until 2016

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
DC's Batman vs Superman Delayed Until 2016

Warner Bros. Pictures has pushed back the release of the Man of Steel sequel to May 6, 2016, amid rumors of Ben Affleck being injured.

Batman vs Superman, the unofficial title for the upcoming sequel to Man of Steel, has been pushed back to May 6, 2016. Warner Bros. Pictures states in a press release that the reason for the delay is to "[allow] the filmmakers time to realize fully their vision, given the complex visual nature of the story." The change will put the film directly in competition with an untitled Marvel film slated for the same release date. Batman vs Superman was originally slated for release on July 17, 2015. It isn't yet known whether the delay will impact plans for Flash and Justice League films [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/superman-batman-film-set-comic-589521] in 2016 and 2017. Man of Steel is expected to act as a prelude for those upcoming DC films.

Henry Cavill will reprise his role as Superman in the film, joined by Zack Snyder [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129044-Ben-Affleck-Was-Reluctant-to-Take-Batman-Role] has commented on the relationship between the two heroes, saying, ""It's beyond mythological to have Superman and our new Batman facing off, since they are the greatest Super Heroes in the world."

The delay may be tied to rumors that Affleck suffered an injury during a skiing accident over the holidays. Batman News [http://batman-news.com/2014/01/17/rumor-ben-affleck-injures-leg-batman-vs-superman-production-delayed/] reports that sources say Affleck injured his ribs and that production on Batman vs Superman would be pushed back six weeks. The press release from DC states that the decision to change the release date "was made following the shift of the start of production to second quarter of this year." Whether or not Affleck did bust up his ribs, fans of the Caped Crusader and the Man of Steel will have to wait another year to see them back on the big screen.

Source: Total FIlm [http://m.totalfilm.com/news/batman-vs-superman-delayed-until-2016]

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I don't see why Flash should be pushed back...Iron Man and Incredible Hulk released on the same year after all. Then again, this is Warner Bros we're talking about; the fact that a non-Batman movie is planned is kind of beyond belief, especially considering it's someone as jovial as The Freaking Flash (hoping Captian Boomerang is in that by the way).

Anyway, hopefully they're going to use the extra time to tweak the script...put in some extra work on the COSTUMES...and possibly we-work the title to something like Trinity.

captcha = I'm Cold Brr...which confirms Captain Cold for the Flash Movie

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
the complex visual nature of the story
How complex does it need to be? Superman will punch things and Batman will throw batarangs at things. I guess what they really meant was 'We need time to shove CGI in as many places as possible'.

And what is it with famous people getting in to skiing accidents recently?

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Warner Bros. Pictures states in a press release that the reason for the delay is to "[allow] the filmmakers time to realize fully their vision
Translation: Given the fact we're including Wonder Woman in this movie (and the massive rumors swirling around about other DC Comic heroes and villains that might be popping up in this movie), we're either gonna rename this film World's Finest, Trinity, or just go "Fuck it" and make this into an actual Justice League movie.

All snark aside, this film is not exactly on stable ground to begin with. There is no solid evidence as to where this project is going or even a bit of information proving that this is a thought-out plan to beat Marvel Studios at their own game. This delay, to me at least, is another example of DC Comics and Warner Brothers having little to no idea of what they're doing with this movie. All I know is that the cinematic gap between DC and Marvel is getting wider every day.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
honestly I was never hugely excited for this movie, and I'm one of those who liked Man of Steel, but even so this is disappointing, delays, especially long ones like this are never a good sign, I want this movie to be good, I want Marvel to have something to worry about when it comes to competitors, and I still hope that's going to happen, competition is healthy and all that, but this whole concept feels like a rushed answer to the avengers anyway, and I think it's going to feel rushed no matter how long they take with it, would it really be a bad thing to in the meantime give Wonder Woman a movie? hell, I still say it's too soon for a new Batman, but something to establish this batman in this universe would be good before they just cram them all into a movie

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
honestly I was never hugely excited for this movie, and I'm one of those who liked Man of Steel, but even so this is disappointing, delays, especially long ones like this are never a good sign, I want this movie to be good, I want Marvel to have something to worry about when it comes to competitors, and I still hope that's going to happen, competition is healthy and all that, but this whole concept feels like a rushed answer to the avengers anyway, and I think it's going to feel rushed no matter how long they take with it, would it really be a bad thing to in the meantime give Wonder Woman a movie? hell, I still say it's too soon for a new Batman, but something to establish this batman in this universe would be good before they just cram them all into a movie

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Good. In fact, why stop at 2016? They should delay it further. How about 2018? Or 2020? Or the year 3000? Or why don't they just stop, build a rocket, strap all the work they've done so far onto said rocket and fire it into the fucking sun!!! Please?

Apr 17, 2009
Warner Bros. Pictures states in a press release that the reason for the delay is to "[allow] the filmmakers time to realize fully their vision, given the complex visual nature of the story."
Translation: We were reading wikipedia and discovered a whole bunch of other superheroes DC owns that we want to stick into the film.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Maybe the delay has more to do with them destroying two major franchises with bad decisions. Not sure how I felt when Bob started in on how a lighter Batman ala Ben Affleck would be a welcome departure since the Man of Steel was pretty grimdark and that's the direction things have been blowing. Making this wretched combination work won't be easy.

CriticalMiss said:
the complex visual nature of the story
How complex does it need to be? Superman will punch things and Batman will throw batarangs at things. I guess what they really meant was 'We need time to shove CGI in as many places as possible'.

And what is it with famous people getting in to skiing accidents recently?
Recently? Two names come to mind; Natasha Richardson, Sonny Bono. The slopes eat people all the time.

vid87

May 17, 2010
Doctor - "Looks like some bruised ribs, Ben. You need to stay off your feet for a bit."

Ben - "You don't understand - I have to go be Batman!"

Doctor - "I know, but you're hurt."

Ben - "But I'm Batman. Bat. Man."

Doctor - "I really don't think that's a goo--"

Ben - "I AM THE NIGHT!"

Doctor - "Nurse get the morphine."

Whytewulf

Dec 20, 2009
Wow, people really don't like DC? I kept reading how people thought they were rushing this out, now that DC may have realized that, everyone is jumping down their collective throats. I personally want this to be successfully, I am all for many many awesome movies being made. It doesn't have to be one vs. the other. I suspect it probably has come from growing the movie and a few added characters and spin offs. DC may be doing it a little different than Marvel, i.e. a bigger movie introducing others "first", then the spin-offs. Though Superman and Batman (to some extent) have already been introduced.

Dire Trout

Jan 6, 2014
>Batman vs. Superman
>"the complex visual nature of the story"

I was not aware that there was anything terribly complex about "I bet Superman could beat up Batman!" "NUH-UH!" "YEAH-HUH!"

Qage

Sep 11, 2013
Maybe I just don't know much about Superhero films or the individual superheroes in question, but isn't Batman vs. Superman going to have a bit of an obvious outcome? Like, when you get down to it, Batman is your average Joe in a Superhero costume. Superman can shoot lasers from his eyes, punch people through walls, is immune to bullets, knives and basically anything other than Kryptonite.

Admittedly I didn't see Man of Steel, but I wouldn't have thought that Batman would stand much of a chance in this matchup.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
May 2016?

As in, twenty-nine months from now?

Are they cloning a new Affleck for replacement parts? That's an awfully long time to let Marvel run the show, guys. Quite frankly, it's hard to imagine the movie will be worth that long a delay. I'm always hopeful, of course, but... I'm kind of thinking this isn't a good sign.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Icehearted said:
Recently? Two names come to mind; Natasha Richardson, Sonny Bono. The slopes eat people all the time.
Here's a two more from the last couple of weeks:

Angela Merkel:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25622660

Michael Schumacher:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25548140

Maybe it was the Joker?

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Everybody knows they don't want to compete with The Avengers: Age of Ultron. They're just too scared to say it.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I like how it's "Batman vs Superman", when Wonder Woman is also going to be in there.

But eh, more time to hate on her/Gal Godot before it comes out, I guess.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
thaluikhain said:
I like how it's "Batman vs Superman", when Wonder Woman is also going to be in there.

But eh, more time to hate on her/Gal Godot before it comes out, I guess.
I don't even know why it's being called that, there's been no title given to it XD.

More time means hopefully more time to put hard work in and make it good, we'll just have to wait and see.

Kenbo Slice said:
Everybody knows they don't want to compete with The Avengers: Age of Ultron. They're just too scared to say it.
I think it's more just common sense, that's be like releasing something not as well built up yet in the video game industry against the new Call of Duty or Halo game... It's committing financial suicide.