dead genres you miss.

zealk

Oct 7, 2009
There are a huge varieties of games out there, and they are all grouped into the genres... but what most people don't relise that some of them are gone. No really, gone, dead, forever away and a few are dying. Don't believe me? when was the last scavenger game you played? The latest one is the Mario Galaxy games.
Horror survival? only indie companies make them any more... and that goes for beat 'em ups and platforms.
The only gernres really left are 'realistic' fps's who want to be halo and jrpg's that want to be final fantasy or monster hunter and hack 'n slashes that want to be god of war or devil may cry.

even the remakes of the old games are fit into these new genres... so what do you want to see come back?

personally i wish they would bring back the metriod style game (large map that you find power-ups) wich may be making a come back with the new bat-man games (so not only is it coming back.. BUT ITS FREAKING BAT-MAN! HOW AWSOME!!!)

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
strategic action games

only one game came out there, 7th Legion, sure it was filed under Strategy, but it is more of an action game rather than an actual THINKING game, with all the battle bonuses you could find and the fact that all buildings appeared instantly when you clicked

AnOriginalConcept

Jan 7, 2010
Sir, I believe you are mistaken. The games that get the most publicity are the FPSs and JRPGs because they are the most popular. Other genres of games still exist.

For example, Shadow Complex is an acclaimed 2d shooter that plays much the metroidvania games.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
Some of these genres are just moving over to the much-cheaper-to-produce casual gaming field. We won't be seeing any full-priced games, so they won't have the same media attention of the latest big-budget sandbox or FPS, but they'll chug along.

The one I miss is text adventures. That ain't ever coming back in a commercial form.

Physics Engine

Aug 18, 2010
I want space sims back...

What happened to Wing Commander, Privateer, X-wing and Tie Fighter? *sadface

More Metroidvania (Shadow Complex is good and all, but I need moar!) too please.

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
point and click adventures (except for a few stray appearing on the wii).

I know you mostly had to think outside the box (or rub every item you have in your inventory onto every npc or object you encounter). Still i loved this genre.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Space Sims. Starlancer was the genre's last hurrah, and Freelancer the nail in its coffin.

zealk

Oct 7, 2009
AnOriginalConcept said:
Sir, I believe you are mistaken. The games that get the most publicity are the FPSs and JRPGs because they are the most popular. Other genres of games still exist.

For example, Shadow Complex is an acclaimed 2d shooter that plays much the metroidvania games.
no sir, i think you are mistaken. if they are not publicly out there then they are dead arent they? what people dont seem to relise is if its not public, then no one is buying it, and if no one buys it, then its a failure... wich also means that if people want to see more games, they need to stop buying these ones and then complaining about how there are no games... if you buy the damn game then its your fault, if you buy it because you like it, good for you.

zealk

Oct 7, 2009
Hashime said:
Space combat sims, those are awesome.
god, every one wants those back huh? god where they fun... actually there is supposed to be a new one comming out... cant remember the name but its a action mmo

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Cartoon platformers, the ones that Rareware were so outlandishly good at making before they were sold to Microsoft. Even after Rare started to suck, they still flourished on the PS2, but now they seem to have gone cold. I guess there is still Ratchet and Clank but apart from that it's pretty silent, save for Mario Galaxy there isn't even room for them on the Wii :(

zhemis

Mar 22, 2010
I like turn based strategy games and that genre doesn't seem dead at all.

Egosoft is working on The Next Big Thing, which will be a space sim.

Idk, doesn't seem like the genres are dead. Just depends on perception. It's quantum, so change it.

schrodingerscat

Oct 11, 2010
D Moness said:
point and click adventures (except for a few stray appearing on the wii).

I know you mostly had to think outside the box (or rub every item you have in your inventory onto every npc or object you encounter). Still i loved this genre.
+1

The old school adventure games were so story rich. It felt like you were playing a novel or something.

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Lost Atlantis ftw.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
They're not dead, but are sparse: 3D platformers. I love them, I probably love them as much as I love RPG. The Wii gets a good one from time to time, and I can always go back and play the old ones like the Banjo-Kazooie games and Psychonauts. I wish Donkey Kong 64 was re-released on the Virtual Console or Xbox Live, as it's my favorite 3D platformer of all time. I've heard Playstation consoles have had some good ones, but for some reason I've never had a PS1,2, or 3 (though I may get a PS3). Anyway, bring back the 3D platformers. I'm so bored of 2D and 2.5D ones.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
I don't know about you guys but I am loving the X games and Evochron. Space Sims are not dead they are just an endangered species.

Not as much of a genre as a studio but I miss Shiny entertainment :'-(

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
I miss a good horror survival game like the Silent Hill games or the Fatal Frame games.