Dead island reveal trailer, piece of art or too far?

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Goldenkitten01 said:
Don't have a problem with it but I'm sure plenty will. I honestly didn't think it was "artsy" or "emotional", it just made me go "Ooooh, new zombie game!".

Like others I have long found the obssession with "Children are innocent and have so much to live for and killing them is terrible but killing adults is fine no matter who they are" mind-numbingly idiotic. With the exception of a**holes who are provided for the purpose of killing them horribly most adults in media are typically good people, some are even heroic and genuine saints...so why is killing them unquestioned simply by virtue of age? Hell, even most of the jerks in movies aren't bad enough to "deserve" the over-the-top deaths which fill the entertainment industry.

Mind you I don't care, I'm able to seperate fact from fiction. But this silly belief that children somehow have greater worth than adults is just plain foolish. If anything I could make an argument for the fact that given that adults have a greater degree of knowledge and matured social/emotional standards they are going to be worth more during the situation and during the coping/rebuilding that comes afterwards.

That's not really a vouch for either, it's a movie/game/book after all. The accepted fact that children are our future or some s**t just grows dull.

((Edit: Oh, and I'd just like to add that while I don't have children of my own I am the oldest child of 8. I was 12 when my first sister was born and 22 when my last was. As such I was and still am a young adult during much of their growth. Additionally without an actual father around I played the father figure for most of them. So I understand the adult attachment to a child on an instinctive level on pretty much the same plane as a parent.

I would never want anything bad to happen to them. But I also don't think their lives are any more important than another human beings just because they had the good grace to be born after someone else.))
No offence but you evidently don't understand the adult attachment to a child as a parent if you don't think that children's lives are more important. Think about how you would feel if anything happened to one of your sisters, I know personally I would give my life in a moment for my little sister and (I hope) any young enough child.

OT: I think it was a good trailer as it was eye-catching and emotional, probably not my sort of game but whatever.

Goldenkitten01

Aug 23, 2010
JoJoDeathunter said:
Goldenkitten01 said:
No offence but you evidently don't understand the adult attachment to a child as a parent if you don't think that children's lives are more important. Think about how you would feel if anything happened to one of your sisters, I know personally I would give my life in a moment for my little sister and (I hope) any young enough child.

OT: I think it was a good trailer as it was eye-catching and emotional, probably not my sort of game but whatever.
You misunderstand why I was using them as an example. If given the choice I would choose any of you to die before I did my sisters. But that isn't because of their age, that's because they're my family and I love them very much. It's natural human instinct to become attached to those we care for and protect them voraciously. My point was that these feelings do not stim from their youth, they stim from that connection.

The whole thing about EVERY child being a unique and perfect flower is a crock. It's a new age philosophy that was dug up to make some politician look good and has been lifted wholesale into everday life, yet nobodies noticed the joke.

Some people may assume I'm trying to be one of the cool kids, "Aw screw people, they can all suck an egg and die." BUT NO, my point isn't that human life is worthless. My point is what makes someone elses life sooooo much more special than anothers just because their parents decided to spread their legs a little later in life?

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Goldenkitten01 said:
You misunderstand why I was using them as an example. If given the choice I would choose any of you to die before I did my sisters. But that isn't because of their age, that's because they're my family and I love them very much. It's natural human instinct to become attached to those we care for and protect them voraciously. My point was that these feelings do not stim from their youth, they stim from that connection.

The whole thing about EVERY child being a unique and perfect flower is a crock. It's a new age philosophy that was dug up to make some politician look good and has been lifted wholesale into everday life, yet nobodies noticed the joke.

Some people may assume I'm trying to be one of the cool kids, "Aw screw people, they can all suck an egg and die." BUT NO, my point isn't that human life is worthless. My point is what makes someone elses life sooooo much more special than anothers just because their parents decided to spread their legs a little later in life?
I personally think that children's lives are worth more as they have more they haven't yet experienced, and are still innocent. However, I've tried having these moral arguments before and no side can ever really win since they aren't based on logic, so I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

As an aside I would like to apologise for my slightly rude tone in my earlier reply to you, although you did call one the core beliefs of my personal moral system "mind-numbingly idiotic" so I was feeling a bit over-defensive. Thank you for not rising to the bait.

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
strangeotron said:
ryderawsome said:
that was one of the best trailers ive seen in ages
Will you feel the same way if you buy the game on the strength of your feeling about that trailer and it turns out to be crap? This is not a trailer. It's a piece of footage used to sell the game.
Agreed, up to this point.

It tells nothing about the game in anyway whatsoever and on that basis it fails miserably.
Disagreement here. It's not a trailer, you're right, but only because it's too early for trailers. That was a teaser, not designed to inform but simply arouse attention. On that point, it succeeded. Spectacularly. Hell, the whole gaming community is buzzing about it, including your good self.

Personally, I don't base my speculations on a game on the teasers. I wait for trailers, announcements or - ideally - watching other people play before I do that. But the teaser captures my attention, and it's for that reason that I will be closely looking for any trailers or demos closer to release.

IZRA

Jan 7, 2011
man, i love this trailer.

the full game be complete crap, but until yesterday i had no idea what it was about or care about it. now i watched the trailer and, even if the game may not reach such emotional heights as the trailer, i'm actually thinking about the game. Genius marketing on their part, just pure genius.

does it go to far? keeping in line with other films and shows like, dawn of the dead and the walking dead, its right on par with them, even tamer i feel.

Moooo4me

Jan 5, 2011
I agree with you, and yeah Fox is gonna bee all over this one :/
But I think this trailer really is a piece of art. Its very emotional and very creative and original. One of the better game trailers I have seen. Ever.

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
My opinion of the trailer is that it was a great trailer for a movie. For a game, it sucked completely and utterly. There are zombies. That's all I got from it. Zombies on a tropical island. It makes me nervous.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Canid117 said:
bfgmetalhead said:
squid5580 said:
Umm how come Feast 2 got away with so much worse? Such bullshit a movie can do so much worse but a video game that is tastefully done can't.
feast 2?
For your viewing pleasure
Mwahahahahaha OH I remember that movie. The only reason I was able to laugh is that I had seen a previous video where Chariots of Fire was playing when he tossed the baby....God I'm an evil a-hole.

But my point of view is this. In a horror movie EVERYONE, NO EXCEPTIONS, is a potential target for a gruesome, bloody and gorey death. I doesn't matter whether they are man woman child or elderly. EVERYONE IS AT RISK and the sooner people get that idea the better off we'll be and horror might be able to make a comeback as not only a genre, but an art within itself.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Midnight Crossroads said:
My opinion of the trailer is that it was a great trailer for a movie. For a game, it sucked completely and utterly. There are zombies. That's all I got from it. Zombies on a tropical island. It makes me nervous.
But what I think the game is trying to do is give a bit of an american twist on the game siren in which it's not about killing zombies mindlessly, but doing what you can to survive with what limited skills and resources you have. Very few games can do survival horror without turning it into a pure action packed game. I'm hoping this is one of them.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Madara XIII said:
But what I think the game is trying to do is give a bit of an american twist on the game siren in which it's not about killing zombies mindlessly, but doing what you can to survive with what limited skills and resources you have. Very few games can do survival horror without turning it into a pure action packed game. I'm hoping this is one of them.
From what I read about the gameplay, it sounds more action focused than survival focused, which is a shame. Here's to hoping I'm completely wrong.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
GiantRaven said:
Madara XIII said:
From what I read about the gameplay, it sounds more action focused than survival focused, which is a shame. Here's to hoping I'm completely wrong.
Let's hope indeed. I want an emotional rollercoaster for this game!

Dr.Monkey

Feb 23, 2011
In my opinion, this trailer was good, and succeeded, yet failed at the same time.
Let me explain:

It was good as a medium, because it used a touching scenario, executed in a clever way, with great animation/ graphics, too emotionally move the viewer. (most viewers). Thats what made it good as a 'movie', not trailer.

It was successful as a trailer because it has a lot of people talking about it, and hyping people up about the game, making a lot of people decide weather or not they want to buy the game or not, despite having no gameplay,
Thus the trailer has done its job.

But at the same time It also failed as a game trailer, because it showed no gameplay footage, and little to no explanation to the story besides zombies on a island.

So it was great as a short artistic movie by its self, but as a game trailer it could of done a lot better.