Dead island reveal trailer, piece of art or too far?

bfgmetalhead

Aug 4, 2010
I saw the new Dead Island trailer today and I personaly thought it was a well made, emotional trailer that shows the 'real horror' of a zombie attack.Most zombie films/games today lack the backbone to include children in them, however the setup in the trailer reminds me of the reality of a zombie attack were no one is safe, not even the children.As some will attack this trailer (fox..*cough*..news..*cough*) as a piece of filth to sell violence to children I think it is a thought provoking piece of art that remninds you that in a 'real zombie attack' your family would die and be turned into canabalistic monsters.Not the whole here's a shotgun go kill stuff! It works fine for dead rising (which by the way is f-ing awsome) takes the element of horror of zombies away some what.

so what are your opinions on the trailer?

p.s if anyone could link the video of the trailer to this page that would be great thanx :3

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Umm how come Feast 2 got away with so much worse? Such bullshit a movie can do so much worse but a video game that is tastefully done can't.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
I honestly don't see why killing a child is worse then killing an adult...it just confuses me.

OT: The trailer was fantastic. It was somewhat cliched in its attempts to pull at your heart strings, but its hard to deny how well made it was.

Watchmacallit

Jan 7, 2010
I don't think it will be attacked. The first 5 minutes of The Walking Dead involved the main character putting one through a little zombie girl's head.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Wow, so many threads about this.

I found it beautiful but very upsetting. I didn't like seeing the little girl dying and in pain and it made me sad, which I suppose means it did exactly what it was trying to do.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I'm pretty sure the Fox news team lacks the mental capacity to attack more than one game at a time.

They're probably still flipping out over Bulletstorm, and the MASSIVE increase in rape it's sure to cause.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
bfgmetalhead said:
squid5580 said:
Umm how come Feast 2 got away with so much worse? Such bullshit a movie can do so much worse but a video game that is tastefully done can't.
feast 2?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpKBTTv1lgs&feature=related

Watch at your own risk. It is disturbing. Seriously disturbing. I am not kidding. If you can't handle the Dead Island trailer do not watch this.

Vonnis

Feb 18, 2011
I thought it was brilliant. Well-made, stylish and original, and it made me want to know more about the game which is exactly what a trailer should do. The music fit very well with the video, which did a very good job of getting across the desperation of the situation. I wouldn't call it art, but I'm not of the "video games/VG trailers are art!" persuasion anyway.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
It's one of the best trailers I've seen for anything, be it games, movies, etc. It's heart-wrenching and it truly evokes emotion from the viewer.

It's not too far at all. In an actual scenario like the one depicted, children would die. It does a great job at exploring the idea that maybe a zombie outbreak wouldn't just be silly, campy fun.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I thought it was well put together it also warns before viewing. So what the problem is?

If you want garbage look up 'human centipede' which isn't a game.

thehorror2

Jan 25, 2010
Trailers like this provide a nice contrast to the rubbish game companies usually put out. Compare the Dead Island trailer to the one for Crysis 2: flashy, intense, a little creepy, but not really emotional at all. Lots of explosions, lots of pithy dialogue, and some very pretty gameplay, but watching Manhattan collapse doesn't have half the impact of realizing exactly what happens over the course of the DI trailer.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
I thought that it was contrived and lacked nuance or wit. It went to far with the young girl in danger theme but only in that they layered the pathos on too thick when something more subtle would have been better. The real key to that sort of thing is letting your imagination run wild with what is happening off screen. But that's just me.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
I liked it, I want to see a bit more emotional depth in games of this generation and to see such a beautiful family being torn apart, fighting for their survival, doing what is necessary just makes me quiver with anticipation

Plus it was very stylish and I am getting a bit sick of just the standard fps action games, it's driving me away from games lately

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I liked it, it's nice to see a trailer that's not just a shitload of explosions and gunshots.

And the reverse time thing was gone rather well (although the zombies looked fast and in a melee focused zombie game that's probably not the best type of zombie to go for)

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
More Fun To Compute said:
I thought that it was contrived and lacked nuance or wit. It went to far with the young girl in danger theme but only in that they layered the pathos on too thick when something more subtle would have been better. The real key to that sort of thing is letting your imagination run wild with what is happening off screen. But that's just me.
Lacked nuance or wit?
It wasn't supposed to be nuaced nor witty. It wasn't supposed to play to your imagination. It wasn't supposed to be horrifying or perplexing or open ended.
It was supposed to be 'tragic'.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
I actually liked it. The whole reserve time thing was done amazingly, and just the whole thing made me giddy for it's release.

Feste the Jester

Jul 10, 2009
icame said:
I honestly don't see why killing a child is worse then killing an adult...it just confuses me.
It's often looked at as worse because children are seen to be defenseless and innocent in many cultures.

OT: I think it looks really good. Though I am not really sure about the game itself since the trailer doesn't seem to identify anything beyond its a zombie game.

Apr 28, 2008
Eh, I've seen plenty of child death in Deus Ex and Fallout 1+2, so I was less "moved" by the trailer. I'm glad that at least one game these days has the balls to bring child death into the fray though.