Dead Islands "Australian" accents (they're not Australian)

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
It wiz probarly jist a wallaby!
If anybody wants to really hear what Australians sound like listen to Miranda in Mass Effect 2.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
SilentCom said:
On a different note, this is how the Russian language should sound in a video game:

Fun fact: You can toggle between Russian and English in Metro 2033. Why? Because all the Russian voice actors recorded their dialouge in both languages.

Hipsy_Gypsy

Jun 2, 2011
I thought it sounded alright, then again I guess I can't really talk seeing as I'm not actually Australian. All those Australian programmes like Water Rats, Home & Away, Neighbours etc., it sounds alright to me but like I said... I can't talk, haha. Oh, btw, when you said:

y1fella said:
"Hulloh? Caann yehr hier meh!"
I didn't skip over the "R"s because of my own accent, haha, then I realised, lol. I'm the same with my Berlitz Swedish booklet. It tells you how to pronounce the words but I end up confusing myself a bit when I go to say it then listen to it on the tape and I sit there wondering for a moment where the "R"s disappeared to, haha.

TheRightToArmBears said:
SammiYin said:
As an Englishman, I can just say you're getting it easy.
As an Irishman, I can just say you're getting it easy.

I live in England too, so everyone I meet seems to try an Irish accent 'for a laugh'. It is always awful.
If somebody tries to do a Northern Irish accent at me, it's either because they're mocking my dialect or I'm doing it incredibly broadly with a friend to take the piss out of ourselves :p It's horrible! Irish accents are lovely but when people try and fail at them it's embarrassing enough, lmao!

x

Timmehexas

Aug 15, 2010
Totally use to it, I've rarely seen any kind of game or movie for that matter actually pull off a fairly decent Australian accent (of course not counting actual Australian actors) so why get all worked up about it. It's actually pretty hilarious...

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
AngloDoom said:
OT: I'll be honest, half my family is Australian and they pretty much all sound like that. I went to visit them once in Quuensland
Yeah, well... Queensland has the highest concentration of 'broad Australian' accent. Once you're outside the larger coastal towns it's rare to hear anything other than the broad Australian accent (unless you're in tribal lands in which case you get tribal language influenced accents instead).

It's not so much that they get the accent 'wrong' (although that happens most of the time as it is) its that they always, ALWAYS, use the accent that's looked down on here as the accent of dipshit racist hicks... and Queenslanders... but seeing as that's how most other Australians regard Queenslanders, it's somewhat redundant to mention them seperately.

Or to put it another way... Imagine if the rest of the world seemed intent on regarding Dick van Dyke's attempt at Cockney as the One and Only True English Accent.

y1fella

Jul 29, 2009
Ghengis John said:
y1fella said:
I played world of warcraft with 3 Australians in our late-night guild 2-3 nights a week for two years. And one of them sounded exactly like this guy. So, seriously. This is less an example of "ignorant yanks" as it is a matter of "nitpicky aussie". So the guy's from Queensland? So you wish he had your accent instead? Big whoop. This is tantamount to a southerner hearing a Boston accent and getting upset because "americans do not sound like that". Some do. I don't know if we think they all sound like that, but I know I don't.
Yeah I guess I jumped the gun with the whole ignorant yanks thing but that being said I believe I have a point and if you can't tell one Australian accent from another then that does not mean they are the same. Mind you it's easily possible w=you were playing with people with an accent like the one in the trailer.
Also I'd like to point out the guy has a darker skin tone along the lines of a Mediterranean to my eye, a Samoan tribal tattoo on his face, an out back Australia accent and he works as a life guard So while this is a plausible combination of elements (an Italian who moved to Australia at a very young age grew up in the outback and got a tattoo while drunk for example) I'd be more inclined to criticize him for inconsistency rather than anything else.

ChickenZombie

May 25, 2011
Am I the only one who is bothered by their title screen? HOW IS THE PALM BRANCH SUPPORTING THE WEIGHT OF THAT HUMAN BODY? HOW DOES IT WORK?

y1fella

Jul 29, 2009
FallenTraveler said:
y1fella said:
People Like Steve Irwin were the exception. There are people from Australia who sound like that but they are very few and very very far between.
So, what you're saying is that you don't like that the characters in this game ARE those kinds of australians? How do you know that isn't exactly what the dev's wanted to do? Or are you saying you don't like steve irwin?
Somebody else pointed out something so I'm just going to quote him and say I agree with everything he just said.
RhombusHatesYou said:
y1fella said:
For those of you who haven't been following dead island they released a new trailer in which a life guard with a tattooed face speaks a few words in an "Australian" accent.
Which is really kind of strange because, if memory serves, that face tatt is a Samoan design... and seeing as the guy speaking also looks somewhat Polynesian I'd have expected a more Samoan sounding accent not a Mt Isa cattlefucker accent.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
Exactly y1fella, the Australian accents are terrible. They are tourist industry Australian, to emphasise our difference. Most Australian men and women, do not sound like this. Certain types of bogan can be close, but also different.

PAGEToap44

Jul 16, 2008
Well I'm Scottish. I don't think we allow anyone but ourselves to speak in our accents. :) Or no one wants to. But yeah, I can't think of a single film/game/tv show where anyone one other than a Scot has played a Scot.

If anyone knows otherwise please enlighten me.

PS, just thought of one. Dan Castellaneta, an American, voices Willie in the Simpsons. He does it ok , although Americans tend to think that's what we all sound like...

EDIT: Yes, I think Aussies go get a hard time with their accents.

Oh an I just remembered a certain Aussie who played a Scot, Mel Gibson in Braveheart. Not too bad, shame he couldn't have brushed up on his Scottish history.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
It's not that bad really. I'm aussie and I didn't exactly cringe at it. It does shit me when other nationalities overplay it wildly, like Robert Downey Jr. Fuck me I just couldn't stand his accent in Natural Born Killers. I loved his character, he was funnk as hell, but the accent was just infuriating.
Also gotta point out that I Jake Sully from Avatar was supposed to be American, Sam Worthington is just a shit actor and can't hold an accent.

Phisi

Jun 1, 2011
I get sick of the terrible Russian accents you find in games like... actually why does Men of War have such terrible Russian accents WHEN THE DEV TEAM WAS RUSSIAN!!! why not hire them to do it? Besides the terrible Australian accents that I think are just getting worse as I have lived in Australia for 12 years but you have forgotten South African accents, Being from South Africa originally I practically cry/laugh when Actors try to put one on to varying degrees of success and smugness.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
RhombusHatesYou said:
AngloDoom said:
OT: I'll be honest, half my family is Australian and they pretty much all sound like that. I went to visit them once in Quuensland
Yeah, well... Queensland has the highest concentration of 'broad Australian' accent. Once you're outside the larger coastal towns it's rare to hear anything other than the broad Australian accent (unless you're in tribal lands in which case you get tribal language influenced accents instead).

It's not so much that they get the accent 'wrong' (although that happens most of the time as it is) its that they always, ALWAYS, use the accent that's looked down on here as the accent of dipshit racist hicks... and Queenslanders... but seeing as that's how most other Australians regard Queenslanders, it's somewhat redundant to mention them seperately.

Or to put it another way... Imagine if the rest of the world seemed intent on regarding Dick van Dyke's attempt at Cockney as the One and Only True English Accent.
Fair enough then, my view of Australia is pretty much limited to that one experience and Steve Urwin so I'm not exactly an expert.

That said, I think the only reason anything other than cockney is show as a stereotype when presenting the English in the media is so they can have the Queen's English, tea-sipping, scone-farting individual with a monocle. At least we have some variance, but I can't help but feel it's only for the shake of presenting the English 'class-system'.

Stereotypes will always take the most exaggerate voices because they're the hardest to to 'wrong'. If I tried to speak with a slight Scottish accent, people could mistake it. If I yell about haggis and bagpipes in a voice like a bull-mastif people, well then people go "Ah! A Scottish!"

Nickompoop

Jan 23, 2011
I wouldn't know. I'm one of those Damn Dirty Americans you hear about in the news.

I have a question though: do people of other nationalities sit around and try to imitate American accents? Because we (my friends and I, at least) constantly try to perfect our British/Scottish/Russian/etc. accents.

Also, what does a bad American accent sound like? I've never heard one, and after seeing this thread, I'm curious.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
BanicRhys said:
Well actually, as an Australian I can say that most of those accents sounded realistic, they might be pretty broad but there are people who talk like that *cough* Queensland *cough* in this country.
Hey man, as someone who has lived in Queensland for 16 years, I can tell you we do not sound like that. A few bogans from Ipswich, maybe. But don't lump all Queenslanders in with those types.

I swear there are some nasty Queensland stereotypes around, I read on here a while back that we're apparently all cannabils too. Where the hell did that come from?

Halberd said:
That is an Australian accent but it is a slightly stereotypical one though, a lot of people have the misconception that all Australians have that sort of Queensland/Brisbane/Sydney'ish accent.

Kind of reminds me of the Australian accents in the Finding Nemo movie.

But yeah, its not that fake of an Australian accent but to be honest probably only a quarter or less of Australians even sound like that...
I thought the accents in finding Nemo were pretty good, especially Nemo and his Dad. Weren't the sharks meant to be satires of the stereotypical accent?

ZydrateDealer

Nov 17, 2009
SammiYin said:
As an Englishman, I can just say you're getting it easy.
As a Welshman I can say that people in glass houses shouldn't 'do' accents when they're talking to a foreign friend or find out someone has any nationality other than English or they're liable to need a good window replacement service.

Seagoon

Feb 14, 2010
AngloDoom said:
RhombusHatesYou said:
AngloDoom said:

Fair enough then, my view of Australia is pretty much limited to that one experience and Steve Urwin so I'm not exactly an expert.

That said, I think the only reason anything other than cockney is show as a stereotype when presenting the English in the media is so they can have the Queen's English, tea-sipping, scone-farting individual with a monocle. At least we have some variance, but I can't help but feel it's only for the shake of presenting the English 'class-system'.

Stereotypes will always take the most exaggerate voices because they're the hardest to to 'wrong'. If I tried to speak with a slight Scottish accent, people could mistake it. If I yell about haggis and bagpipes in a voice like a bull-mastif people, well then people go "Ah! A Scottish!"
If by people, you mean Americans then yes. but that's only due to poor education system and little knowledge of the world around them...

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
seagoon said:
AngloDoom said:
RhombusHatesYou said:
AngloDoom said:

If by people, you mean Americans then yes. but that's only due to poor education system and little knowledge of the world around them...
Being that most of the 'people' I talk to are English, that's actually not what I mean.

When it comes to stereotypes, they're often everyone's first port-of-call when dealing with something new. As a result of a lot of our media and such coming from America, to say English people don't make the same stereotype seems odd.

As an example, when saying I grew up in Germany, the first three things I got asked (besides if I was German) were:

- I've heard everyone in Germany loves Hitler and has statues of Hitler everywhere. How did that make you feel?
- How did you eat?! All the food they have is disgusting meat.
And, to top it all off:
- Oh...isn't Germany all war-torn and full of terrorists and nazis?