Dead Rising 3 Ditches The Race Against The Clock

Hatchet90

Nov 15, 2009
Yeah... let's go ahead and get rid of mushrooms or hell even jumping in a Mario game as well because that's what they're basically doing by getting rid of the clock in Dead Rising. It made the game very tense and suspenseful when you had to kill a psychopath within a certain period of time, save survivors before the zombies got to them, get Zombrex for your daughter before time ran out, and I could go on and on.

I know some people didn't like the time limit thing, but at the same time it made Dead Rising a very unique experience where some people liked it and some people didn't. Jim Sterling is probably angry at this news because a game isn't fun when it "attempts to appeal to a wider audience" and I tend to agree with that sentiment. Smartphone BS certainly isn't a good replacement for the time mechanic either.

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
Capcom ruining Dead Rising, I already called this last year, after them systematically fucking up Resi 6, DMC:DMC and obliterating the Megaman series, Dead Rising was all they had left to destroy.

nickpy said:
Yeeeaaaaaa..... so, that's Reasons #6 and #7 why I don't want to buy this game despite liking the previous installment.
(#1 was Xbox One Exclusive)
Full list:
#1 Xbone Exclusive
#2 Brown colour scheme
#3 No kill counter
#4 Serious business/ no humour
#5 Capcom havn't released a good game in years, why break the trend now?
#6 Smartglass
#7 No timer

Seriously, I really want this game to bomb and Capcom to go under. It's not like anything of value would be lost, and hopefully their IP would be picked up by someone who cares.

Mike Laserbeam

Dec 10, 2010
If this game had been released as some new IP and was EXACTLY the same, I think I'd genuinely consider buying it.

However, it's being released as a Dead Rising game. Dead Rising is one of my favourite game franchises ever. I liked DR1 and 2 because they were incredibly unique, to the point of slight inaccessibility at some points (DR1's aiming and save system come to mind) but I got over that because I could see that there was something genuinely very special about the games, and learnt to love them.

Now, the sequel is coming and it is starting to look like they've taken everything I loved about it's predecessors and turned it into a crowd-pleasing generic zombie game, hiding away the tiniest aspects they've kept from previous games and only mentioning them when series fans ask "Don't worry, the silly costumes and combo weapons are still in the game!"

I wasn't always a fan of the timer in Dead Rising, but I won't be happy to see it relegated to some "Hardcore" mode. The timer - among a lot of other things that DR3 seem to be missing - is what made Dead Rising unique, they're what made Dead Rising interesting.

I won't buy Dead Rising 3 because it's like somebody killed one of my favourite game franchises, the only reason I can think of to use the name "Dead Rising" is to hook in previous fans of the series, but at the same time they've destroyed what those fans like. This ISN'T a Dead Rising game.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
At first you had my attention, started losing it at smartphone integration, and completely made me lose interest at Xbone exclusive. I wouldn't have minded the race against the clock in the first one if the clock didn't move so fast and the fact that some things just wouldn't stay dead and out of your way. However, because the clock moved so fast I just couldn't enjoy the game at all if I tried to complete the main story. Because of that, dropping the clock completely does interest me, but I have no interest in smartphone integration with a game and also no interest in getting an Xbone so I'm definitely going to have to skip this one.

Zukabazuka

Mar 7, 2012
The problem I had with it was the time wasn't that good done. Playing with my brother and look at the clock, oh 5h to next event. around 20min later. You have 20min left to event. That wasn't fun. It pretty much guarantied you would fail on first play through. Due to the system was done. You had to gain level to increase your item slots, weapons have the lowest durability in any game I have ever played. You start with 3 inventory slots.

Full 36h would be kind of long really. But you could put in a system where you had to sleep or so. To recover some stamina or just drink that coffee.

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
I don't enjoy this decision.

The timer actually helps the Dead Rising experience, in my opinion and the opinions of many others, by creating a much more tense situation and forcing you to plan out what you will do and how you will do it in time.

Oh sure, people want to run around in their underpants and fight zombies all day, but there can be a freeplay mode for that. If you want a zombie game with a plotline and no real timelimit, try out State of Decay or something.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Oh man, they get rid of my least favorite part of the franchise also getting rid of the things that make it an enjoyable franchise?

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
elvor0 said:
In that case I stand very much corrected. That...seems utterly pointless, I get the idea of a 4D thing you can use with your phone as most people have one, so it' safe to assume the audience for dead rising has them, but Smartglass exclusivity seems like a waste of time developing for. Barely anyone has the damn stuff, barely anyone is actually gonna be able to see this stuff. Oh Microsoft.
It is simply so MS an push their peripherals. The Kinect was a HUGE R&D cost, relatively few bought it due to the limited uses though. Now they are making the Kinect 2.0 and, to a lesser degree, smart glass mandatory so they will be assured to recoup their R&D losses.

I hope the game bombs and they patch the content back into the game to try and lure people back.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I loved the timer of Dead Rising 1 and 2, especially in the former which made the game all more tense when you wasn't being mauled to death by everything in the game. I'm sad to see it go, and I see why they chose to do it, just not why it was necessary, is it to appeal to the more easygoing players? Because I'm sure they can learn to man up and work against the clock.

Dec 16, 2009
Strazdas said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
Strazdas said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
another thing stripped from the IP that made it less generic
id take mroe generic over having the most annoying feature in games ever - a race timer that forces me to rush what im doing.
but a race against ther clock was part of the game.
keeping the pressure on the player.
now there'll be one less reason for urgency. theres already plenty of sand box games where the player can aimlessly f##k about
A bad part of a game that we are better off without it.
It is good that there is less reason for urgency. i dont want urgency. if you want urgency you can create it in any game. there are speedruns for a reason. i dont want urgency in any of my games.
would it not be more tasteful to avoid games which have mechanics you don't like, rather than praise the game being ruined for fans of the IP

Dec 16, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
Yeah, how dare they remove largely hated mechanics like this one?
why play it if you didn't like the mechanic? Plenty of other games without it.
There are fans of the IP who were happy with this element

Why are people so happy to see more and more IPs become generic.

We don't have to play every game.
Its ok to leave Dead Rising on the shelf because you didn't like or enjoy the clock

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Mr Ink 5000 said:
There are fans of the series that hated the element. It borders on a Scrappy Mechanic.

See, you'd have an argument, except this was crap in the first place. Don't say "don't play this game if you don't like it," because obviously we liked the game. The time constraint (which, by the way, isn't completely removed) was simply a part we didn't.

Its ok to leave Dead Rising on the shelf because you didn't like or enjoy the clock
Of course, we don't need to make that voice now. It's on the shelf without the clock. We win! Yay!

I agree with your basic premise that "we don't have to play every game." Your application here is ridiculous, though. There are plenty of games I don't give a crap about. You know what I do?

Nothing. They don't impact me.

When a series I like has a mechanic I do not, I want it gone, fixed, whatever. And frankly, if the only elements keeping a game from being generic suck, then the problem isn't that the game's becoming more generic.

If you don't like it, don't play it. Or better yet, play Nightmare mode, which restores the time limit. I'm betting most people won't, however. Why? Because they hated that time limit too.

Dec 16, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
There are fans of the series that hated the element. It borders on a Scrappy Mechanic.

See, you'd have an argument, except this was crap in the first place. Don't say "don't play this game if you don't like it," because obviously we liked the game. The time constraint (which, by the way, isn't completely removed) was simply a part we didn't.

Of course, we don't need to make that voice now. It's on the shelf without the clock. We win! Yay!

I agree with your basic premise that "we don't have to play every game." Your application here is ridiculous, though. There are plenty of games I don't give a crap about. You know what I do?

Nothing. They don't impact me.

When a series I like has a mechanic I do not, I want it gone, fixed, whatever. And frankly, if the only elements keeping a game from being generic suck, then the problem isn't that the game's becoming more generic.

If you don't like it, don't play it. Or better yet, play Nightmare mode, which restores the time limit. I'm betting most people won't, however. Why? Because they hated that time limit too.
well, you've put a lot of thought into that response

I guess you can enjoy Dead Rising 3 and I can always go back to 2 if I need that fix.

Although, I will say my generic comment also related to the grey n brown too

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
I really hope they still have different endings for the nightmare mode depending on how you did like the other Dead Rising Games

Jun 20, 2013
I really liked the clock. They took away pretty much everything that made DR unique in order to appeal to a bunch of whiners who frankly shouldn't be the playing the game in the first goddamn place. Thanks for fucking it all up Blue Castle.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Mr Ink 5000 said:
Strazdas said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
Strazdas said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
id take mroe generic over having the most annoying feature in games ever - a race timer that forces me to rush what im doing.
now there'll be one less reason for urgency. theres already plenty of sand box games where the player can aimlessly f##k about
It is good that there is less reason for urgency. i dont want urgency. if you want urgency you can create it in any game. there are speedruns for a reason. i dont want urgency in any of my games.
would it not be more tasteful to avoid games which have mechanics you don't like, rather than praise the game being ruined for fans of the IP
No, it would not. If there is a game you like and enjoy, and it has a bad mechanic in it, you dont drop the game, you try to fix it, and removing timers are fixing it for many players as it is largely hated. you dont run from problems, you fix them.

Dec 16, 2009
Strazdas said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
Strazdas said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
Strazdas said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
No, it would not. If there is a game you like and enjoy, and it has a bad mechanic in it, you dont drop the game, you try to fix it, and removing timers are fixing it for many players as it is largely hated. you dont run from problems, you fix them.
it wasnt a bad mechanic; it was an element some liked, some did not.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Mr Ink 5000 said:
Strazdas said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
Strazdas said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
Strazdas said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
it wasnt a bad mechanic; it was an element some liked, some did not.
rushing a player with a timer rather than dictating pace with game design is a bad mechanic and a workaround solution. of course some people liked it, you for example. plenty didnt, as was clear by the fans outcry that has lead to this.