Dead Rising 3 PC Version Will Run Into Issues Above 30 FPS, Says Capcom

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Dead Rising 3 PC Version Will Run Into Issues Above 30 FPS, Says Capcom

Capcom says players can unlock the game's 30 FPS cap on the PC version, but will probably run into problems if they do.

Read Full Article

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Excuse me a second.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I am amused by the incompetence.

erbi79

Apr 21, 2013
But is it really incompetence, or just lazyness? :)

Good move Capcom, also the minimal specs they posted are ridiculous

Sotanaht

Mar 6, 2008
I would just like to point out the FPS-related difficulties with Dark Souls 2 on PC, which can be seen in comparison on this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVrlwnYkRMI&feature=youtu.be

In this game, they have tied much of game logic to frame rate. It should be noted that the PC version of the game is set to 60 frames by design, which requires modding or system-limiting to change back to 30 as there is no in-game option (30fps displays the console-standard behaviors).

Some other things were not covered by this video as they are hard to actually see. In particular, the invincibility time during a roll or backstep is cut in half when playing at 60 FPS, and certain enemy attacks that have the ability to track the player during their animation now have a ghosting effect described as "shockwaves" by the playerbase.

You can likely expect similar issues in Dead Rising 3. I wouldn't expect anything too crazy, unless something moving at twice the expected speed (not everything will) manages to clip through a solid object in some way, but there could be some game-breaking speed-related issues nontheless

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
At this stage I'm remembering a Totalbiscuit episode where he unlocked the fps cap on a racing game and suddenly the game went at lightning speed to an unplayable degree. So, takin' bets: We gonna get that kind of shenanigans or just odd glitches here and there?

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Weresquirrel said:
At this stage I'm remembering a Totalbiscuit episode where he unlocked the fps cap on a racing game and suddenly the game went at lightning speed to an unplayable degree. So, takin' bets: We gonna get that kind of shenanigans or just odd glitches here and there?
Odd glitches (mostly funnily acting physics from what I understand). The NFS game you mentioned actually tied the entire gameplay to the framerate with the exception of the other cars - hence why that game went insane.
DR3 seems to only have some physics and zombie-animations tied to 30 FPS (if I got that right) so it should be fully playable at 60 but you probably notice some rather obvious oddities.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
At this point im just curious to what kind of issues uncapping the framerate can introduce.

Weresquirrel said:

Hawkeye21

Oct 25, 2011
Well, sure, we developed and ported the game, but how does it work? We just don't know. We simply have no way of knowing how it works, or how it will work if you unlock the framerate. What is QA? We simply don't know.
Well, that just explains so much about today gamedev industry.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
man thats some lousy programming, i think dark souls and need for speed also have some seriously problems once the framerate is unlocked

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
This is kind of sad to be fair, so basically buy dead rising 2 as it works? Dark Souls 1 had a few problems if you unlocked framerate as you sometimes would fall through the world when sliding down a ladder, shitty ? yes . should have done better? also yes but they get a small ammount of slack as they had never done a pc game before and told everyone beforehand that they did not know what they where doing but they would do there best, they have also learned form there mistake and dark souls 2 works very very well on pc. Capcom as made loads of PC games for years so they should know better.

Its just shitty programming and there is no excuse for it, its not like we are back on the IBM 5150 and the games are locked to the clock rate of the CPU , this is 2014 and its totally 100% unacceptable.

Do not buy

Defective by design.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Translation : We are incompetent as fuck at PC porting... and we don't give a fuck, suck our dick, we're motherfucking Capcom.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Charcharo said:
Jeez how incompetent can you get?
I mean, it seems like most AAA developers have gone to shit. They cant even code their games right...
It's not the developers being incompetent. Console games have been FPS-capped for a long time, where the speed of the game is directly tied to how many frames are displayed. This has been done since pretty much the dawn of time, and many devs who design a game in such a way encounter these issues when porting to PC (especially given lack of experience in the matter). It's really not that surprising. (This is even funnier when running emulated games that have framerate tied with the rate of the gameplay, as there's LITERALLY nothing you can do about it)

Either way, they should do better, but it's not a "new" issue in any manner of speaking. I question the attempt at a port in the first place given these problems exist.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
I really couldn't care less about Dead Rising 3, but if Rockstar decide for some reason decide not to give GTA V's port to the guys who ported Max Payne 3 and they fuck up like this then I will be pissed. Still really bad that a PC port in 2014 still has a big chance of being terrible is just unforgivable, especially for a company who's made ports before.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
What this basically means is a shit-ton of the moment to moment gameplay is tied to fps. PC devs have known since the fucking 90s not to do bullshit like this. Its basically the modern equivalent of games from the 80s tying game speed to CPU clock speed: Fucking stupid and reeking of sheer braindead incompetence. We saw this shit with Dark Souls where if uncapped the framerate you were very likely to fall through the floor (among other problems). I don't like layoffs in any situation, but the people responsible for enforcing and enabling this fucktarded code policy need to be fired and barred from ever holding a job dealing with computer code again.

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
My god... developers need to re-learn that you should NEVER tie ingame physics into the framerate!

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
alj said:
This is kind of sad to be fair, so basically buy dead rising 2 as it works? Dark Souls 1 had a few problems if you unlocked framerate as you sometimes would fall through the world when sliding down a ladder, shitty ? yes . should have done better? also yes but they get a small ammount of slack as they had never done a pc game before and told everyone beforehand that they did not know what they where doing but they would do there best, they have also learned form there mistake and dark souls 2 works very very well on pc. Capcom as made loads of PC games for years so they should know better.

Its just shitty programming and there is no excuse for it, its not like we are back on the IBM 5150 and the games are locked to the clock rate of the CPU , this is 2014 and its totally 100% unacceptable.

Do not buy

Defective by design.
Dark Souls 1 had no option to go to 60 FPS, you had to force it with a mod. Yet it still gave FAR less issues than Dark Souls 2 running at 60 FPS. I played the entirety of DS1 at 60FPS and had zero issues at all. Playing DS2 at 60 makes weapons degrade twice as fast and removes half of the invincibility frames from your dodges, completely screwing the game balance.

Sure. it's got a much better interface and better PC native controls but the frame rate caused far less issues in the first game.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Sotanaht said:
I would just like to point out the FPS-related difficulties with Dark Souls 2 on PC, which can be seen in comparison on this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVrlwnYkRMI&feature=youtu.be
Just do you know, you shouldn't use YouTube videos for frame rate comparisons if they show gameplay. YouTube doesn't support 60 FPS, never has, and any videos rendered at 60 FPS are scaled down to 30 during the processing part of uploading a video.

OT: I will say the same thing as always: as long as the frame rate is consistent then I'm fine with 30 FPS. What's the point of having a high frame rate if it jumps around wildly. 60 is nice and is better, I'm not denying that. But I don't care if I'm playing a game at 30 or 60 at all, and I adapt just fine to it.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
matrix3509 said:
What this basically means is a shit-ton of the moment to moment gameplay is tied to fps. PC devs have known since the fucking 90s not to do bullshit like this. Its basically the modern equivalent of games from the 80s tying game speed to CPU clock speed: Fucking stupid and reeking of sheer braindead incompetence. We saw this shit with Dark Souls where if uncapped the framerate you were very likely to fall through the floor (among other problems). I don't like layoffs in any situation, but the people responsible for enforcing and enabling this fucktarded code policy need to be fired and barred from ever holding a job dealing with computer code again.
I just completed Dark Souls at 60fps and never had any of those sorts of problems, but I agree that they're there. I think it's worse in DaS2 since if your computer can run it 60FPS isn't optional and it basically forces you into playing the hardcore mode of features that are already bullshit (why would you tie weapon degradation to the framerate?!).