Dead Space 2 Teased With Ink Blots

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Dead Space 2 Teased With Ink Blots

A cryptic inkblot picture has appeared on the internet, heralding the next installment in the sci-fi survival horror series.

EA sure does love its viral marketing campaigns, as following all the various stunts it perpetrated to market Dante's Inferno, it's teasing us with Rorschach style inkblots with weird symbols scrawled at the bottom.

The image was uploaded to what appears to be the official Dead Space Twitter [http://twitter.com/deadspace] account and apparently contains the silhouettes of many of the first game's monsters, and the symbols is actually Unitology script and reads "the nightmare is over but it will not end".

As teasers go, it's pretty intriguing. I never got round to playing Dead Space, not all the way through at least, but this has piqued my interest and I might have to revisit it.

Just out of interest, what do you folks think it looks like?

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5419448/is-this-our-first-look-at-dead-space-2?]

Pm0n3y

An emaciated shadow
Jul 29, 2009
Personally, I think it looks like a bunch of monsters put together.

Hey, someone had to say it.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
Yeah, I definitely see the scythes of those common ones. And there's also the shape of one of those babies too.

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
It's the gaping maw of a horrible creature bursting out of the stomach of some poor soul.

spike0918

Apr 16, 2009
Undoubtedly related to Dead Space. What other sci-fi creature has hands with spikes down the middle of its hands?

[small]I don't actually know what Unitology is, but it looks pretty freaky.[/small]

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
Necromorphs at the top, tentacle things with no arms below them.

And 2 Walrus at the bottom.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Will I get banned if I say I thought it was a Vagina? That's the first thing that popped into my mind...

plastic_window

Jun 29, 2008
Now you mention it, I can see the monsters in there - there's the typical scythe-arms dudes and the wierd baby-creatures and then the guys who crawl around on their hands with scythe-tails at the very bottom.

But before that, I thought the white spot in the middle looked kinda like the big, red and black obelisk that kinda sets all the necromorph buisness in motion or whatever. To be honest, I didn't pay attention to the story that much. Not sure how those two things are connected.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Zing said:
Will I get banned if I say I thought it was a Vagina? That's the first thing that popped into my mind...
Hey, beat me to it

On a more serious note though, I see some sort of horrible gateway.
Also, I just can't find the pragmatics of "the nightmare is over but it will not end". That doesn't really make sense.

Nevyrmoore

Aug 13, 2009
spike0918 said:
[small]I don't actually know what Unitology is, but it looks pretty freaky.[/small]
They're the religion that spawned after some bloke got assassinated telling everyone that the marker is the key to human understanding and evolution, and that the government was trying to hide it.

They're also loonies who all committed suicide several days before the planet crack of Aegis VII.

On topic, I do hope it's a bunch of monsters put together. A Frankenstein's monster of Necromorphs sounds awesome.

Amarok

Dec 13, 2008
An insignia of the horde turned upside down with some extra crap at the sides

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
nilcypher said:
Just out of interest, what do you folks think it looks like?
Middle is the Marker, top and botom corners are Necropmorphs of various descriptions and the middle ones are the tentacles of doom.

Or possibly the worst nightmare scenario of a sexual encounter.

That thing's pretty recise for an 'ink blot',
<spoiler= Spoilerific>My guess is that one of the other Markers has somehow been re-activated, at least two more are known to exist.
Which means either Necros on Earth or some other as yet unknown location. Or possibly worse things than the Necromorphs, the Aegis 7 marker was Red (and man made) whilst the Earth one is black. Whether that is because it was inactive or had different capabilities isn't known, but it probably isn't good news.

In fact it's almost cretainly bad news, whoever left the Black MArker on Earth left an inscription that roughly translated to "this frightens us, and it should frighten you,"
Never a good sign.

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
plastic_window said:
Now you mention it, I can see the monsters in there - there's the typical scythe-arms dudes and the wierd baby-creatures and then the guys who crawl around on their hands with scythe-tails at the very bottom.

But before that, I thought the white spot in the middle looked kinda like the big, red and black obelisk that kinda sets all the necromorph buisness in motion or whatever. To be honest, I didn't pay attention to the story that much. Not sure how those two things are connected.
Now that you mention it, I see it too.

nolongerhere

Winter is coming.
Nov 19, 2008
IdealistCommi said:
I wonder if they will start using that for therapist offices?

"Mr.Jim, what do you see here?"
"I see hundreds a murderous monsters, coming for my flesh. They do not stop, they keep coming for me. Through the vents. With corpses. Wanting me to be like them"
"Okay then, *writes something* this is your ticket to the loony bin. Have a great time."
"Ah, Jim. You see, your problem is that you inadverdantly scare the everloving shit out of everyone you meet [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NightmareFuelStationAttendant], and really don't seem to understand why. That's why we are keeping you here, and that's why we don't allow you to show anyone your drawings."