Dead Space 3 PC Won't Be Different From Console

TotalerKrieger

Nov 12, 2011
Not really a big deal if they are referring solely to graphical fidelity...It would be kind of shitty if things like FPS and resolution were locked into console standards for some arbitrary reason.

Regardless, any self-respecting gamer, with a pc or a console, should probably give this one a miss due to all this micro-transaction garbage. Really poor form to include such a system in a full price game. At least, wait a few months until you can find a used copy with a 50% off price in the bargain bin or something. We have a duty as consumers to ensure that such business practices crash and burn.

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
Legion said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Poor PC gamers, now you have to play the same game as everyone else. My heart bleeds.
Assuming the sarcasm is directed at the people up in arms about it, I agree. I don't see how having the same game as other platforms for a cheaper price is a bad thing. The only downside is the requirement of Origin, which would be needed regardless of the quality of the game.

Getting the same game is hardly being "screwed over" as people seem to be suggesting.
First person to see reason on here and on reddit, I applaud you good sir.

People are getting their Jimmies rustled over nothing.

Burst6 said:
they're making the worst excuse i have ever heard coming out of a developer.

Second, PC's are weird. Some graphics cards work differently than others (Especially if you have an ATI card. Consoles use Nvidia cards), people have different processors, and the game needs to be properly optimized. If it isn't, bad things start to happen. A badly optimized game can horribly lag a game on even low settings with a decent rig. Not everyone has a really powerful PC either so the option to turn the graphics down lower than the console version is really useful. People need to be able to customize the graphics to properly suit their computer.
What?

You talk about optimisation and how different cards run things differently despite the benchmarks... then go ahead and say a game will conclusively run like crap regardless? How do you know the game isn't optimised, and why have you played the game before release you filthy pirate?

Really people, I'm beginning to remember why I quit reading posts by 'PC Elitists' who have the same line of thinking as the apartheid (not invoking Godwin's law yet!) that somehow one is better than the rest and that they should be treated as above the other gaming platforms.

I own every device that plays whatever games I like to play, and couldn't care less on what perceived 'injustices' may be inflicted on me (despite owning a pretty good hardware-wise PC) and making a lot of asinine assumptions all over the place. Getting annoyed because your version doesn't have DX11 when the others don't either is so elitist it's not funny.

Play the damn game and decide whether you like it or not instead of this arbitrary BS.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Ultimately, I don't care about having better graphics. If it plays identically well to previous PC Dead Space games it will still be a great experience I'm looking forward to. That said, his reasoning is idiotic. Why would anyone make that statement that we are not even going to try to cater an experience to a more powerful much more capable platform. Just the act of saying it is... well it's stupid. Lets look at textures. They make Hi Fidelity textures and then compress them to fit the hardware... just don't give us the compressed ones and the game will look far far far superior. I'm still looking forward to the game, but wow.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Legion said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Poor PC gamers, now you have to play the same game as everyone else. My heart bleeds.
Assuming the sarcasm is directed at the people up in arms about it, I agree. I don't see how having the same game as other platforms for a cheaper price is a bad thing. The only downside is the requirement of Origin, which would be needed regardless of the quality of the game.

Getting the same game is hardly being "screwed over" as people seem to be suggesting.
Origin: Fuck the police, get a crack.

Lack of a quality port: A bad console port isn't just unfulfilled graphics, but also bad controls. Really bad controls. Like, "So bad I literally can't play Dead Space 1 anymore because of the fucked up mouse smoothing" bad. Also, it is evidence that the developer cares only about making money as opposed to delivering the best experience possible for any possible player. Also, given the recent trends in the game market, I'm pretty sure most AAA developers (EA included) are charging $60 USD for their PC versions.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
DrunkOnEstus said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember Dead Space 1 and 2 looking much better at all on PC, even when forcing things through the driver control panel. And the first one had fucked up mouse aiming issues related to Vsync.
Indeed. And no patch only fan sourced work arounds. I gave up on the series (and developer) then and there. If a developer can't be bothered getting the basic functions right why the hell should I give them any money at all. Same with Saints Row 2 and the half wits who ported that steaming pile of dogshit (to be fair the game handles only slightly less than broken on console). Fuck them and the horse they rode in on when they can't even deliver basic gameplay on a premium priced game (that can't be refunded or returned).

What I read between the lines is: We are lazy and we don't give a fuck about PC.

That is fine I won't buy their crap. It really helps that I think their game (Dead Space that is what little I played of it) is dull.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Visceral Games' Dead Space 3 PC port
you see, that IS the problem. its a port, therefore it will be inferior whatever you do. and if you update it enough to not be different, its no longer a port.

The different control scheme - mouse and keyboard as opposed to controller - Papoutsis felt, would be enough to make the PC version feel different.
Yes, mosue and keyboard would make experience better. stop ruining it.\

Capcha: my dear watson.
well thank you.

Link Kadeshi

Oct 17, 2008
Guessing this means we PC gamers will get the DLC this time? Or are we not equal enough. Will we be excluded because you were gracious enough to give us mouse controls? Will I be able to use my mic to inform the game of commands, like with Kinect? Will the PS3? No? Ok, thought not. Seems equal enough to me...... WOW!
Legion said:
I don't see how having the same game as other platforms for a cheaper price is a bad thing. The only downside is the requirement of Origin, which would be needed regardless of the quality of the game.

I would like you to take a look at the price for DS3, and tell me if we're getting it cheaper: Amazon: Dead Space 3 for PC
As for Origin, I'm less likely to hate on it for Origin than the extra $10 we pay than we should (Wikipedia Reference: Console Tax). Also, he says the same experience on all platforms, but they couldn't even bother to sell PC gamers DLC armors for DS2. When they announced they were not going to, they wouldn't even just unlock the stupid things in a patch for free. They willfully made PC a worse choice. I am not asking for super High-Rez graphics, but if he says same experience, I'll hold him to it. DLC, and patches, and yes, I want video options in the menu. Not the same if it's not tweakable for the system, and laggy for it. (WARNING: Joke incomming) I also want puppies! Cute ones, this time. I wanna be able to cuddle them in area transitions. What? Why am I getting that look?

Jun 11, 2008
Nieroshai said:
AldUK said:
So in other words; "yes, the PC version will be a poorly done port-over with no optimization for better systems that many people might have wanted to take advantage of. Now excuse us, we're trying to see how many micro-transactions we can manage to squeeze into the game and get away with."
VanQQisH said:
"Let's make the PC version shitter than it has potential to be so that people on consoles don't have to feel like they're missing out."

Yeah, fuck you. Any developer that doesn't want their product to be the absolute best it can possibly be has their priorities seriously wrong. I love the Dead Space franchise but there are just too many things about this game that turn me off. This is the final, stupid straw. You have lost my money, Dead Space 3.
TheKasp said:
Huh... I thought that with advertisement you are supposed to point out the good stuff of your product? Advertising the shittiness of their port seems to miss that.
aegix drakan said:
Oh dear...That's not good...Stupid move EA.

And then the PC gamers rose up in rage and then turned to their local pirate hideaways, and then EA said "SEE! SEE! Thre is no point in being nice to PC gamers they're all pirates!!!" and thus completely missing the point that their business practices caused the gamers to pirate it in the first place...

EDIT: 0_o Apparently Visceral games decided on this course of action themselves...Huh. Well, nevermind the EA hate, then. Still, it's a VERY stupid move.
Waaghpowa said:
So every odd Dead Space is going to be awful then? 1 was an awful port with zero control options, 2 was actually good, now 3 is going to be awful?

If they can't be bothered to make a proper port then I wont be bothered to buy it. And by proper port, I don't mean 30 gigs of high res textures and special effects. I mean at least some decent optimization and textures that don't look like someone left them in their pocket when their pants went through the washing. And proper mouse controls, since one basically had none.
Snotnarok said:
That ....doesn't make sense, they squeeze every bit of power out of a console to make it look as good as the machine gets but to make it even they just shovel it onto PC instead of utilizing the hardware of that platform.

Make it as good as you can on everything and skip the lazy bull. There's tons of money behind this and they shovel it onto PC with less effort for the same price.
Jyrik said:
He wants everyone to have the same [inferior] experience.

Sorry, just sounds like a big rationalization for cutting corners, and it makes me think these probably aren't the only corners being cut. Probably not worth getting.
VanQQisH said:
I can't believe there are people here saying this is an acceptable practice. Let alone the ones defending it. Have we really become content with a developer being lazy as fuck and then telling us to be grateful they're even giving us a product they take our money for?
TheKasp said:
FoolKiller said:
Wow. There are a lot of fucking illiterate people here. The PC elitism is full of shit. There is nothing wrong with the game. It's not inferior. It's not bad. They just want everyone to have the same experience. The console experience is excellent so I don't get why the moronic hatred. And he never said they wouldn't optimize it for PC, rather they weren't going to make the game prettier on PC. It will still be gorgeous at 1080p. Sheesh.

The bigger issues will be the micro-transaction nonsense, the requirement of ORIGIN, and such.
I don't know what thread you are looking into but I don't see elitism here. But I'd rather guess that you have no clue what elitism is to begin with.

It is not elitism when I expect a product on a platform to perform in a manner that is related to the platforms capabilities. What may be a fine experience on consoles turn to a lacking one on PC for various reasons (be it poor optimisation, lack of control [that we need because every PC is different] or simply shitty usage of control peripherals). If I expect a game to be PC quality than I don't look at the gameplay but performance because that is the key. My hardware requires certain setting for a game to run smooth - I need to have the possibility to work with the game to get the best possible result. You don't have to do it on consoles - thus the console experience is different.

It is elitism if I would regard you as inferior or imply that your taste in gaming is wrong without any logic or valid reasons (like implying that consoleros are dirty peasants who hold gaming back because they don't play on PC - this would be elitism). This does not keep happening in this thread.

Also, you should work on your reading skills. If you glance over the original statement you may get the idea that they really aim for equal experience. But if you actually do read it you find that the statements support a lacking PC port due to lazyness - as well as the implication that I should be gratefull to get a shitty port to begin with.
Glademaster said:
So once again the Escapist shows it has more than its fair share of non PC gamers who do not understand the platform at all. Being told that on the PC you are getting the same game(fine) but with keyboard and mouse and that is it that is not ok for a PC game. The comment makes it sound like they are doing a lazy port with no graphics scaling except for high, medium and low with static keyboard controls. All I want from a port is to be stable, at least of equal quality, properly optimised and to customise my graphics to suit my PC rather than have static options which never do.

So sad that in the end, all we really care about is graphical detail. When I buy a PC game, I buy it because
A) it's PC exclusive
or
B) it was on sale on Steam.
Those of you who buy for graphics are missing the point of gaming altogether; good graphics don't make a good game and midrange graphics (by what standard I'll never know, modern consoles have great graphics) don't make a bad game. Try whining about gameplay, immersion, and story; you might sound more credible. For the record, on my machine (a gaming rig, mind you) I haven't even noticed enough of a graphical difference to say games are in any way made better by it. Unless we're talking Crysis, that is, and there we're talking made-for-next-gen material that no one runs on full anyway because they can't. (or rather couldn't when the game came out, I know I must specify for those who would think I don't check release dates. My rig still can't run HIGH setting on the FIRST installment without bad lag.)
Could you kindly point out what is being butt hurt about wanting a stable port that has rebind-able controls, of equal quality to consoles, properly optimised and being able to change graphics to turn off crap like shadows.

So yeah the main problem is not that it won't have superior graphical detail.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
As a PC Gamer I don't give two shits if it looks nicer. Just make sure it works properly and has adjustable graphics options.

I'm not worried, the first two games were fine in this regard. Although I hear a lot of people had issues with the mouse aiming in Dead Space 1.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Burst6 said:
Some graphics cards work differently than others (Especially if you have an ATI card. Consoles use Nvidia cards)
Uh no they don't. Xbox 360, Wii and the Wii U all use ATI, only the PS3 uses Nvidia (even then, Nvidia only helped make it, Sony did the rest).

PC gamers have different expectations, at least graphics-wise. Ports can still run well and even look great as long as its not a straight up laziness port. Hopefully the next console generation means better quality ports and hopefully less division between PC and console gamers. Its not that we're entitled, it's just that PC gamers have their own set of wants and needs and are grateful when developers take these into consideration. A good example is when Gearbox made BL2 the best game it could be on PC so not to have a repeat of the awful BL1 port.

When I spend $2000 on my gaming PC I at least want to know most devs will at least try to give me a decent game on my platform.

Atrocious Joystick

May 5, 2011
Wow escapist. You're like the gaming version of a bunch of gossipy, judgemental old grandmothers. Only you can turn "We're going to make sure the game works as well on PC as on consoles and give the same experience using a keyboard and mouse as with a controller but we won't be taking advantage of a modern gaming rig's extra juice" to "We are going to shit in your mouth and murder your mother and probably rape your dog."

A shitty port is laggy, has wonky control and movements and just generally works like a piece of crap. Not having extra graphical goodies doesn't mean it's a shitty port. DS2 was far from one and I see no reason to expect DS3 to be. You get the same game and experience for the same price. Fair is fair.

This forums needs to adopt a mental exercise. Every time you want to rage about a story involving EA (or any other company you dislike), imagine it was about Valve (or any other company you are fond of). If you wouldn't rage then don't rage at all.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
No.
You don't want to deliver the same experience to all platforms. You're supposed to deliver the best possible experience to all platforms. But what do I know, I'm just the guy buying this shit.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
MercurySteam said:
Burst6 said:
Some graphics cards work differently than others (Especially if you have an ATI card. Consoles use Nvidia cards)
Uh no they don't. Xbox 360, Wii and the Wii U all use ATI, only the PS3 uses Nvidia (even then, Nvidia only helped make it, Sony did the rest).
Whoops my mistake. I'll fix that in my original post.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
You'd ***** if a developer had said the 360/PS3 versions of a game wouldn't be set to the standard of other productions because it was also being released on the Wii, or at least I hope you would, because it's a dick move. What you expect from a developer is for them to optimise for each platform - especially when they're bumping the price up, as they are with DS3. (Not that it really matters in this day and digital age, but still.)

Nieroshai said:
A recent mid-range machine should easily be able to tackle Crysis on High. Besides which, I'd say porting concerns more often revolve around controls, graphical options (not the graphics themselves) and stuff like FOV.

OT: The idea is that you make your product appealing, chaps. Shocking news for EA's marketing department, I know.

miketehmage

Jul 22, 2009
Legion said:
DVS BSTrD said:

I'm just going to throw this out there, I wasn't gonna get Dead Space 3 anyway.

Okay cool, now that we've dealt with that, No it isn't getting screwed over but why would someone with a new PC want devs to be releasing games that are geared towards the old and shitty xbox360? I own an xbox360 btw before some fanboy's head explodes but the simple fact is that it is dated, and my PC is not. And I'd like to look at pretty things on my PC, because it is not dated. What the devs are doing is being lazy, or rushing to meet a deadline. Which is a real shame.

It upsets PC users because once again, the potential for games is being held back by out of date consoles.

And as for the guy you quoted, the way he wrote that to me sounds like he is talking to PC gamers as if it is something we were born into. Like "Oh the king lost his throne? Guess you'll have to be a peasant. Boo hoo." Well no, because it is not a birth right. Anyone can have a gaming PC for a similar price you'd pay for a console. So really if you make the choice to buy a console, and I make the choice to buy a PC, why should I be held back by your out of date hardware?