Dead Space 3 PC Won't Be Different From Console

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
...So what does that actually mean? Does it mean that we won't be getting extra content? Or does it mean that the PC port will have the same options as the game on consoles? Visceral should really clarify what they're trying to say here.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
V8 Ninja said:
...So what does that actually mean? Does it mean that we won't be getting extra content? Or does it mean that the PC port will have the same options as the game on consoles? Visceral should really clarify what they're trying to say here.
"PC port isn't going to be optimized differently from its console cousins, and that means that graphical fidelity will remain broadly the same across the board." It means that we wont get any graphics options, other than probably changing your screen resolution.

Jun 11, 2008
So once again the Escapist shows it has more than its fair share of non PC gamers who do not understand the platform at all. Being told that on the PC you are getting the same game(fine) but with keyboard and mouse and that is it that is not ok for a PC game. The comment makes it sound like they are doing a lazy port with no graphics scaling except for high, medium and low with static keyboard controls. All I want from a port is to be stable, at least of equal quality, properly optimised and to customise my graphics to suit my PC rather than have static options which never do.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Im both a PC and a Console gamer. But 90% of my time is spent on the PC, and ive put far more money into it than consoles over my lifetime. But i still say, "Get over it".

If you want something better than what the console is getting, play a game designed for pc. Dont be angry a company isnt sinking time and money it making your game look slightly better because you feel like anything less than 60fps is terrible.

Apr 5, 2008
"It's confusing to me that this question even comes up," says Visceral's Steve Papoutsis. "It's by no means any less important to us; it gets a lot of attention. The PC is a very different platform. As developers, you want to deliver an experience that's as similar as possible on different platforms."
Then you're fools who don't know how to make decent products. Only mass market, lowest common denominator shit.

"We want it to be great on all systems, that's our approach."
Well it can't be. What this says is that the game has been developed for the weakest platform and the studio CBAd to optimise it for the others. So instead of being great everywhere, it will suck equally, particularly on PC which has more memory and graphics processing power than 5 each of all current gen consoles combined.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Poor PC gamers, now you have to play the same game as everyone else. My heart bleeds.
Fuck it, I'll bite.

Try to imagine it in reverse. Game made for PC would get ported to consoles with same requirements as modern PC. Lags would be such that game would be barely playable. Sure, there is difference between graphic downgrade and unplayable lags but the point is, if you are making a game for some platform, you should optimize it for that platform otherwise why do you even bother?

Verkula

Oct 3, 2010
Uh...just try to release it without the bugs Dead Space 2 had on PC and everyone should be happy, and your forums wont be spammed with bitching.

Anyway im still buying it for my PS3 like all the others in the series.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
And when the 360 gets another month long stretch of hoarding all the DLC to itself?
Wrong thread?

This new info could make Total Biscuit's WTF video of Dead Space 3 a little more interesting.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Ed130 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
And when the 360 gets another month long stretch of hoarding all the DLC to itself?
Wrong thread?

This new info could make Total Biscuit's WTF video of Dead Space 3 a little more interesting.
"It'll be no different from any of the consoles, until of course the 360 gets first dibs on the DLC, which is then delayed for several months on PC and PS3."

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
Eh, kb/mouse support for superior controls is all that really matters. I have no clue why there is such angst because PC gamers have to use the same graphics.

In fact, if anything console gamers should be mad that the game doesn't support kb/mouse on their consoles.

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
And this... has anyone in the history of ever actually bought a 360 just because it gets SOME DLC a little early? To me it seems like M$ is pissing away money just to make people angry.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
...I'm sorry, I'm not seeing the problem here. If you're getting exactly the same as what console players are getting, what's the issue? Is it poor controls? Because this series has fairly good controls regardless of platform from what I've seen. Is it tech restrictions? Because I'm no PC nerd, but theoretically, any PC with roughly the same specs as a console could handle the game, right? Or is it not being able to mod stuff and acsess the command console? Well, that's not part of the actual game as far as I'm concerned. Yeah, hacks and mods are the main draws of the PC versions of games, but they're not part of the actual product, are they? I'm not trying to scilence anyone,[footnote]unless they're the kinda person that honestly belives all that "glorious PC gaming master race" crap[/footnote] I'm just trying to understand why this is getting so much hate.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
Gearhead mk2 said:
...I'm sorry, I'm not seeing the problem here. If you're getting exactly the same as what console players are getting, what's the issue? Is it poor controls? Because this series has fairly good controls regardless of platform from what I've seen. Is it tech restrictions? Because I'm no PC nerd, but theoretically, any PC with roughly the same specs as a console could handle the game, right? Or is it not being able to mod stuff and acsess the command console? Well, that's not part of the actual game as far as I'm concerned. Yeah, hacks and mods are the main draws of the PC versions of games, but they're not part of the actual product, are they? I'm not trying to scilence anyone,[footnote]unless they're the kinda person that honestly belives all that "glorious PC gaming master race" crap[/footnote] I'm just trying to understand why this is getting so much hate.
First of all a good PC port is becoming a new standard. A lot of companies are putting a good amount of work into adding the extra graphical options for PC's and most modern AAA ports are very customize able. They're not only being incredibly lazy and making a shoddy port, but they're making the worst excuse i have ever heard coming out of a developer.

Second, PC's are weird. Some graphics cards work differently than others, people have different processors, and the game needs to be properly optimized. If it isn't, bad things start to happen. A badly optimized game can horribly lag a game on even low settings with a decent rig. Not everyone has a really powerful PC either so the option to turn the graphics down lower than the console version is really useful. People need to be able to customize the graphics to properly suit their computer.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
Ed130 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Wrong thread?

"It'll be no different from any of the consoles, until of course the 360 gets first dibs on the DLC, which is then delayed for several months on PC and PS3."
Ahh, thanks for clearing that up!

You changed your avatar back already?

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Ed130 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Ed130 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Wrong thread?

Ahh, thanks for clearing that up!

You changed your avatar back already?
I have to protect my image! How else will people get their daily dosage of headdesks?

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
AldUK said:
So in other words; "yes, the PC version will be a poorly done port-over with no optimization for better systems that many people might have wanted to take advantage of. Now excuse us, we're trying to see how many micro-transactions we can manage to squeeze into the game and get away with."
VanQQisH said:
"Let's make the PC version shitter than it has potential to be so that people on consoles don't have to feel like they're missing out."

Yeah, fuck you. Any developer that doesn't want their product to be the absolute best it can possibly be has their priorities seriously wrong. I love the Dead Space franchise but there are just too many things about this game that turn me off. This is the final, stupid straw. You have lost my money, Dead Space 3.
TheKasp said:
Huh... I thought that with advertisement you are supposed to point out the good stuff of your product? Advertising the shittiness of their port seems to miss that.
aegix drakan said:
Oh dear...That's not good...Stupid move EA.

And then the PC gamers rose up in rage and then turned to their local pirate hideaways, and then EA said "SEE! SEE! Thre is no point in being nice to PC gamers they're all pirates!!!" and thus completely missing the point that their business practices caused the gamers to pirate it in the first place...

EDIT: 0_o Apparently Visceral games decided on this course of action themselves...Huh. Well, nevermind the EA hate, then. Still, it's a VERY stupid move.
Waaghpowa said:
So every odd Dead Space is going to be awful then? 1 was an awful port with zero control options, 2 was actually good, now 3 is going to be awful?

If they can't be bothered to make a proper port then I wont be bothered to buy it. And by proper port, I don't mean 30 gigs of high res textures and special effects. I mean at least some decent optimization and textures that don't look like someone left them in their pocket when their pants went through the washing. And proper mouse controls, since one basically had none.
Snotnarok said:
That ....doesn't make sense, they squeeze every bit of power out of a console to make it look as good as the machine gets but to make it even they just shovel it onto PC instead of utilizing the hardware of that platform.

Make it as good as you can on everything and skip the lazy bull. There's tons of money behind this and they shovel it onto PC with less effort for the same price.
Jyrik said:
He wants everyone to have the same [inferior] experience.

Sorry, just sounds like a big rationalization for cutting corners, and it makes me think these probably aren't the only corners being cut. Probably not worth getting.
VanQQisH said:
I can't believe there are people here saying this is an acceptable practice. Let alone the ones defending it. Have we really become content with a developer being lazy as fuck and then telling us to be grateful they're even giving us a product they take our money for?
TheKasp said:
FoolKiller said:
Wow. There are a lot of fucking illiterate people here. The PC elitism is full of shit. There is nothing wrong with the game. It's not inferior. It's not bad. They just want everyone to have the same experience. The console experience is excellent so I don't get why the moronic hatred. And he never said they wouldn't optimize it for PC, rather they weren't going to make the game prettier on PC. It will still be gorgeous at 1080p. Sheesh.

The bigger issues will be the micro-transaction nonsense, the requirement of ORIGIN, and such.
I don't know what thread you are looking into but I don't see elitism here. But I'd rather guess that you have no clue what elitism is to begin with.

It is not elitism when I expect a product on a platform to perform in a manner that is related to the platforms capabilities. What may be a fine experience on consoles turn to a lacking one on PC for various reasons (be it poor optimisation, lack of control [that we need because every PC is different] or simply shitty usage of control peripherals). If I expect a game to be PC quality than I don't look at the gameplay but performance because that is the key. My hardware requires certain setting for a game to run smooth - I need to have the possibility to work with the game to get the best possible result. You don't have to do it on consoles - thus the console experience is different.

It is elitism if I would regard you as inferior or imply that your taste in gaming is wrong without any logic or valid reasons (like implying that consoleros are dirty peasants who hold gaming back because they don't play on PC - this would be elitism). This does not keep happening in this thread.

Also, you should work on your reading skills. If you glance over the original statement you may get the idea that they really aim for equal experience. But if you actually do read it you find that the statements support a lacking PC port due to lazyness - as well as the implication that I should be gratefull to get a shitty port to begin with.
Glademaster said:
So once again the Escapist shows it has more than its fair share of non PC gamers who do not understand the platform at all. Being told that on the PC you are getting the same game(fine) but with keyboard and mouse and that is it that is not ok for a PC game. The comment makes it sound like they are doing a lazy port with no graphics scaling except for high, medium and low with static keyboard controls. All I want from a port is to be stable, at least of equal quality, properly optimised and to customise my graphics to suit my PC rather than have static options which never do.

So sad that in the end, all we really care about is graphical detail. When I buy a PC game, I buy it because
A) it's PC exclusive
or
B) it was on sale on Steam.
Those of you who buy for graphics are missing the point of gaming altogether; good graphics don't make a good game and midrange graphics (by what standard I'll never know, modern consoles have great graphics) don't make a bad game. Try whining about gameplay, immersion, and story; you might sound more credible. For the record, on my machine (a gaming rig, mind you) I haven't even noticed enough of a graphical difference to say games are in any way made better by it. Unless we're talking Crysis, that is, and there we're talking made-for-next-gen material that no one runs on full anyway because they can't. (or rather couldn't when the game came out, I know I must specify for those who would think I don't check release dates. My rig still can't run HIGH setting on the FIRST installment without bad lag.)

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Hi Totalbiscuit,

Ooo, Dead Space 3 twice in one episode.

Like he said, there's no reason to do this. They have the better looking game, but wont let people have it. Why?

SuperScrub

May 3, 2012
And suddenly my non existent boner for EA that hasn't moved since the ending of Mass Effect 3 suddenly twitches. Don't get me wrong I'm not going to play the game because I've already played Resident Evil 4 but any game company that can piss off PC gamers may be less evil than I originally thought.