Dead Space 3 PC Won't Be Different From Console

Vareoth

Mar 14, 2012
I just want it to run well on my system. I don't mind having the same graphics as the console versions.

Now please just take a chill pill and lie down for a bit, it will all be fine. And if you really can't handle it just don't buy it. There is no point in getting worked up about something you can't change.

I just expect it to be like 2, which was fine for a port.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
TheKasp said:
Nieroshai said:
Those of you who buy for graphics are missing the point of gaming altogether;
Oh shut up if you want to pull shit out of your ass. You throw baseless assumptions withouit even reading the posts you quoted and add a moronic picture to that.

You are just the typical example of someone who has no fucking clue what people are talking about and try to be smug about it. There is nothing to be proud of in your post.
woo! right on!

my concern here isnt about graphics, its about the game being able to run on a range of systms..less options means less optimizing

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Gethsemani said:
Really, a lot of multi-platform releases do that? Name me a few, because I am honestly drawing blanks here. The one I can think off is Dragon Age II which had a completely broken DX11-option (it took my, then, brand new gaming rig down to single digit frame rates). When it comes to games like CoD, Skyrim (did get a HD texture pack post-release though), Borderlands 2, GTA IV, Saints Row 3, Arkham City etc. there really doesn't seem to be many extra options for getting that extra bit of awesome out of the graphics. Most seem content to sit on the same level as their console counter-parts graphics wise.
Let me just count the options Skyrim had for one;
-Resolution
-Antialiasing
-Anisotrophic Filtering
-Texture Quality [NOT including HD texture patch]
-Radial Blur Quality
-Shadow Detail
-Decal Quantity
-FXAA
-Reflections in Water
-View Distances
-Detail on Distant Objects

Arkham City had;
-Antialiasing
-DX11
-DX11 Tessellation
-Detail Level
-Dynamic Shadows
-Motion Blur
-Distortion
-Lens Flare
-Light Shafts
-Reflections
-Ambient Occlusion
-PhysX

Haven't played the other games, so I can't comment on them.
However, those two at least do look different on PC compared to console. You might not agree, because its not PS2 vs PS3 level graphics difference, but the difference is there, and is quite noticeable to those who are used to the higher detail and extra shader effects and such. It kinda hurts to play something like Arkham City on a console because it does look very different to me, and is noticeably lower res, even on the same screen resolution, compared to the PC version.

As for multiplatform games with PC settings, you're really not trying too hard. MOST games offer options on the PC, and they're usually better than the console version because its really not that much effort to just shove in the original textures you downscaled to run on a console and label them "Ultra" in a texture setting, or to add in a FoV slider so that you can change a 1 integer variable in a config file somewhere. Examples recently; Sleeping Dogs, Battlefield 3, Farcry 3, TW2 and doubtless others that I haven't played because the 2012 lineup of games was decidedly average.
Its the reason why there is generally a big deal made out of these things; Its not rare for games to offer graphical options, its rare for them NOT to, and it is very easy to tell when they don't.
Granted, some games look alright either way, like the Mass Effect games, but you get things like Dark Souls or Darksiders, and they just look terrible. The textures end up upscaled from 720p [Because few console games actually render at 1080p, and a lot render even slightly below 720p just to get out that extra bit of performance] to either 1080p, 1440p or 1600p - dependent on what screen given person has - and that is the biggest noticeable difference IMO outside of shadows, which in a number of games are noticably blockier than Minecraft rather than smooth like a normal game.

Now, is it that big a deal... Maybe. It depends on how the game ends up looking anyway, and whether things really are locked down to a stupid extent where you almost have to go to more effort to lock them down like they were in Dark Souls, though I guess they get the excuse that they made the console version first which has to be locked down, and CBF unlocking when developing the PC version they never intended to make.

Anyway, I'm not thinking this is going to be a good PC port. Chance of no graphics options, certainly none that make it look better than it does on a console [Hopefully excluding Resolution and FPS. If they are locked down F*** you devs], possibility of low performance, likely bad control port seeing as their opinion towards it is a very casual "Well, yeah, we'll give you KB+M controls. That's enough right?", and likely no effort put into it at all. We'll see though. Could turn out decent.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Okay. That's weird.

I mean, it wouldn't stop me from playing DS3 (if I was going to play DS3, which I'm not for other reasons.) I played Silent Hill 4 on the PC, and it was in sharp competition with Saints Row 2 for "game in which the devs tried hardest to demonstrate they didn't give a rat's ass about making this port". But I was still glad to get a chance to play both games, and in this era when so many AAA titles never make it to the PC at all (especially because one or the other of the consoles got it as a frakking "exclusive"), occasionally I recognize that financial considerations are key and the platform likely to sell the least isn't going to get the most development time/money thrown at it.

A 1080p present-day console experience isn't bad; it's just not all a 4-6 core modern PC with video card(s) that came out in the last year or two is capable of. And that's what I find a little baffling. We're seeing plenty of developers gritting their teeth and moaning loudly about how this generation of console hardware is shattering their dreams and constraining their abilities to reach for the dynamically lit, photorealistic stars, by god. On the cusp of the next generation (and the unspoken auditions to be the providers of content for said generation), why would you actually make a public statement that amounts to, "Meh, good enough. We give up"? A marketer would say it's a sign of the total confidence they developer has in the product knocking our socks off, but I find that notion a little hard to swallow. Maybe Visceral is quietly coming to the conclusion that five million units isn't going to happen?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
TheKasp said:
Sometimes I am just sick of it, the assumptions that just because I want graphic options and good optimisation I have to be a graphics whore... I especially hate when those kind of peeps bug in discussions they know jack shit of. Well, it was worth the warning to get this crap of my chest.
hey man..you should be GRATEFUL they are giving us the option to use a mouse and keyboard! I mean most devs would expect us to but a controller to-
...oh wait

Callate said:
and in this era when so many AAA titles never make it to the PC at all
I wouldnt even go that far...

the other day a friend asked me what exclusives the PS3 had (her boyfreind wanted to play a certain game on the console) I stopped and actually thourght about games that werent on PC worth playing and I could only think of Infamous (PS3 exclusive) and Red dead not enough to justify a console purchase

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
FelixG said:
I am still quite annoyed that Rockstar was stupid enough not to put Red Dead on PC.

That woulda sold extremely well, but nope, they decided to go full retard on that one.
Imagine Red Dead with graphical improvments-yeeeeees

imagine Red Dead with Mod graphical improvments- YEEEEEEEEESS!!!!

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Oh good, yet another reason to not buy it. Like I needed one.

Are they just going out and admitting that they want to do as little work as possible in order to maximise profit at the expense of their reputation? Because that's certainly what it looks like here.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Easton Dark said:
Hi Totalbiscuit,

Ooo, Dead Space 3 twice in one episode.

Like he said, there's no reason to do this. They have the better looking game, but wont let people have it. Why?
Awesome video, I love TB's channel so much =D

Jim Sterling may want to watch this one.

V3rtig0

Mar 3, 2012
Once again a potentially great game is bogged down in several aspects by the limitations of 7 year old consoles. Good thing I care the most about gameplay, then sounds and atmosphere, the story, and graphics come last. Hopefully DS3 can still deliver.