Dead Space 3 Resource Exploit "Not a Glitch", Says EA

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
....ok now I'm just confused. They wanted our money, but they put in a grindable place so we wouldn't have to give them our money...my head hurts. Oh well, back to the grind.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Aeonknight said:
VanQQisH said:
W-we never actually wanted your money, anyway! W-we totally put this in the game on purpose so you could circumvent our microtransactions. Really guys, believe us! We're the good guys!

Yeah, what a load of bullshit. An exploit was found by players and used by them because they were mad about your shitty DLC policies. And you won't ban the people that bought your game because you need them to say to other people that they thought the game was good so others can buy it so you can recoup your 5 million copy investment. Lying to us about it isn't going to save you any face.

Even if this is true, what kind of shitty design philosophy is it to build a game with resource management and then give the player infinite resources? That's fucking stupid and you know it.
Scavenger bots say hello.

If a player wanted to they could deploy scavenger bots regardless of whether or not you're at a resource cache, and still pull in some resources. It's usually something very minimal, like 5-15ish of each, but it's there.

It's incredibly inefficient compared to the shack, or just playing the game normally, but it's there. And it's presence as a game mechanic backs up EA's stance on the whole situation.

Sorry to burst your EVIL MANDATORY DLC PRACTICES bubble, but I'm kind of surprised that any developer that gives it's players options is suddenly treated as some super bad thing. If the player wants to pay for shortcuts to progress that can be acquired for free through other means, EA would be stupid for not wanting to take their money.

The funny part is how this is becoming a trend with other companies. Namco gave players the ability to purchase new game+ perks for the game Tales of Graces F, things like increased XP or increased ability points and such.
So does being able to replay any chapter or side mission. During the first optional mission I found a cache of 20 whole tungsten. So I replayed it (quite easily from the menu) and found 23 tungsten (which added to the original 20). I guess they plan on fixing this "exploit" as well judging from the responses

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Karathos said:
It's just hilarious. In a really, -really- sad way. If EA had removed this, people would be crying bloody murder about how they're removing the respawning nodes just to maximize their microtransaction profits. Now that they're actually doing something nice and aren't removing it, people are still crying bloody murder because they're lying.

Who cares if they're lying? They did something right for the players, and people are still complaining. Just unbelieveably petty, guys.
Like I said earlier EA could solve world hunger and bring about world peace, and people would still come on these forums and ***** about them in the news post about that.

It's absurd. It's at a point where they haven't made anyone this cynical, people just latch onto this because they know others will agree. It's a mob mentality. And this place is RAMPANT with that.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
squid5580 said:
Aeonknight said:
So does being able to replay any chapter or side mission. During the first optional mission I found a cache of 20 whole tungsten. So I replayed it (quite easily from the menu) and found 23 tungsten (which added to the original 20). I guess they plan on fixing this "exploit" as well judging from the responses
Did you even read the post? The point is they aren't changing it. It's staying in the game.

Zeles

Oct 3, 2009
I don't think that even if it WAS always supposed to be delibrate, that it's good game design. Ideally, if you wanted to give a player a crafting system, you would scatter parts all over the map. That way, collecting them would go hand in hand with progressing the story. But because you can just go in a shack, exit, and come back in, you're breaking the story progression and just giving the player busywork.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Frostbite3789 said:
squid5580 said:
Aeonknight said:
Did you even read the post? The point is they aren't changing it. It's staying in the game.
Did you read mine? Here is a hint. It is the last line. Are you so jaded you assume that someone who is agreeing with you is still out to get you?

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
squid5580 said:
Frostbite3789 said:
squid5580 said:
Aeonknight said:
Did you read mine? Here is a hint. It is the last line. Are you so jaded you assume that someone who is agreeing with you is still out to get you?
I must be misreading it, because I still don't understand, in which case it's my reading comprehension that's at fault. It looks like you're saying they're going to fix the ability to collect these resources multiple times if you replay a mission. I'm apparently wrong. But that's how I'm reading it.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
The amount of people trying soooooo haaaaaaaard to hate EA for this somehow, ANYhow, is absolutely hilarious.

Keep it up, guys! I still have tons of popcorn!

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Frostbite3789 said:
squid5580 said:
Frostbite3789 said:
squid5580 said:
Aeonknight said:
I must be misreading it, because I still don't understand, in which case it's my reading comprehension that's at fault. It looks like you're saying they're going to fix the ability to collect these resources multiple times if you replay a mission. I'm apparently wrong. But that's how I'm reading it.
Judging from most of the responses here you would think they would do something like that. But no that is not what I am saying. I understand what they did. If you don't want to replay the same chapter/mission or aren't the type of player who wants to go into the same room a billion times you can buy the same results instead. Although by chapter 7 I was drowning in resources without doing either (that extra 20 tungsten was hardly time efficient compared to normal play). Not to mention the extra weapons you get with the pass it seems like a pointless feature to include the microtransaction thing. And even more pointless to rage about it (not that I am saying you are).

It's funny cuz the thing they got wrong IMHO is the thing no one is talking about. 400 MS points for the personality pack is what we should be raging about. I find it hard to believe that it isn't on the disc and we are paying to unlock it. Or that it was added as an afterthought.

And at 108KB for all that extra dialogue it looks like I am not wrong

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
squid5580 said:
Judging from most of the responses here you would think they would do something like that. But no that is not what I am saying. I understand what they did. If you don't want to replay the same chapter/mission or aren't the type of player who wants to go into the same room a billion times you can buy the same results instead. Although by chapter 7 I was drowning in resources without doing either (that extra 20 tungsten was hardly time efficient compared to normal play). Not to mention the extra weapons you get with the pass it seems like a pointless feature to include the microtransaction thing. And even more pointless to rage about it (not that I am saying you are).

It's funny cuz the thing they got wrong IMHO is the thing no one is talking about. 400 MS points for the personality pack is what we should be raging about. I find it hard to believe that it isn't on the disc and we are paying to unlock it. Or that it was added as an afterthought.

And at 108KB for all that extra dialogue it looks like I am not wrong
Ohhhh, ok. I gotcha now. You're saying based on people's reactions that's what they'd do. But they aren't, and people are still acting like EA is screwing them somehow.

Dustin Matheny

Feb 10, 2013
Well, EA is screwing people over. Cheat codes used to be free and now they are not. That by itself is something to feel upset about.

The game encourages you to purchase these packs. If you don't want to buy them, you can resort to farming for resources in the same area for a while, which is monotonous and stupid. If you want to have more fun, then buy the game twice!

Here's a question. Does anyone want to buy one of these? Does it seem like a good deal? Does it seem like it would make the game BETTER? I do not see any upside to these micro transactions, only downsides. The game would be better without them. EA can just sell us more missions and episodes and new guns and stuff instead. But this resource stuff is just a disaster.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
I can not believe I'm about to defend EA here but, that's seems to be the case ...

DOES NO ONE KNOW WHAT 'OPTIONAL' MEANS ANY MORE?!

EA said from THE VERY BEGINNING the micro-transactions where never meant to replace in-game material drops

That means you don't need to pay up to get your gear -.- all you 'knee jerk EA haters' DO understand that right?

Look I hate EA as much as the next guy on these forums but it pays to actually READ and UNDERSTAND what they are doing before getting your collective panties in a twist, and this is one of those times when we should really just kick back and not cry about how evil EA is

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Frankster said:
Triple post... I blame the silly catchpra pestering me about some show on C4 that is out on feb the 11th... And then telling me i got it wrong when i typed in correct answer, therefore making me think more about this silly show...><
I hate tha C4 advert! If I want to watch crap there's plenty of it on youtube I don't need to watch fucking Channel 4 and let them reap the advertising revenue ¬____¬

ThriKreen

May 26, 2006
Lunar Templar said:
Yeah, I've been pointing that out for awhile now. I seem to have missed the memo where "optional" meant "forced" the way some people harp on about this or that.

And to those that think they're lying - do you really think the crafting designer wouldn't have realized this would occur with respawning resources? Or as others have mentioned, you can replay chapters specifically for farming and your resources are persistent across plays? (Aside from the special hardcore ones obviously.)

carlh267

Jun 4, 2012
Frostbite3789 said:
Karathos said:
It's just hilarious. In a really, -really- sad way. If EA had removed this, people would be crying bloody murder about how they're removing the respawning nodes just to maximize their microtransaction profits. Now that they're actually doing something nice and aren't removing it, people are still crying bloody murder because they're lying.

Who cares if they're lying? They did something right for the players, and people are still complaining. Just unbelieveably petty, guys.
Like I said earlier EA could solve world hunger and bring about world peace, and people would still come on these forums and ***** about them in the news post about that.

It's absurd. It's at a point where they haven't made anyone this cynical, people just latch onto this because they know others will agree. It's a mob mentality. And this place is RAMPANT with that.
This place? More like the entire internet. Everything EA has done, and ever will do, will be considered poison by the internet thanks to the mob mentality that occurs with virtual anonymity.

EA has made some mind-bogglingly stupid decisions over the years, but at this point the mindless hate is really just pathetic. I defer to Adam Sessler on the issue of Dead Space's microtransactions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_wAZDHdU0eo#t=287s

He starts talking about it around 5 minutes in. I don't know how to embed videos that start at a specific point in the video, sorry :(.

Dustin Matheny

Feb 10, 2013
I would argue that even if you don't purchase a single resource pack, you are being negatively affected by them. I am arguing that the game is intentionally unbalanced and broken to some degree. The game has a problem built into it (the grind), and EA will sell you the solution.

These micro transactions are a feature that has no upside for the player. If I purchase a game I should be able to play it however I want. I should have cheat codes for free. It's anti-consumer, insulting, and bad and awful and no good and also bad. It's a bad thing.

Edit: EA is not some horrible nightmare company. Evil is too strong a word. Perhaps Zynga is an evil company but EA is not anywhere near as abusive. And as a company they have made some very innovative original titles. ESPECIALLY Dead Space. I think they'll have some amazing next gen titles at this next E3. I just don't like the things they try to get away with.

When you think about it, EA is not the evil Empire. EA is Darth Vader, and its investors are the Emperor!

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
ThriKreen said:
Lunar Templar said:
Yeah, I've been pointing that out for awhile now. I seem to have missed the memo where "optional" meant "forced" the way some people harp on about this or that.
I missed that memo to. I mean I'm all for pointing out EA's failings, but this seems to be a case of people complaining case *gasp* EA did 'something', instead of taking the time to see if that 'something' is even worth complaining about.

And to those that think they're lying - do you really think the crafting designer wouldn't have realized this would occur with respawning resources? Or as others have mentioned, you can replay chapters specifically for farming and your resources are persistent across plays? (Aside from the special hardcore ones obviously.)
Your asking for common sense, which is incredibly rare to begin with, from the 'EA hate group'? >.> good luck with that.

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
Its unbelieveable just how much butthurt there is in this thread.

EA is damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Having actually played the game all the way through (and loved every second of it) instead of instantly jumping on the EA hate bandwagon just because there is the OPTION of paying for resources like most of the "people" (not for lack of a better term) on this site seem to have done, I can say that the resource microtransactions aren't even visible unless you go looking for them.

TLDR; The internet, escapist community in particular, once again makes a mountain out of a molehill.

Tumedus

Jul 13, 2010
Dustin Matheny said:
I would argue that even if you don't purchase a single resource pack, you are being negatively affected by them. I am arguing that the game is intentionally unbalanced and broken to some degree. The game has a problem built into it (the grind), and EA will sell you the solution.

These micro transactions are a feature that has no upside for the player. If I purchase a game I should be able to play it however I want. I should have cheat codes for free. It's anti-consumer, insulting, and bad and awful and no good and also bad. It's a bad thing.

Edit: EA is not some horrible nightmare company. Evil is too strong a word. Perhaps Zynga is an evil company but EA is not anywhere near as abusive. And as a company they have made some very innovative original titles. ESPECIALLY Dead Space. I think they'll have some amazing next gen titles at this next E3. I just don't like the things they try to get away with.

When you think about it, EA is not the evil Empire. EA is Darth Vader, and its investors are the Emperor!
The problem with your argument is that it ignores the fact that that the "grind" was present in the previous incarnations of the game. You know before EA put in the microtransactions. Heck, by all accounts, this entry is less grindy than the previous.

If a trait of the game existed before a certain change occurred, then logically, that change cannot be the catalyst for the trait. It's that simple.

The MT, in this case, was actually put in to allow players to break the game. The players choose to make it unbalanced, as in too easy. Its really no different than starting the game with the DLC force gun in DS2. Having that weapon in the early chapters makes it ridiculously simple.

Edit: and, as has already been pointed out, this "exploit" existed in one form or another in both of the previous titles, making it hard to believe they are really lying about this.