Dead Space 3 Resource Exploit "Not a Glitch", Says EA

neoontime

I forgot what this was before...
Jul 10, 2009
Dreiko said:
VanQQisH said:
W-we never actually wanted your money, anyway! W-we totally put this in the game on purpose so you could circumvent our microtransactions. Really guys, believe us! We're the good guys!
You just made EA sound cute and tsundere there...damn you...damn youuuuu...now I'll never be able to be mad at EA ever again without thinking that she loves me secretly...>_<
Haha, thank you. Glad I wasn't the only one who caught that.
OT: Yeah, sounds like a cop out but it good either way. Hopefully it isn't patched and just kept in like in the other games.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
It seems the only people who are saying "IT'S A LIE I KNOW IT I JUST KNOW IT" are people who haven't played the game, while people who have played it disagree.

dessertmonkeyjk

Nov 5, 2010
It's not a problem to just ignore the optional micro-transaction thing, is it? Your not forced to use it and understandably an feature could be disposed of if it's hardly used.

Then again, you are so smarter then I.

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
On one hand, at least they're not insisting that players pay for said resources with real money. This is very non-EA of them. This makes me suspicious and leads me to the other hand, where I conclude that EA is lying so hard that even a politician would be shocked.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Adam Jensen said:
I don't for a second believe that they aren't butthurt by this. It took them a while to respond for a reason. But I'm glad this is the response they decided to go with. Mostly because I predicted that they would, and I like being right. But also because it means that they aren't completely detached from reality. Which is good.

We'll see how honest they were with this response in their next shooter with micro transactions.

Aeonknight said:
It's OPTIONAL.
For now. Seriously, were you living under a rock for the past several years? Companies add those "optional" things in order to gain more money. When that fails they make optional into something you have to buy if you want to have it. It happened with cheats in some games. It happened with alternate outfits, skins and weapons that were once unlockables for completing challenges. It even happened with characters in fighting games.
You got it 100% right. Play any game in the ps2 and before era and you have unlockable costumes, cheat codes, and much more goodies inside games. Now it is considered an "optional" luxury and we should be grateful to have the option of paying for something that until this generation has always been included.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
Let me get this straight.

Some people are willing to pay EA so that they don't need to play the game that they bought from them in the first place. This is where I ask myself how long before they start splicing chunks of deliberately shitty gameplay into the main game that you must either have to play or pay your way through.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Paradoxrifts said:
Let me get this straight.

Some people are willing to pay EA so that they don't need to play the game that they bought from them in the first place. This is where I ask myself how long before they start splicing chunks of deliberately shitty gameplay into the main game that you must either have to play or pay your way through.
As soon as we let them. Really that is all there is too it. The second we sit there and say these practices arn't so bad and I don't mind it, it will become mandatory.

I personally have seen this through the years. Publishers constantly try and push the bounds and see where we lash back. If we don't then it becomes a standard and they push the next boundary so on and so forth.

Look at DLC if you need evidence for how they could take a good idea and abuse it. When DLC was first introduced everyone was excited for it because people thought developers would extend gameplay on top of the actual game. However, what we got was they took pieces of the game out in order to resell it to us after we already bought the game. Now I admit there are some DLC that does it right but around a good 9/10 DLC's I see are pure cash grabs.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
i cant believe people are finding an excuse to get mad at them about this. if you have read any of my posts about EA youd know im boycotting them but i can fault them here. who cares if they're lying about them desiging it this way to save face, every company you like does. fact of the matter is they arent changing it any time soon. that is something we should actually praise them for here

it does kind of make me a little bit ashamed to be an EA hater because im still going to be lumped in with the rest of the people who are complaining for the sake of complaining

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
This is totally inexplicable. What are they...even...I don't...I'm confused. I think I need to lie down.

QuadFish

God Damn Sorcerer
Dec 25, 2010
As much as I'm not sure whether or not they're being totally honest here, it's silly to assume they're lying just because this "circumvents" their microtransactions. It circumvents nothing! Smart developers don't try to oppose these kinds of things, because it wouldn't lose them any money anyway unless it was severely broken. The money option is there for people who have no problem paying a small amount to save time, not to give players something they couldn't otherwise have. That's why you have games like TF2 on one end of the spectrum, where unnecessary cosmetic hats are expensive as balls and maps/weapons/gamemodes are free, and on the other end of the spectrum you have games like Civ V and CoD where whole expansions and maps are paid and you end up with community fragmentation when person X can't play with persons Y and Z because they haven't paid for a race or a map the host has. Intuitively the latter offers better "value" but it has worse consequences on the game as a whole, but the audience they're appealing to generally comes down to two options, "willing to spend more money" and "can't be bothered to get out credit card". Whether your DLC cost $2 or $5 barely matters since it only appeals to a small niche that is willing to spend more money on their game for some benefit.

tl;dr I genuinely don't think EA's worried about this affecting their DLC money. I also genuinely don't know if they're just bluffing about a development mistake, but don't blame this on money.

Puppythief

Apr 24, 2011
Wow. EA is really turning things around. *snicker, snicker* Maybe I'll give them another HMPFF. Another cha---
BAWHAHAHAHA

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Kopikatsu said:
Skeleon said:
I guess people who actually paid additional money feel pretty silly now. Well, except if they didn't want to bother farming that room. Or is it really late in the game?
It's chapter 8, so less than halfway through. But Chapter 1 drowns you in ammo and health, and chapter 7 drowns you in resources. The game has a chapter select feature. People who paid for the resources should feel silly anyway, because at no point do you ever need the additional resources.
Hm, interesting. Yeah, that definitely doesn't sound too bad or too far off.
Never mind the fact that I generally don't think you should pay additional money for a shortcut like that, it really sounds very pointless to even have microtransactions then.
Which is good!

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
aegix drakan said:
And being able to easily (if tediously) farm your way to maximum power is conducive to a good horror game....How?
While you make a valid point but dead space is not really trying to be a full on horror game. Then again the game also has chapter select so even if this didnt exist you could just farm earlier parts of the game.

The previous two games basically had the exact same thing as thing where there was easy to farm respawning resources. Although this farming method is actually kind of silly for most because its slower then just playing through the game.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
So instead of looking stupid by admitting their game has a bug they're choosing to look stupid by claiming they wanted people to circumvent their own system.

LifeMakesMeLOL

May 12, 2012
I understand why people would assume EA is full of it after all the shit they've pulled over the years, but I really do believe them on this one. Dead Space 3's micro transactions seem to be nothing more then short cuts for impatient players, and I doubt EA would overlook how easily you can get resources with a couple of simple exploits.

Either way, this one is good for DS3 players so just chill out guys.