Dead Space 3: The Line

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
It's true, when someone else is there, it does diffuse some of the tension of a horror situation...of course, you could argue having ONE other person with you can only do so much for your confidence when you're facing a slathering horde of THOUSANDS of twisted abominations from an insane asylum inmate's nightmares, some of them the size of a freight train. But that depends a lot on how immersed the two of you get into the game. If you both talk in calm tones and tense whispers about the game's content, that maintains focus and atmosphere. But if you start shooting the breeze about the Super Bowl or how much the latest Michael Bay film sucks, then that's definitely going to break the mood. Of course, as some have already pointed out, Dead Space hasn't been supremely scary in general; not in the same way as games like some of the Silent Hill franchise or Amnesia: The Dark Descent. I'd call it a good sci fi thriller with its good startling moments, but not often that genuinely SCARY. So adding a co-op really won't do all that much to it, I figure.

Oh, and as for the comic..."Cotton-Eye Joe" isn't bad, but I would have gone with "The Hamster Dance".

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Yeah, you look positively terrified there Erin.

BTW thanks Grey, now I have that song stuck in my head!

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I still find it strange that there's co-op in Dead Space. This is gonna take some getting used to, and I'd image the last panel will go down like normal co-op would.
sky14kemea said:
God damnit, I just spent last week trying to get that song out of my head!

I'm being coerced into playing Dead Space 3 by a friend. I hope there is still some of the terror, 'cause his screams are hilarious. :D
While I agree that that damn song is now stuck in my head, but how in the hell did you manage to hear it before now?
I like listening to really old 90's music when I draw...

RandomMan01

Sep 18, 2012
Lazy said:
I don't understand the title.
It is a play on "Spec Ops: The Line". "Cotton-Eyed Joe", the song they were singing and dancing to in the last panel, is a line dance, and they are playing Dead Space 3. Hence the "title Dead Space 3: The Line"

Lazy

Aug 12, 2012
RandomMan01 said:
Lazy said:
I don't understand the title.
It is a play on "Spec Ops: The Line". "Cotton-Eyed Joe", the song they were singing and dancing to in the last panel, is a line dance, and they are playing Dead Space 3. Hence the "title Dead Space 3: The Line"
Thanks for clearing that up.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I'm still shocked people forget that Dead Space: Extraction had co-op. But it was on the Wii, so, like, I guess nobody cared.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008

Some people may be outraged at the idea of a survival horror franchise going more towards action and less towards horror/terror, but hardly any series manages to keep up that aspect, inevitably after you'd been facing the same threat and just upping the ante, it's going to turn into an action series.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing, see Resident Evil 4.

Trishbot said:
I'm still shocked people forget that Dead Space: Extraction had co-op. But it was on the Wii, so, like, I guess nobody cared.
People didn't care when it was ported to PS3 with Move controller either.

People just don't care about rail shooters. I don't know why, or if that is even true, but yeah.

Fluxlunanos

Forgot to remember to forget.
Jun 26, 2011
knight steel said:
Why am I reminded of this song when I read this comic:
Dude, I seriously used to hum that while stomping on Necromorphs back in the first two. Also of note, the comic got that bit from the song wrong- its actually "I can feel it coming in the air tonight, Hold on". (Goodness knows I have heard me mum sing it enough...).

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
blackrave said:
Grahav said:
blackrave said:
Grahav said:
Be it books, games, movies or real life the fear is weakened if you are with someone.
Co-op book?
How it can be even remotely possible?
Read it to someone. Children like that.
O_O
I...
You...
It...
...actually makes sense :/
In long car trips I used to read "Choose your Own Adventure" books to my sisters. Fun, and a great way to kill time.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I don't know, if the game is frightening to begin with co-op can be scary. System Shock 2 used to be scary, but then again that meant there were even less weapons and ammo to go round. In a game like Dead Space that has no tension to begin with I can't see how it would matter.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
(checks youtube to see if someone has made this mashup)

ah well, only a matter of time.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
redknightalex said:
Now what would be interesting is, if in co-op mode, you were capable of becoming separated from your partner and run around the levels trying to find them again. Might make things a tad more interesting and bring back that sense of isolation.

Nothing like losing what you took for granted.
Thats a good idea.

OT: I don't think the idea of having a partners SUCH a bad idea but coincidering how 'killy' the guns can get, two moving ordanace platforms might be overkill.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I watched a let's play of the Dead Space 3 demo online recently and it seems that the co-op characters sometimes suffer from hallucinations (ala Issac in Dead Space 1 and 2) but because it's only one character at a time, the other player can't see what their partner is seeing. I can't see that element alone solving the co-op problem but it did look like it was a way to start driving the feeling of separation between two players,

EDIT: Here's the vid:

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Aw, it's good to see those two getting a long better now. Oh, you meant the tension in the game. I didn't know there was any.
Makin' necromorph soup, necromorph soup,
It's a very simple recipe, just giblets, guts, 'n' goop.
Why didn't you guys have them sing that in panel #3?